Michigan OCI 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:14 pm

Anyone know where to find the information about Summer Associate class size for 2013 for each employer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know where to find the information about Summer Associate class size for 2013 for each employer?

+ 1 .... I'm interested in this as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:19 pm

donniedarko wrote:
steele wrote: The only firm that requests a cover letter is Paul Hastings

This is what I was told as well. My understanding was that the letter was supposed to address the "why this city" question...

Does anyone know what the required formate for the letter is?

i think it's just a normal cover letter? where does it say/where did you hear that it's supposed to address the 'why this city' question?

donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
donniedarko wrote:

This is what I was told as well. My understanding was that the letter was supposed to address the "why this city" question...

i think it's just a normal cover letter? where does it say/where did you hear that it's supposed to address the 'why this city' question?

Office of career planning let me know after I asked them...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:29 pm

donniedarko wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
donniedarko wrote:

Office of career planning let me know after I asked them...

ah and i see on symplicity it says 'cover letter indicating office interest'. thanks for pointing that out, i would have overlooked it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know where to find the information about Summer Associate class size for 2013 for each employer?

On nalpdirectory, I'm pretty sure if you look at the hiring grid for each firm it shows the expected class size for next year

donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:33 pm

[/quote] ah and i see on symplicity it says 'cover letter indicating office interest'. thanks for pointing that out, i would have overlooked it.[/quote]

No Prob!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:42 pm

donniedarko wrote:
ah and i see on symplicity it says 'cover letter indicating office interest'. thanks for pointing that out, i would have overlooked it.[/quote]

No Prob![/quote]

Is it too late to upload the special resume/cover letter for Paul Hastings (since the deadline for uploading your resume has passed)? Also, are we supposed to write a full cover letter, or just a paragraph indicating office preference?

donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:44 pm

I'm a transfer and I was told that the dates were flexible for us because some transfers didn't get in until after the deadlines listed...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Is it too late to upload the special resume/cover letter for Paul Hastings (since the deadline for uploading your resume has passed)? Also, are we supposed to write a full cover letter, or just a paragraph indicating office preference?

Curious about this too, I unbid Paul Hastings because I assumed everyone would just take a resume.

donniedarko

Postby donniedarko » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, are we supposed to write a full cover letter, or just a paragraph indicating office preference?

Would love to know this too

eastcoast_iub

Postby eastcoast_iub » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:02 pm

Stupid question: who should Hastings cover letter be addressed to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20 pm

Anybody willing to critique my tentative bid list?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:50 pm

donniedarko wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Also, are we supposed to write a full cover letter, or just a paragraph indicating office preference?

Would love to know this too

Did we find out the answer to this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 am

Anyone know when/where we submit our bid list? Trying to get in touch with Career Center now but they have been slow to respond.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know when/where we submit our bid list? Trying to get in touch with Career Center now but they have been slow to respond.

I'm kinda hoping you're joking because the emails have been non-stop.

The email yesterday said:

Just a friendly reminder that bidding closes at 5pm EDT on July 25th (today). No exceptions!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:47 pm

when do we find out our interview schedule? anyone have any idea?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:when do we find out our interview schedule? anyone have any idea?

August 15th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:07 pm

15th is not a set date. I am the Anon from above and I turned in my bid list late because I was unaware of the deadline (I use my personal email over the summer, which I explained to CS). Apparently they say it’s the 15th every year (or a week or so before whenever EIW starts), but the lists usually come out like the 18th or 19th. One of the lawyers at the career office told me that since an unusual number of people are submitting late this year (transfers, out of the country, etc.) the lists will be released later than usual.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:15th is not a set date. I am the Anon from above and I turned in my bid list late because I was unaware of the deadline (I use my personal email over the summer, which I explained to CS). Apparently they say it’s the 15th every year (or a week or so before whenever EIW starts), but the lists usually come out like the 18th or 19th. One of the lawyers at the career office told me that since an unusual number of people are submitting late this year (transfers, out of the country, etc.) the lists will be released later than usual.

So you clearly have a better idea of when the interview schedule will be released than the rest of us who actually read the OCI packet and followed directions...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:15th is not a set date. I am the Anon from above and I turned in my bid list late because I was unaware of the deadline (I use my personal email over the summer, which I explained to CS). Apparently they say it’s the 15th every year (or a week or so before whenever EIW starts), but the lists usually come out like the 18th or 19th. One of the lawyers at the career office told me that since an unusual number of people are submitting late this year (transfers, out of the country, etc.) the lists will be released later than usual.

wait, seriously? this is five days (or less) before the actual interviews. i wish we knew earlier. :evil: :evil:

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:

wait, seriously? this is five days (or less) before the actual interviews. i wish we knew earlier. :evil: :evil:

Last year the 2Ls let OCS know that they wanted schedules earlier, and OCS complied. Share you angst with them. I'll be sharing mad angst.

clint4law

Postby clint4law » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:46 am

any tips on the cleanest way to print an unofficial transcript? the good old fashion print feature is not working. tried copying and pasting, but was unsuccessful.

lawyergirl47

Postby lawyergirl47 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:05 pm

buckilaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Last year the 2Ls let OCS know that they wanted schedules earlier, and OCS complied. Share you angst with them. I'll be sharing mad angst.

...... anyone want to start an email campaign to OCS asking to get schedules earlier. I mean, we're already one of the last OCI's happening, we need all the help we can get...

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:52 pm

lawyergirl47 wrote:
buckilaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

...... anyone want to start an email campaign to OCS asking to get schedules earlier. I mean, we're already one of the last OCI's happening, we need all the help we can get...

Maybe something like:

dear so and so,

I and a good number of my classmates feel that a five day window between the release of OCI interviewing schedules and OCI hinder our ability to adequately prepare for our interviews. We would greatly appreciate it if your office would consider releasing interviewing schedules sometime before August 15th.

Sincerely,
Buckilaw

Short sweet and to the point. If OCS gets around 100 or so they might get the idea.

Return to “Legal Employment”