3L OCI ? for people who've gone through it

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L OCI ? for people who've gone through it

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:56 pm

Very few firms are coming to my CCN for 3L OCI. If firms aren't coming, does that mean they aren't really hiring 3Ls? How much success have people had with mass mailing firms that didn't come to OCI? I have an SA and am only looking at V20 firms for 3L hiring. I am doing corporate.

Also, if I did change firms and the new firm decides to defer or lay people off, will I be the first on the chopping block because I didn't summer?

mrloblaw

Re: 3L OCI ? for people who've gone through it

Postby mrloblaw » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:04 pm

I believe it's more likely that they aren't hiring 3Ls until they know who jumps ship for better firms (if you're CCN's like mine, the only v100s who interview 3Ls are firms that people aren't going to be "upgrading" from in large numbers). The non-OCI firms, if they're hiring at all, will be later in the game. You're in luck, since, if it's like my CCN, only v20s are coming anyway.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L OCI ? for people who've gone through it

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Very few firms are coming to my CCN for 3L OCI. If firms aren't coming, does that mean they aren't really hiring 3Ls? How much success have people had with mass mailing firms that didn't come to OCI? I have an SA and am only looking at V20 firms for 3L hiring. I am doing corporate.

Also, if I did change firms and the new firm decides to defer or lay people off, will I be the first on the chopping block because I didn't summer?

In past years, at least one CCN has also had postings for 3Ls on symplicity (easier and cheaper way for firms to weed people out with wasting time and money on screening interviews for 3Ls) - check those out, and monitor symplicity throughout the summer for new postings.

As for your second question, no one can tell you for sure, but I probably wouldn't take a job at a new firm if there's a real possibility of upcoming layoffs.

Return to “Legal Employment”