When should I send him my resume (informational interview)?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When should I send him my resume (informational interview)?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:54 am

I'm doing an informational interview with a partner at a firm I'm interested in. He's also the head partner of a practice group that attracts me. I'm meeting him at his office next week. Should I send him my resume and transcript now or after our meeting? I don't want to seem too pushy and annoy him.

$$$$$$

Re: When should I send him my resume (informational interview)?

Postby $$$$$$ » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:09 am

no...unless he asks, don't send him anything. Just go in an impress him and hope he puts in a word when your application comes through.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm doing an informational interview with a partner at a firm I'm interested in. He's also the head partner of a practice group that attracts me. I'm meeting him at his office next week. Should I send him my resume and transcript now or after our meeting? I don't want to seem too pushy and annoy him.

Is this your initial meeting there?

I'm in a similar boat, but going in for my second meeting next week. First meeting was over the winter. Am wondering the best way to tell them I did well 1L without coming across as pushy.

$$$$$$

Postby $$$$$$ » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:16 am

The only point of these meetings is to make a connection with the guy/girl. He probably won't give a shit what your grades are and if he likes you, he'll advocate for getting you a callback/offer, and if he doesn't like you he won't. I suggest not mentioning your grades AT ALL if you want this guy to like you, especially if its for an informational interview. If he asks for your grades/past experiences, then tell him and sell him, but don't do this unprompted

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:21 am

$$$$$$ wrote:The only point of these meetings is to make a connection with the guy/girl. He probably won't give a shit what your grades are and if he likes you, he'll advocate for getting you a callback/offer, and if he doesn't like you he won't. I suggest not mentioning your grades AT ALL if you want this guy to like you, especially if its for an informational interview. If he asks for your grades/past experiences, then tell him and sell him, but don't do this unprompted

Not to threadjack, but like I said above, I'll be going in for meeting #2 next week. Meeting #1 was in Feb and lasted over an hour. How do I get to the point where he says, "Don't bother with OCI, we'll get you a call back interview next week"? :lol:

LoriBelle

Postby LoriBelle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:15 am

If this is a true informational interview, where you are seeking advice and information for your job search, it is appropriate to ask questions such as "am I dressed appropriately for an appearance in court? for a job interview?" and "if you would, could you have a look at my resume and let me know if it is appropriate for this field and whether you think there are any changes I should make to improve the impression I'm making when I send it?" I did a ton of informational interviews earlier in the year, and no one balked at this kind of request at all. In fact, I usually sent my resume with the informational interview request to give me some sort of credibility. And of course, even though my goal wasn't to ask for a job directly, all of them did have a look at my resume.

If this is not a true informational interview, and you are actually seeking a job, then this individual should have already seen your resume.

It seems like you're describing some strange kind of hybrid informational interview where you have an application/resume in with the firm, but are buddying up to someone in the firm trying to get an advantage, but aren't sure how to sell yourself to said someone without seeming overbearing or douche-y. I'm not sure there's a way to do that other than coming right out with it. If this person knows you have an application in and likes you and wants to work with you, then s/he should ask for the resume on his/her own. If this person does not know you have an application in, perhaps you should drop that into the conversation. But an informational interview in this context is really about developing interpersonal connections/rapport. This person likely doesn't give a rat's hind end what your grades are like really. Your grades and accomplishments serve a gatekeeping function, sure, but in the end, people really just want to hire somebody whom they'd enjoying working with. The personality test lies beyond the gate of grades, law review, etc...and IME the personality test is really what matters.

Return to “Legal Employment”