Michigan OCI 2012 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Michigan OCI 2012

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Folks with work experience seem to be doing better than those without.
I have good work experience and median grades. I have 7 callbacks, 3 w/ elite (for lack of a better word) firms. Two friends who have really interesting work experience and below median grades have 7 & 8. Our friend who's a K-JD at the tip top of the class has 3. . . . FWIW. None of us out HYP.

I honestly think that thoroughly researching the firm, having insightful firm-specific questions prepared, and dressing well matter more than grades or work experience. That's my anecdotal two cents.
What market?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What market?
D.C.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:30 pm

Anyone with CBs at Varnum, Warner, or Bodman mind sharing stats?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone with CBs at Varnum, Warner, or Bodman mind sharing stats?
Of people I know who got CBs from those firms, the decision wasn't based on stats. Some people had high GPAs and others had below median GPAs

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Skadden - Chi ding

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden - Chi ding
How?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
How?
And if you don't mind, what were your interviewer's initials?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
How?
And if you don't mind, what were your interviewer's initials?
Different anon, but I got mine via snail mail yesterday (at my permanent address, closer to Chi than AA, dunno if that makes a difference), interviewer initials GT.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:29 pm

keg411 wrote:Michigan people not doing well - first, mass mail. But also, go talk to OCP and put yourself on their radar. Trust me when I say that firms come around and you want to be one of the people that knows when they do. I know it's scary now to have 1/2/0 CB's, but you have to keep being as proactive as possible.

Also, read my thread. If you're worried about interviewing, OCP can help set you up with someone -- but try and ask for a real attorney and not just someone in the office. I got pretty brutal feedback last year, but it was definitely worth knowing how/where I was screwing up.
What do you mean by talk to OCP and put ourself on their radar? Other than asking for interviewing advice, what can they do? E.g., How do I get on a list of people they'll contact if a firm contacts them?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
keg411 wrote:Michigan people not doing well - first, mass mail. But also, go talk to OCP and put yourself on their radar. Trust me when I say that firms come around and you want to be one of the people that knows when they do. I know it's scary now to have 1/2/0 CB's, but you have to keep being as proactive as possible.

Also, read my thread. If you're worried about interviewing, OCP can help set you up with someone -- but try and ask for a real attorney and not just someone in the office. I got pretty brutal feedback last year, but it was definitely worth knowing how/where I was screwing up.
What do you mean by talk to OCP and put ourself on their radar? Other than asking for interviewing advice, what can they do? E.g., How do I get on a list of people they'll contact if a firm contacts them?
I would suspect she means to go in and ask for help. Tell them that you didnt do well at OCI and they will hell you out.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:52 pm

Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would suspect she means to go in and ask for help. Tell them that you didnt do well at OCI and they will hell you out.
Yup. If you go in and ask, they will give you advice and help you out. Tell them your concerns, what you feel might've gone wrong, ask what you can do to get a SA job, what you've done since OCI, etc.

I don't think there's a magic "list" or anything like that, but the more you work with them and listen to them, the more willing they will be to help you out (call firms you did CB's with, send you contacts for firms looking, etc.). But don't pushback against them or say what they suggest "won't work". Listen to them, do what they say, and they will help you out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:00 pm

keg411 wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yup. If you go in and ask, they will give you advice and help you out. Tell them your concerns, what you feel might've gone wrong, ask what you can do to get a SA job, what you've done since OCI, etc.

I don't think there's a magic "list" or anything like that, but the more you work with them and listen to them, the more willing they will be to help you out (call firms you did CB's with, send you contacts for firms looking, etc.). But don't pushback against them or say what they suggest "won't work". Listen to them, do what they say, and they will help you out.
Thanks, you are awesome!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Also, some of the counselors are better than others. If you go in and get lame advice, just make an appointment with someone else. I went in b/c I was fretting about not having a 1L SA. The first counselor said that I should think about working at the law library + Starbucks. I made another appointment and the next counselor gave me a list of seven or eight things I could actually do to continue to improve me chances. I ended up getting a paid gig two weeks later based on that second counselor's advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, some of the counselors are better than others. If you go in and get lame advice, just make an appointment with someone else. I went in b/c I was fretting about not having a 1L SA. The first counselor said that I should think about working at the law library + Starbucks. I made another appointment and the next counselor gave me a list of seven or eight things I could actually do to continue to improve me chances. I ended up getting a paid gig two weeks later based on that second counselor's advice.
If you don't mind, what was the list?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also, some of the counselors are better than others. If you go in and get lame advice, just make an appointment with someone else. I went in b/c I was fretting about not having a 1L SA. The first counselor said that I should think about working at the law library + Starbucks. I made another appointment and the next counselor gave me a list of seven or eight things I could actually do to continue to improve me chances. I ended up getting a paid gig two weeks later based on that second counselor's advice.
Agree with this. But I don't want to post on here who is/isn't good.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:For next year's class, a note on why I think I received call-backs from a set of firms, but none from a couple peer firms: I wouldn't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever [Friday reference] talk about how much you like a firm's pro bono program. Unless you're making some quick, passing reference. Even for firms with great pro bono programs, they could be worried you're just going to use them to pay off debt, then skip off to whatever public interest gig you're thinking about. Maybe there are some situations in which it would be all right, but I would be wary.
I talked with one firm about their probono program and got a callback. I think it depends on how much emphasis they put on probono

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:01 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For next year's class, a note on why I think I received call-backs from a set of firms, but none from a couple peer firms: I wouldn't ever, ever, ever, ever, ever [Friday reference] talk about how much you like a firm's pro bono program. Unless you're making some quick, passing reference. Even for firms with great pro bono programs, they could be worried you're just going to use them to pay off debt, then skip off to whatever public interest gig you're thinking about. Maybe there are some situations in which it would be all right, but I would be wary.
I talked with one firm about their probono program and got a callback. I think it depends on how much emphasis they put on probono
Yep, also depends on how it fits with your narrative. Talked to one firm about a pro bono case I worked with one of their lawyers on this summer; got a callback.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Yep, also depends on how it fits with your narrative. Talked to one firm about a pro bono case I worked with one of their lawyers on this summer; got a callback.
Generally, I think it's good advice to only talk about pro bono to the extent you're discussing professional skills development. This is especially true for people with lots of pro bono on their resume.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:26 pm

Can anyone speak to the culture of these firms' Chicago offices –

(1) Sidley Austin
(2) Mayer Brown
(3) Kirkland Ellis
(4) Jones Day
(5) Perkins Coie

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:06 am

have CBs/dings gone out for Paul Weiss NYC? what about Quinn NYC? did either of these firms have callback dinners or that sort of thing during OCI week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to the culture of these firms' Chicago offices –

(1) Sidley Austin
(2) Mayer Brown
(3) Kirkland Ellis
(4) Jones Day
(5) Perkins Coie

I love Sidley....just did my CB last week and I'm leaning towards choosing Sidley. I found the Mayer Brown atmosphere to be a bit "nerdy." Kirkland's culture is intense. The free-market system is not for everyone. Don't know about JD or PC.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone speak to the culture of these firms' Chicago offices –

(1) Sidley Austin
(2) Mayer Brown
(3) Kirkland Ellis
(4) Jones Day
(5) Perkins Coie

I love Sidley....just did my CB last week and I'm leaning towards choosing Sidley. I found the Mayer Brown atmosphere to be a bit "nerdy." Kirkland's culture is intense. The free-market system is not for everyone. Don't know about JD or PC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:

(1) Sidley Austin
(2) Mayer Brown
(3) Kirkland Ellis
(4) Jones Day
(5) Perkins Coie

Thanks for the response . . .

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:45 pm

Anyone hear from Latham Chicago? What about Neal, Gerber, Eisenberg?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:48 pm

Anyone hear from K&L Gates Chicago or Locke Lord?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”