By the books bidding strategy

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

By the books bidding strategy

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:35 am

Hey all, top 25% (more like 15-20%, but that's where they draw the line) at Fordham Law School. Biglaw isn't my main focus, but I need a backup plan so I'm going to be hustling OCI. That being said, I don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time on the bidding process. Can anyone give advice to someone in my position about what firms I should be looking at and how I should be filtering the large list of employers here? I basically want to play it as safe as I can with my grades. I know all of these firm gigs in NYC are basically the same -- not very interesting work, lots of cash, quit after 2-3 and take something real. I cant' find any resources that list firm hiring by GPA... is there some other guideline that would help me select the right firms? Should I just be looking at a particular Vault range and going for firms within that? Thanks.

chasgoose

Re: By the books bidding strategy

Postby chasgoose » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:33 am

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "take something real?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all, top 25% (more like 15-20%, but that's where they draw the line) at Fordham Law School. Biglaw isn't my main focus, but I need a backup plan so I'm going to be hustling OCI. That being said, I don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time on the bidding process. Can anyone give advice to someone in my position about what firms I should be looking at and how I should be filtering the large list of employers here? I basically want to play it as safe as I can with my grades. I know all of these firm gigs in NYC are basically the same -- not very interesting work, lots of cash, quit after 2-3 and take something real. I cant' find any resources that list firm hiring by GPA... is there some other guideline that would help me select the right firms? Should I just be looking at a particular Vault range and going for firms within that? Thanks.

Op- what is your gpa?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:17 pm

My GPA is 3.47. By real I mean a job with more responsibility, less assembly line doc review. Ie in house counsel, govt, going solo, boutique firm, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:42 pm

Come on peeps, I need some resources!

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Come on peeps, I need some resources!

Well, have you talked to CPC? It seems you didn't go to the "Getting to 35" workshop that is so highly recommended (and for good reason)... so I'm sorry to say this but I'm starting to smell either troll or just huge laziness, on your part.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:21 am

I was out of town for the getting to 35 event. I understand the whole bidding strategy for ranking firms once you've selected 35, but I just need some guidance on how to select thr firms as a top 25% student at fordham. I have read all of the cpc materials several times and still don't know about that basic point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:41 am

Speak to someone at Fordham who was at the getting to 35 event and get your hands on the spreadsheet that was handed out. This will give you an idea on how to pick the firms. Also, there were some recent threads on TLS of people from fordham with similar grades to you.

Return to “Legal Employment”