Michigan OCI 2012

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Chapman CB.


what interviewer did you have?


I want to bump this question. Curious as well.


DL.


fuckkkkkk.....DL interviewed me and no CB

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:55 am

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Asian girl gunner, I hope you're out there reading this. I myself saw you butt in to other people's interviews three times this week. You are an enormous bitch and should be completely ashamed of yourself. These interviews are only twenty minutes. It was wildly inappropriate to snake your way in after other people's knock and steal five minutes of their time. This was the lowest thing I've seen at Michigan by far. You are a terrible person. Any firm that would hire you after a low class stunt like that is a shithole anyways.


Someone seriously did this?


same Q here. Girl's Initials?


That doesn't sound like a very good idea. Also, I don't understand what this girl supposedly did. What does it mean to "snake your way in after other people's knock"?


I understand asking her initials was an OCI joke, and the whole situation if true sounds like poor form, but let's keep the OCI stress/ anger off the boards people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:08 am

did anyone hear from Sidley Chicago or McDermott- Transactional?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:did anyone hear from Sidley Chicago or McDermott- Transactional?


Negatory on both counts. In fact, haven't heard a peep from any Chicago firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:did anyone hear from Sidley Chicago or McDermott- Transactional?


Negatory on both counts. In fact, haven't heard a peep from any Chicago firms.


This makes me feel better.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Asian girl gunner, I hope you're out there reading this. I myself saw you butt in to other people's interviews three times this week. You are an enormous bitch and should be completely ashamed of yourself. These interviews are only twenty minutes. It was wildly inappropriate to snake your way in after other people's knock and steal five minutes of their time. This was the lowest thing I've seen at Michigan by far. You are a terrible person. Any firm that would hire you after a low class stunt like that is a shithole anyways.



Lots of people were asking fellow interviewees if they could resume drop because they couldn't get an interview... That was pretty standard.. And plenty of Mlaw people were more than happy to let their fellow students resume drop before their interviews..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:14 pm

Can someone speak to the normal amount of class time people miss for callbacks? Missing anything makes me nervous, and I'm already looking at one full week, at least.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone speak to the normal amount of class time people miss for callbacks? Missing anything makes me nervous, and I'm already looking at one full week, at least.


Michigan 3L here. Last year, I didn't have class on Fridays. In spite of trying to schedule only Friday callbacks, I still missed about 3-4 days of class all said. It did not hurt me at all. I have a few good friends that spent a full week in the city they wanted to work in doing callbacks. It did not hurt either of them. The only caveat is that, if you are in a seminar, I know some seminar professors will not allow any absences. Schedule around your seminars.

A few other things that may be helpful: (1) If you have many callbacks, and are interviewing at firms that have quicker turnaround times, schedule the firms you don't really want much later. This allows you time to cancel that callback if/when you get an offer sooner. (2) As long as you have reasonable professors, send them an email sometime in the next week telling them the days you plan on missing because of callbacks. They appreciate this and this way it doesn't look like you are just slacking. (3) If you get permission from your professors, generally they will allow you to also record your missed classes. If you really care, you can always listen to the lectures later. (4) It is easy to not realize that 1L year is over. While grades still may matter for clerkships, once you get a SA, the pressure is off. Your focus should be on getting the job, not on 2L classes until after you have that job.

Good luck with your callbacks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:11 pm

SRZ cb on wednesday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K&E NY CB


mind posting your GPA/Journal status?


3.4, secondary


same Q here. Interviewer initials?


SM & DT

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:SRZ cb on wednesday.


Wednesday aug 29th? Or sept 5?

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby goodolgil » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:SRZ cb on wednesday.


Wednesday aug 29th? Or sept 5?


S/he means s/he got the call on Wednesday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Anyone heard from Foley or McDermott (controversies)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:00 pm

Anybody heard Cadwalader or Akin Gump NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody heard Cadwalader or Akin Gump NY?


Heard of cbs for both those places

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Anyone heard of CBs from Fried Frank, Linklaters, MoFo, Latham, and Sidley? (All NY)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard of CBs from Fried Frank, Linklaters, MoFo, Latham, and Sidley? (All NY)


got a fried frank cb on wednesday. i havent heard of any of the other firms you mentioned giving out NY cbs so far

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard of CBs from Fried Frank, Linklaters, MoFo, Latham, and Sidley? (All NY)


Also A&O NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Foley or McDermott (controversies)?


I heard of CBs for McDermott- controversies

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Got a callback from Cadwalader (NY) and Varnum (Grand Rapids, MI) on Wednesday and heard back from Mayer Brown (Chicago) and Jenner & Block (Chicago) Thursday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Call backs at two firms where I'm way below median, nothing from firms at or above median . . . OCI is just as random and bizarre as finals.

P.S.:

Asian girl gunner, I hope you're out there reading this. I myself saw you butt in to other people's interviews three times this week. You are an enormous bitch and should be completely ashamed of yourself. These interviews are only twenty minutes. It was wildly inappropriate to snake your way in after other people's knock and steal five minutes of their time. This was the lowest thing I've seen at Michigan by far. You are a terrible person. Any firm that would hire you after a low class stunt like that is a shithole anyways.


This happened to me too. Are you at all worried about the CB stage, or do you think they've already decided they will take us despite our GPAs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:02 pm

Anyone hear from DPW, Debevoise NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can someone speak to the normal amount of class time people miss for callbacks? Missing anything makes me nervous, and I'm already looking at one full week, at least.


Michigan 3L here. Last year, I didn't have class on Fridays. In spite of trying to schedule only Friday callbacks, I still missed about 3-4 days of class all said. It did not hurt me at all. I have a few good friends that spent a full week in the city they wanted to work in doing callbacks. It did not hurt either of them. The only caveat is that, if you are in a seminar, I know some seminar professors will not allow any absences. Schedule around your seminars.

A few other things that may be helpful: (1) If you have many callbacks, and are interviewing at firms that have quicker turnaround times, schedule the firms you don't really want much later. This allows you time to cancel that callback if/when you get an offer sooner. (2) As long as you have reasonable professors, send them an email sometime in the next week telling them the days you plan on missing because of callbacks. They appreciate this and this way it doesn't look like you are just slacking. (3) If you get permission from your professors, generally they will allow you to also record your missed classes. If you really care, you can always listen to the lectures later. (4) It is easy to not realize that 1L year is over. While grades still may matter for clerkships, once you get a SA, the pressure is off. Your focus should be on getting the job, not on 2L classes until after you have that job.

Good luck with your callbacks!



thanks very much for this info. one follow-up: what, specifically, is "much later" for purposes of scheduling interviews with firms? two weeks after the others? is there a point at which scheduling so late indicates disinterest to the firm you're scheduling (and if so, how late can you go)?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from DPW, Debevoise NY?


CB from DPW yesterday. Nothing from Debevoise. Both NY

Anonymous User
Posts: 273187
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:13 pm

0 CBs from NYC. time to panic?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.