Where to bid? BC Top 40-45%

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Where to bid? BC Top 40-45%

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:56 pm

I think its 75% preselect and 25% bid

Finished between top 40 and 45%

Please refrain from posting about how I will not get an offer.. I'm going to at least bid and take any interviews that I can get

Basically only want Boston as my fiance works there, but could try and talk him into moving if Boston isn't happening - figure that at least gives me a reason to show firms I am committed to the area

Preference for corporate work, but will honestly just go wherever there is an open position

Looking for less selective firms with large class sizes or at least firms that don't have hard GPA requirements

Any help is appreciated

Anonymous User

Re: Where to bid? BC Top 40-45%

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:47 am

Sullivan & Worcester, Edwards Wildman, Nixon Peabody, Reimer & Braunstein, Brown Rudnick, maybe K&L Gates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:26 am

Thanks. Any reasoning behind those firms? For some reason in my head it seems like there is a big jump between a Sullivan & Worcester or Riemer & Branstein to Edwards Wildman or Nixon Peabody

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:I think its 75% preselect and 25% bid

Please refrain from posting about how I will not get an offer.. I'm going to at least bid and take any interviews that I can get

Basically only want Boston as my fiance works there, but could try and talk him into moving if Boston isn't happening - figure that at least gives me a reason to show firms I am committed to the area

Preference for corporate work, but will honestly just go wherever there is an open position

Looking for less selective firms with large class sizes or at least firms that don't have hard GPA requirements

Any help is appreciated

Our top 5 bids are lottery, everything else is preselect. We get 50 bids, so you should be able to put a bid on almost everything in Boston, because there are a number of firms that are looking for patent bar eligible only and some that are only hiring for NY/NH/CT offices. So it's really just what you want to do with the five lottery slots. You can look at the firms on NALP to see firm size and summer class size.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:29 am

bostonlawchick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think its 75% preselect and 25% bid

Any help is appreciated

Our top 5 bids are lottery, everything else is preselect. We get 50 bids, so you should be able to put a bid on almost everything in Boston, because there are a number of firms that are looking for patent bar eligible only and some that are only hiring for NY/NH/CT offices. So it's really just what you want to do with the five lottery slots. You can look at the firms on NALP to see firm size and summer class size.

OP. i had that completely messed up then :/ i'm still a little confused though.. does that mean everyone gets 5 interviews as long as you dont bid completely out of your league? like if i bid 50 but my first 25 are full when my name comes up will i get the 26th bid? or does that mean if my top 5 bids are full by the time my names drawn then im out of luck unless preselected? Or neither?

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OP. i had that completely messed up then :/ i'm still a little confused though.. does that mean everyone gets 5 interviews as long as you dont bid completely out of your league? like if i bid 50 but my first 25 are full when my name comes up will i get the 26th bid? or does that mean if my top 5 bids are full by the time my names drawn then im out of luck unless preselected? Or neither?

I honestly have no idea, that is just what I remember from the OCI presentation. I really don't know how the lottery works. Your top 5 bids are entered into the lottery, with the top bid getting the most weight. I guess that means maybe for your top bid your name gets put in five times, second bid gets four, etc? And then there are x number of lottery slots for each firm? They didn't really explain it.

I'm pretty sure for preselect all of the bids get sent to the firms in alphabetical order after bidding closes, and then they just pick who they want.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:05 am

bostonlawchick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I honestly have no idea, that is just what I remember from the OCI presentation. I really don't know how the lottery works. Your top 5 bids are entered into the lottery, with the top bid getting the most weight. I guess that means maybe for your top bid your name gets put in five times, second bid gets four, etc? And then there are x number of lottery slots for each firm? They didn't really explain it.

I'm pretty sure for preselect all of the bids get sent to the firms in alphabetical order after bidding closes, and then they just pick who they want.

damnn. i just found it online after i asked that. so only the top 5 go into the lottery and thats it. no backup if the top 5 are already full. makes my bidding easier but leaves me more screwed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

damnn. i just found it online after i asked that. so only the top 5 go into the lottery and thats it. no backup if the top 5 are already full. makes my bidding easier but leaves me more screwed

From talking to CSO, from the lottery, most people only get one interview.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. Any reasoning behind those firms? For some reason in my head it seems like there is a big jump between a Sullivan & Worcester or Riemer & Branstein to Edwards Wildman or Nixon Peabody

Any way to find out what GPA ranges firms have extended a callback to in years previous?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

From talking to CSO, from the lottery, most people only get one interview.

cant believe ive been stressing about bids for the last three days to find out that ill get 0-1 interview

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:24 am

things used to be much better in before the class of 2010. you could be below median and still snatch a biglaw job.

I don't know that people around top 40% will still be getting only one interview, now that hiring is picking up. I know some people with very average credentials with biglaw jobs, including those who graduated last year and this year.

If you have a strong IP background, you can be very average or even below average and still get finnegan.

Return to “Legal Employment”