End of Summer Gifts from Summer Associates

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

End of Summer Gifts from Summer Associates

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:09 am

Does anyone have an ideas or suggestions for an appropriate end of summer gift for the hiring partner and summer coordinators? I work at a big law firm in NYC. This gift would come from a group of summer associates.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: End of Summer Gifts from Summer Associates

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:09 pm

This doesn't really seem appropriate unless all offers are out. Otherwise, you are effectively in an extended interview and it is of questionable propriety to give a gift to your interviewer.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:48 pm

Give a gift to your secretary. That's it.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:15 pm

I've been thinking about getting something for my associate mentor. He's been unbelievably helpful this summer. I don't know how much input he has on hiring, he's not on the hiring committee or anything. Thoughts?

Sup Kid

Postby Sup Kid » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have an ideas or suggestions for an appropriate end of summer gift for the hiring partner and summer coordinators? I work at a big law firm in NYC. This gift would come from a group of summer associates.
wiseowl wrote:Give a gift to your secretary. That's it.
Ludovico Technique wrote:I've been thinking about getting something for my associate mentor. He's been unbelievably helpful this summer. I don't know how much input he has on hiring, he's not on the hiring committee or anything. Thoughts?

Secretary/Legal Assistant -- acceptable
Mentor -- acceptable
Summer Coordinators -- probably ok, if they're staff members who organize events/assignments (i.e., not attorneys) and if it's from the entire summer class together
Hiring Partner -- not a good idea

BearLaw

Postby BearLaw » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:48 pm

Never gift up, its tacky.

Gifts for secretaries and anyone who is not a lawyer would be fine in this case, especially if its an assistant/para'-legal that did leg work/research for you.

Mentor is ok as long as its small.

Any other associate or partner is out, they can buy themselves things.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:55 pm

Where do people get this stuff? The firm is your employer. You don't get your employer gifts for giving you the opportunity to work.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:00 pm

rayiner wrote:Where do people get this stuff? The firm is your employer. You don't get your employer gifts for giving you the opportunity to work.

LOL I think in normal times people would intuitively think this. But the economy is so bad that people feel like getting the opportunity to work a job is a gift!

itbdvorm

Postby itbdvorm » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:07 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
rayiner wrote:Where do people get this stuff? The firm is your employer. You don't get your employer gifts for giving you the opportunity to work.

LOL I think in normal times people would intuitively think this. But the economy is so bad that people feel like getting the opportunity to work a job is a gift!

FWIW, I got a small gift from a few summers a few years back who I'd mentored a bunch. Wasn't anything big/expensive (basically an inside joke) but it was appreciated, albeit totally unnecessary.

I'd definitely get your secretary something though. Flowers, etc.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:14 pm

I love my secretary and I try to talk to her daily but I don't actually use her for anything. She's busy enough with real work so Ive only bothered her to help me on a couple of occasions. Still get her something?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm

These associates at my firm actually discussed a kid who got no-offerred because he was such a kiss-ass and did this gift buying shit. If you made them money, that is gift enough. Leave it alone.

ajaxconstructions

Postby ajaxconstructions » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:02 pm

bjsesq wrote:

These associates at my firm actually discussed a kid who got no-offerred because he was such a kiss-ass and did this gift buying shit. If you made them money, that is gift enough. Leave it alone.

That's a pretty harsh response. But I guess kiss-asses are pretty insufferable.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:03 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

That's a pretty harsh response. But I guess kiss-asses are pretty insufferable.

Didn't mean for it to come off that way. I may be constipated.

Return to “Legal Employment”