Michigan OCI 2012 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Michigan OCI 2012

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:28 pm

Figured I'd start one of these threads since the one from 2011 was so helpful.

While I'm at it - Heard that LR calls starting going out yesterday. Yet to get a call or an e-mail. Anyone else?

Anonymous User

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Figured I'd start one of these threads since the one from 2011 was so helpful.

While I'm at it - Heard that LR calls starting going out yesterday. Yet to get a call or an e-mail. Anyone else?
Rejection emails came to multiple people last night. You may be in luck!!

While I'm here-how weird will a 3.8 with no LR look? Didn't submit for any secondaries.

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:24 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Didn't try for LR, so no insight there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Figured I'd start one of these threads since the one from 2011 was so helpful.

Lucky enough to get a call from LR yesterday, so I can confirm that acceptances have at least started to go out.

denardisgod

New

Post by denardisgod » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Lucky enough to get a call from LR yesterday, so I can confirm that acceptances have at least started to go out.
Also got a LR call yesterday. On the OCI front, is anyone planning on doing any mass mailing? When are we supposed to start that? I was thinking next week or so.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:42 pm

denardisgod wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Also got a LR call yesterday. On the OCI front, is anyone planning on doing any mass mailing? When are we supposed to start that? I was thinking next week or so.
I am, since I am focusing on a secondary market that isn't sending too many firms to OCI. Haven't started yet, but you're right, should probably get on that.

And congrats, both of you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Would you mind saying what your GPA is?

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:20 pm

Checking in, I can confirm that at least some LR rejections have gone out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Would you mind saying what your GPA is?
Anon here. GPA was slightly above 3.7.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Blueridge

New

Post by Blueridge » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:38 pm

Entchen wrote:
denardisgod wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am, since I am focusing on a secondary market that isn't sending too many firms to OCI. Haven't started yet, but you're right, should probably get on that.

And congrats, both of you!
Checking in for the mass mailing. Targeting CA (SF mostly). Been getting my materials together and hoping to send out the first few apps this week. Don't know if this is early or late though -- anyone here anything about when firms want/expect mass mails? I've heard its good to get them in a bit before Fall starts and firms get swamped with OCI stuff, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:33 am

Blueridge wrote: Checking in for the mass mailing. Targeting CA (SF mostly). Been getting my materials together and hoping to send out the first few apps this week. Don't know if this is early or late though -- anyone here anything about when firms want/expect mass mails? I've heard its good to get them in a bit before Fall starts and firms get swamped with OCI stuff, but I don't know if that's true or not.
What materials are you sending for mass mailing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Blueridge wrote: Checking in for the mass mailing. Targeting CA (SF mostly). Been getting my materials together and hoping to send out the first few apps this week. Don't know if this is early or late though -- anyone here anything about when firms want/expect mass mails? I've heard its good to get them in a bit before Fall starts and firms get swamped with OCI stuff, but I don't know if that's true or not.
Not OP but I plan on sending a cover letter, resume, and a transcript. Am I missing anything? Also received call for LR (ironically was waitlisted for the Int'l Journal a few weeks ago).

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Not OP but I plan on sending a cover letter, resume, and a transcript. Am I missing anything? Also received call for LR (ironically was waitlisted for the Int'l Journal a few weeks ago).
Should we be mailing writing samples? That's the only thing you don't mention; but, I'm not sure what the conventional wisdom is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:09 am

buckilaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Should we be mailing writing samples? That's the only thing you don't mention; but, I'm not sure what the conventional wisdom is.
I guess a writing sample makes sense.

Blueridge

New

Post by Blueridge » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I was planning on Resume, CL, Writing Sample, and Transcript as well, unless the firm particularly specified some other combination.

Anybody hear anything on email vs. snailmail?

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Blueridge wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was planning on Resume, CL, Writing Sample, and Transcript as well, unless the firm particularly specified some other combination.

Anybody hear anything on email vs. snailmail?
Everything I've heard suggests email is fine. I just don't know whether to include a writing sample. I was just going to do Resume, Coverletter, and transcript.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:22 pm

are all LR offers out? is anyone still waiting to hear back one way or the other?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:14 pm

are all LR offers out? is anyone still waiting to hear back one way or the other?
OP here. Still waiting to hear back either way

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:06 pm

still nothing - think i should email them if i dont get a response by tomorrow evening?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:still nothing - think i should email them if i dont get a response by tomorrow evening?
i remember reading that they would go out by mid-july, and its only july 10th. i'm surprised the first batch of calls went out as early as they did. i'd give it a few more days. best of luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:still nothing - think i should email them if i dont get a response by tomorrow evening?
i remember reading that they would go out by mid-july, and its only july 10th. i'm surprised the first batch of calls went out as early as they did. i'd give it a few more days. best of luck!
JLR asked for responses by July 12 and Law Review told me all responses would be out in advance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 pm

Anyone else having major bid-list anxiety? The market is the biggest issue. SO has a job they love here, so we were planning on bidding A2 and Detroit. We also wouldn't mind Chicago or DC. Ugh. I was the above poster 3.8 with no LR.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else having major bid-list anxiety? The market is the biggest issue. SO has a job they love here, so we were planning on bidding A2 and Detroit. We also wouldn't mind Chicago or DC. Ugh. I was the above poster 3.8 with no LR.
I'm having major bid-list anxiety. I'm pretty much tied to the DC market, but I have a NY market GPA. My 3.25 is going to make it quite hard to land on my feet in DC. So... I'm pretty much fucked.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else having major bid-list anxiety? The market is the biggest issue. SO has a job they love here, so we were planning on bidding A2 and Detroit. We also wouldn't mind Chicago or DC. Ugh. I was the above poster 3.8 with no LR.
I'm having major bid-list anxiety. I'm pretty much tied to the DC market, but I have a NY market GPA. My 3.25 is going to make it quite hard to land on my feet in DC. So... I'm pretty much fucked.
Are you in D.C. this summer? Start networking like crazy (with Mich alums, undergrad alums, anyone who will talk to you) at the firms that you have a shot at... you never know what could happen.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:07 pm

Does anyone know or can a 3L talk about what firms have been flooded with bids in the past? Lots of people have mentioned that the lower GPA firms are usually overbid (and so you should bid them high in your list), but at what GPA mean/median does that taper off? If I'm bidding on firms in the 3.5-3.6 range as well as some firms with a lower range, should I worry about not getting interviews with the 3.5-3.6 firms and bid them high?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”