Michigan OCI 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a callback from Cadwalader (NY) and Varnum (Grand Rapids, MI) on Wednesday and heard back from Mayer Brown (Chicago) and Jenner & Block (Chicago) Thursday.

heard back = call back???

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Any word from Kramer Levin, Kasowitz for NY, and Nixon Peabody for Boston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:05 pm

kasowitz CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:kasowitz CB

When? Stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can someone speak to the normal amount of class time people miss for callbacks? Missing anything makes me nervous, and I'm already looking at one full week, at least.

Michigan 3L here. Last year, I didn't have class on Fridays. In spite of trying to schedule only Friday callbacks, I still missed about 3-4 days of class all said. It did not hurt me at all. I have a few good friends that spent a full week in the city they wanted to work in doing callbacks. It did not hurt either of them. The only caveat is that, if you are in a seminar, I know some seminar professors will not allow any absences. Schedule around your seminars.

A few other things that may be helpful: (1) If you have many callbacks, and are interviewing at firms that have quicker turnaround times, schedule the firms you don't really want much later. This allows you time to cancel that callback if/when you get an offer sooner. (2) As long as you have reasonable professors, send them an email sometime in the next week telling them the days you plan on missing because of callbacks. They appreciate this and this way it doesn't look like you are just slacking. (3) If you get permission from your professors, generally they will allow you to also record your missed classes. If you really care, you can always listen to the lectures later. (4) It is easy to not realize that 1L year is over. While grades still may matter for clerkships, once you get a SA, the pressure is off. Your focus should be on getting the job, not on 2L classes until after you have that job.

Good luck with your callbacks!

thanks very much for this info. one follow-up: what, specifically, is "much later" for purposes of scheduling interviews with firms? two weeks after the others? is there a point at which scheduling so late indicates disinterest to the firm you're scheduling (and if so, how late can you go)?

Same Michigan 3L. By "much later," I just meant enough time to hear back from the firms you care more about. For some NY firms, for example, this could be as pushing it back 1 week. Some other firms may take a week or more to make a CB decision, so here you would need to push the second callback 2-3 weeks.

As long as you are now scheduling for interviews in September you'll be fine. I wouldn't push anything more than a month back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:44 am

Any Latham NYC, Quinn NYC, Weil NYC, or Gibson Dunn NYC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:41 pm

have heard of people with gibson dunn, latham and weil nyc

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:have heard of people with gibson dunn, latham and weil nyc

Interviewer initials for Weil?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:This happened to me too. Are you at all worried about the CB stage, or do you think they've already decided they will take us despite our GPAs?

This whole situation is supremely ironic. I've worked with enough attorneys at "top" firms to know that the vast majority of them are miserable. The ones that seem happy are just happy about being rich; not happy with their lives or their work or their families. I bid these "prestigious" firms just to fill out my bid list, but truly want to summer a lower-ranked, lifestyle firms. But to your question, I have no idea what the firms are thinking. I'm not worried because I really don't want to be there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:38 pm

Who's heard from DC firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who's heard from DC firms?

I've got a callback at Pillsbury and a ding from Patton Boggs. Otherwise radio silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a callback from Cadwalader (NY) and Varnum (Grand Rapids, MI) on Wednesday and heard back from Mayer Brown (Chicago) and Jenner & Block (Chicago) Thursday.

Which interviewer from cadwalader?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:This happened to me too. Are you at all worried about the CB stage, or do you think they've already decided they will take us despite our GPAs?

This whole situation is supremely ironic. I've worked with enough attorneys at "top" firms to know that the vast majority of them are miserable. The ones that seem happy are just happy about being rich; not happy with their lives or their work or their families. I bid these "prestigious" firms just to fill out my bid list, but truly want to summer a lower-ranked, lifestyle firms. But to your question, I have no idea what the firms are thinking. I'm not worried because I really don't want to be there.

Assuming you're talking about New York firms, I wouldn't count on the quality of life getting better as you move down the Vault rankings. For the most part, the only firms on the big law model that might offer a lifestyle change are going to be in secondary markets, like Seattle, Minneapolis, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:have heard of people with gibson dunn, latham and weil nyc

Latham NYC? When/stats??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:30 pm

Has anyone heard from Latham Chicago interviewer PK

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:00 pm

Stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:03 pm

So you guys think tomorrow is gonna be a busy day?????

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So you guys think tomorrow is gonna be a busy day?????

Gods, I hope so.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Gods, I hope so.

Yeah, let's hope, though I don't have very high expectations.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Gods, I hope so.

Yeah, let's hope, though I don't have very high expectations.

other schools on TLS had a very quick turnaround....so I'm optimistic. Fingers crossed for tomorrow (CBs or dings).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
other schools on TLS had a very quick turnaround....so I'm optimistic. Fingers crossed for tomorrow (CBs or dings).

I meant I thought most of Michigan's turnaround had already happened and people had just been better about not being too braggy about their results.

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I meant I thought most of Michigan's turnaround had already happened and people had just been better about not being too braggy about their results.

Last year, many people got CBs the equivalent of next week. In fact, that's when I got most of mine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:16 pm

The Duck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Last year, many people got CBs the equivalent of next week. In fact, that's when I got most of mine.

early? mid? late?

The Duck

Postby The Duck » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
The Duck wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

early? mid? late?

All week. I got one that Friday.

ChiefPresidentTaft

Postby ChiefPresidentTaft » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Let me know when you find that lifestyle firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”