35% at GW/GULC, Less selective DC firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jessuf

Re: 35% at GW/GULC, Less selective DC firms

Postby jessuf » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:33 pm

dudders wrote:
chipchip wrote:Anyway, first, figure out what the general breakdown has been for offers/callbacks, etc. from whatever school you are at to whatever firm you want (based on your GPA). I"m sure your school has that data.

GW does not have that data.

Sketchy. Do they have GPA/rank data for preselects?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:44 pm

How is Foggy Botttom?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 am

Jessuf wrote:
dudders wrote:
chipchip wrote:Anyway, first, figure out what the general breakdown has been for offers/callbacks, etc. from whatever school you are at to whatever firm you want (based on your GPA). I"m sure your school has that data.

GW does not have that data.

Sketchy. Do they have GPA/rank data for preselects?

As far as I know - no. They only give us the total number of interviews requested and first-round interviews granted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:36 pm

OP Here

If those are bad firm choices, then what are solid ones for someone in this situation? Ties to DC & Philadelphia, and open to NYC.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP Here

If those are bad firm choices, then what are solid ones for someone in this situation? Ties to DC & Philadelphia, and open to NYC.

Cozen, Pepper, Ballard, Saul Ewing, Morgan Lewis, Stradley, Buchanan Ingersoll, Reed Smith, Eckert, Duane, Fox, Schnader, Drinker, Blank Rome for Philly.

Venable, Dickstein, Dow Lohnes (practice specific), Crowell & Moring (reach), Patton Boggs (reach) for DC. DLA, Drinker, Holland (practice specific), Hollingsworth (lit only), Nixon as maybes for DC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:36 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

Cozen, Pepper, Ballard, Saul Ewing, Morgan Lewis, Stradley, Buchanan Ingersoll, Reed Smith, Eckert, Duane, Fox, Schnader, Drinker, Blank Rome for Philly.

Venable, Dickstein, Dow Lohnes (practice specific), Crowell & Moring (reach), Patton Boggs (reach) for DC. DLA, Drinker, Holland (practice specific), Hollingsworth (lit only), Nixon as maybes for DC.

OP here,
Thank you very much. This is pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Any other suggestions from anyone else are welcome. Any ideas on NYC? I hadn't even looked into NYC, but another thread was talking about just how many jobs are in the city and it's in most everyone's best interest to look there too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So what if you are top 35% overall but have a huge difference in GPA between first and second semester (big upward trend). Is it appropriate to somehow highlight that on resume/cover letter?

Do you have anything else going for you?

I landed something through OCI with a similar swing (below median to Top 35%), but had things beyond grades that the firm wanted. But the grades are key - it is a great talking point ("I learned how to blah blah blah.")

So, I have a more general question. What if I am applying to a firm that has multiple offices, 2 (out of 6) of which are in a secondary market I have strong ties to? On the OCI bid, you can list the offices you have a preference to. But is it worth emphasizing ties to that area in a cover letter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:29 am

LawIdiot86 wrote:

I mass-mailed Dow Lohnes last year with a HEAVY media background and excellent grades (though not from GW/GULC), and they sent a letter back saying they weren't hiring anyone.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LawIdiot86 wrote:

I mass-mailed Dow Lohnes last year with a HEAVY media background and excellent grades (though not from GW/GULC), and they sent a letter back saying they weren't hiring anyone.

I had multiple friends interviewed and offered there in 2010 and hired in 2011.

Return to “Legal Employment”