Interests section on resume?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:35 am

ScottRiqui wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Even IF any of these actually turn out to have real health benefits, I'll wait until science proves that, proves they're safe, standarizes the dosage protocols and puts them in the hands of people who went to medical school, not people who are gullible enough to think water can "remember" the properties of a few dilute molecules.


(starting to crush on rinkrat19)

Homeopathy and its adherents bother me like almost nothing else on earth.

In the vein of this thread, keep your bother to yourself - I've known a biglaw partner who vehemently believed in the powers of echinacea, and refuted all evidence to the contrary

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:51 am

dingbat wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Even IF any of these actually turn out to have real health benefits, I'll wait until science proves that, proves they're safe, standarizes the dosage protocols and puts them in the hands of people who went to medical school, not people who are gullible enough to think water can "remember" the properties of a few dilute molecules.


(starting to crush on rinkrat19)

Homeopathy and its adherents bother me like almost nothing else on earth.

In the vein of this thread, keep your bother to yourself - I've known a biglaw partner who vehemently believed in the powers of echinacea, and refuted all evidence to the contrary


Good advice. I have to remind myself that there's nothing so wacky that at least a few successful, powerful and otherwise-intelligent people won't be among the believers.

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15092
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby suralin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:01 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
dingbat wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Even IF any of these actually turn out to have real health benefits, I'll wait until science proves that, proves they're safe, standarizes the dosage protocols and puts them in the hands of people who went to medical school, not people who are gullible enough to think water can "remember" the properties of a few dilute molecules.


(starting to crush on rinkrat19)

Homeopathy and its adherents bother me like almost nothing else on earth.

In the vein of this thread, keep your bother to yourself - I've known a biglaw partner who vehemently believed in the powers of echinacea, and refuted all evidence to the contrary


Good advice. I have to remind myself that there's nothing so wacky that at least a few successful, powerful and otherwise-intelligent people won't be among the believers.


Don't underestimate human stupidity (and the power of compartmentalization, cognitive biases, etc.).

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:56 pm

Suralin wrote:Don't underestimate human stupidity (and the power of compartmentalization, cognitive biases, etc.).

This person is rapidly becoming one of my favorite new posters. If I could get a rookie card, I would

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15092
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby suralin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:21 pm

dingbat wrote:
Suralin wrote:Don't underestimate human stupidity (and the power of compartmentalization, cognitive biases, etc.).

This person is rapidly becoming one of my favorite new posters. If I could get a rookie card, I would


Made my hour :D

Myself
Posts: 1372
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:36 pm

.

Postby Myself » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:58 pm

.
Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
emciosn
Posts: 392
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby emciosn » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:06 pm

I have never had an interests section on my resume and I do have a clerkship lined up for after graduation but this thread has persuaded me to make one line of room on my resume to include some interests. It seems that having an interests line will be helpful when it comes time to apply to firms post-clerkship. What about this:

Interests: road cycling, classic Russian literature, Quentin Tarantino films, and professional basketball and football

Ok? I do not have a particular team for sports but I do like pro football/basketball which is a little unique since a lot of people tend to like college better these days (especially with basketball).

Wolverhoo
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:12 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby Wolverhoo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:55 pm

How about "barbeque" as an interest. I thoroughly enjoy authentic barbeque (as it is understood in the southeastern US, as opposed to "grilling" which is something different altogether).

I think it could strike up some good conversations but I'm worried it might come off too... red-blooded, for lack of a better term... Thoughts?

User avatar
harbin
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:40 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby harbin » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:03 pm

Wolverhoo wrote:How about "barbeque" as an interest. I thoroughly enjoy authentic barbeque (as it is understood in the southeastern US, as opposed to "grilling" which is something different altogether).

I think it could strike up some good conversations but I'm worried it might come off too... red-blooded, for lack of a better term... Thoughts?


Depends on where you're looking. I think this would be legitimate for TX/NC/KS, for example, and have had friends who have included it, but I think in other regions hiring partners would be less likely to talk about it since it's not something that is big there.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Wolverhoo wrote:How about "barbeque" as an interest. I thoroughly enjoy authentic barbeque (as it is understood in the southeastern US, as opposed to "grilling" which is something different altogether).

I think it could strike up some good conversations but I'm worried it might come off too... red-blooded, for lack of a better term... Thoughts?

I think outside Texas/the south, people are going to look at it like you put "boiling food" on your resume. It's not considered as much of an art form/hobby outside those regions, just a way to cook food.

Unless you enter contests/cook-offs on a somewhat regular basis, in which case "competitive barbecuing" would actually be kind of cool.

bobloblawut
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby bobloblawut » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:46 pm

lolwat wrote:The only way your resume should be 2 pages is if you had a lot of relevant WE prior to law school. You wouldn't even want to put ALL of your WE unless they're all relevant, the only exception being if you have so little WE that working at a fast-food restaurant might make it on there anyway. Regardless, that's fine and is actually one of the few exceptions to the heavily-suggested 1-page resumes. Mine's 2 pages now after graduating because of 1L job, 2L job, post-graduate jobs, and upcoming clerkship. Even so, the second page is still only about a half page and this is after breaking up things into separate lines so the second page isn't like 4 lines long. Trimming is very easy to do.

Interests that a lot of people can relate to gets you past the fit test. Which, by the time you get to interviews, is more or less what a lot of people will be looking for. Getting the interview in the first place already means you're qualified based on grades/LR/etc.


Your resume should never, ever be two pages. We are never going to look at the second page.

bobloblawut
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby bobloblawut » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:47 pm

PennBull wrote:
emkay625 wrote:I do not currently have an interests section. Adding one would mean either cutting my first job post undergrad or cutting some textbook publications I have. Worth it or no?


As far as I'm concerned, an interests section is mandatory. It is literally one line a the bottom. INTERESTS: X; Y; Z

Some interviewers just do not give any flying fucks about things you did, and go right to the interests if you have them. If your textbook publications include one of your interests, put the topic as one of your interests, and, if asked, talk about your textbooks.

Or, you could figure out how you can add a single line of space.


Agreed completely. I am more likely to connect with someone I'm interviewing based on their interests than because of some summer job they had in college.

bobloblawut
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby bobloblawut » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:48 pm

Wolverhoo wrote:How about "barbeque" as an interest. I thoroughly enjoy authentic barbeque (as it is understood in the southeastern US, as opposed to "grilling" which is something different altogether).

I think it could strike up some good conversations but I'm worried it might come off too... red-blooded, for lack of a better term... Thoughts?


If you are interviewing anywhere in the South (including Texas, since some don't) I would keep it on.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:56 pm

FWIW:
I didn't think it was possible, but I got my resume down to 1 page. It has 5 jobs, a line each for a certification and a volunteer position, and personal interests. It CAN be done!

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22885
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:58 pm

bobloblawut wrote:
lolwat wrote:The only way your resume should be 2 pages is if you had a lot of relevant WE prior to law school. You wouldn't even want to put ALL of your WE unless they're all relevant, the only exception being if you have so little WE that working at a fast-food restaurant might make it on there anyway. Regardless, that's fine and is actually one of the few exceptions to the heavily-suggested 1-page resumes. Mine's 2 pages now after graduating because of 1L job, 2L job, post-graduate jobs, and upcoming clerkship. Even so, the second page is still only about a half page and this is after breaking up things into separate lines so the second page isn't like 4 lines long. Trimming is very easy to do.

Interests that a lot of people can relate to gets you past the fit test. Which, by the time you get to interviews, is more or less what a lot of people will be looking for. Getting the interview in the first place already means you're qualified based on grades/LR/etc.


Your resume should never, ever be two pages. We are never going to look at the second page.

My resume is 2 pages, and I've got lots of jobs with it. (I'll grant that the government may look at this differently from firms, though.)

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:49 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:FWIW:
I didn't think it was possible, but I got my resume down to 1 page. It has 5 jobs, a line each for a certification and a volunteer position, and personal interests. It CAN be done!



Mine is 1 page and I have 10 jobs on it. Plus educational stuff, publication, and interest section.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:56 pm

kalvano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:FWIW:
I didn't think it was possible, but I got my resume down to 1 page. It has 5 jobs, a line each for a certification and a volunteer position, and personal interests. It CAN be done!



Mine is 1 page and I have 10 jobs on it. Plus educational stuff, publication, and interest section.
Damn. Do you have any bullet points describing the jobs?

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:04 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:FWIW:
I didn't think it was possible, but I got my resume down to 1 page. It has 5 jobs, a line each for a certification and a volunteer position, and personal interests. It CAN be done!



Mine is 1 page and I have 10 jobs on it. Plus educational stuff, publication, and interest section.
Damn. Do you have any bullet points describing the jobs?



Yes. At least one for each job, one has three, and another has two.

And enough margins for interviewers to write notes.

It's entirely possible to get everything on to one page.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby rinkrat19 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:06 pm

kalvano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:FWIW:
I didn't think it was possible, but I got my resume down to 1 page. It has 5 jobs, a line each for a certification and a volunteer position, and personal interests. It CAN be done!



Mine is 1 page and I have 10 jobs on it. Plus educational stuff, publication, and interest section.
Damn. Do you have any bullet points describing the jobs?



Yes. At least one for each job, one has three, and another has two.
I'm having a hard time even imagining that, just knowing how crowded mine is. Congrats on defying the laws of physics, man! :P

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22885
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Hmm. I have seven law jobs on the first page of my resume, most of which have one-line descriptions (but a couple have more), plus education (which is three degrees and a whole bunch of stuff under the law school part). On the second page, I have two legal jobs, and then five pre-LS jobs (lumped together - 4 are the same job, just at different institutions), a publications section, and interests. I need to minimize the pre-LS further (now that I have post-LS employment), but I really like white space on a resume, so...

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11726
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby kalvano » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I'm having a hard time even imagining that, just knowing how crowded mine is. Congrats on defying the laws of physics, man! :P



I moved my name and contact information up to the header portion, which helped a lot. My margins are .75 on each side, and .50 on top and bottom. And my font is TNR, size 10.5. It's a bit smaller than I would like, and it looks really small on a screen, but it actually looks pretty good when it's printed out. TNR looks good in a smaller size, I guess because it was originally a newspaper font.

I guess if people are having a really hard time with this, I can post a screenshot of mine, personal info edited out.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse
Posts: 22885
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:33 pm

Personally, I'm sticking with more white space, bigger font, and 2 pages. :wink:

bobloblawut
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:28 pm

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby bobloblawut » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:41 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Personally, I'm sticking with more white space, bigger font, and 2 pages. :wink:


I hope for your sake that you don't have anything important on the second page. It won't be read.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:56 pm

bobloblawut wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:Personally, I'm sticking with more white space, bigger font, and 2 pages. :wink:


I hope for your sake that you don't have anything important on the second page. It won't be read.

Well, if that's the case, clearly none of the material on it is important, because it hasn't stopped me from getting clerkships or a permanent fedgov gig.

(dang, sorry, that's me - A. Nony Mouse)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273567
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Interests section on resume?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:20 am

.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.