Interests section on resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Displeased

Bronze

Re: Interests section on resume?

Post by Displeased » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:04 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
flashback wrote:interesting subject! Guys, what do you think about some of my interests? Should I put them down or is that too weird and I should go with more traditional ones like "travel"?
My interests include spiritual things, such as:
1) meditation,
2) also, I am into ancient Egypt and its Gods and Goddesses- not sure how to express it though.
I think "ancient Egyptian history and mythology" would be a solid interest to list—provided that you are prepared to discuss it intelligently with someone who might happen to know a lot about it.

Meditation, I'd probably keep to myself... seems too personal to be conversation-worthy and could weird out certain types of (especially older) people.
I'd think the opposite. Meditation is looked on relatively favorably by most people, and so commonplace as to be unremarkable, but a kind of vague interest in Egyptian mythology is a little strange. I'd phrase it as an interest in ancient Egyptian culture or Egyptology. Meditation + Egyptian Mythology might get some interviewers thinking that you are a pagan or spiritualist or hippie, which could lead to no-offers.

In any case, an interests section is definitely recommended. Half the hiring process is proving that you're competent and qualified, the other half is proving that you're a good fit for the office. An interests section humanizes you and will almost always be commented on in an interview.

The ideal interest is specific, inoffensive, and active. An interest in "sports" or "travel" or "music" is pointless, the vast majority of people enjoy some sort of sport or travel or music, it makes you seem inhuman to just have a generalized interest in those things. An interest in "The New York Yankees" or "hiking the Appalachian trail" or "blues guitar" is better, gives you more personality.

Uncle.Joe

Bronze

Post by Uncle.Joe » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:32 pm

Displeased wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:
flashback wrote:interesting subject! Guys, what do you think about some of my interests? Should I put them down or is that too weird and I should go with more traditional ones like "travel"?
My interests include spiritual things, such as:
1) meditation,
2) also, I am into ancient Egypt and its Gods and Goddesses- not sure how to express it though.
I think "ancient Egyptian history and mythology" would be a solid interest to list—provided that you are prepared to discuss it intelligently with someone who might happen to know a lot about it.

Meditation, I'd probably keep to myself... seems too personal to be conversation-worthy and could weird out certain types of (especially older) people.
I'd think the opposite. Meditation is looked on relatively favorably by most people, and so commonplace as to be unremarkable, but a kind of vague interest in Egyptian mythology is a little strange. I'd phrase it as an interest in ancient Egyptian culture or Egyptology. Meditation + Egyptian Mythology might get some interviewers thinking that you are a pagan or spiritualist or hippie, which could lead to no-offers.

In any case, an interests section is definitely recommended. Half the hiring process is proving that you're competent and qualified, the other half is proving that you're a good fit for the office. An interests section humanizes you and will almost always be commented on in an interview.

The ideal interest is specific, inoffensive, and active. An interest in "sports" or "travel" or "music" is pointless, the vast majority of people enjoy some sort of sport or travel or music, it makes you seem inhuman to just have a generalized interest in those things. An interest in "The New York Yankees" or "hiking the Appalachian trail" or "blues guitar" is better, gives you more personality.
I would not say that half the hiring process is proving your competent and qualified. Maybe 10% but thats taken care of by your resume. Its all about being personable and making them want you to be around.

flashback

New

Post by flashback » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:44 am

thanks, guys for your advice. I am going to keep ancient Egypt mythology and meditation to myself. don't want to appear too weird to some narrow-minded or older folks who far from it. besides, I live in the South... what was I thinking? lol

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:10 am

I do not currently have an interests section. Adding one would mean either cutting my first job post undergrad or cutting some textbook publications I have. Worth it or no?

PennBull

Diamond

Post by PennBull » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:19 am

emkay625 wrote:I do not currently have an interests section. Adding one would mean either cutting my first job post undergrad or cutting some textbook publications I have. Worth it or no?
As far as I'm concerned, an interests section is mandatory. It is literally one line a the bottom. INTERESTS: X; Y; Z

Some interviewers just do not give any flying fucks about things you did, and go right to the interests if you have them. If your textbook publications include one of your interests, put the topic as one of your interests, and, if asked, talk about your textbooks.

Or, you could figure out how you can add a single line of space.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

flashback

New

Post by flashback » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:07 am

guys, what do you think if I add this: Alternative and herbal medicine.

Keep in mind, I live in the South (GA). You don't think some people would weird out about this interest of mine? I am mostly interested in herbs, herbology. I wasn't sure how to call this; it sounds Ok as alternative and herbal medicine. Although I don't particularly like the word "medicine". I don't want someone to think I am sick or something :)

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:17 am

When I hear Alternative and herbal medicine, I automatically think "smoking weed".

flashback

New

Post by flashback » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:24 am

really??? :( there is so much more in herbology than just smoking weed! but thanks for being honest.
I realize that especially here in GA, in the South, there are so many people with limited intelligence and limited culture who will think the same or something worse! sad, but true. I am originally from another country, so this is really obvious to me. Someone here may think it equals to being a drug addict. who knows... I am going to keep this interest to myself then and stick with the traditional ones. 8)

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:12 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:14 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

flashback

New

Post by flashback » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:44 am

the problem is that in the South, there are too many narrow-minded, arrogant people, lacking intelligence and culture. so, I have to be very careful about choosing the interests. some people would just weird out about my interests. so, I have to be silent about it, although I assume they would be Ok in a state like California.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:50 am

Last edited by Myself on Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:09 am

ajax adonis wrote:
flashback wrote:the problem is that in the South, there are too many narrow-minded, arrogant people, lacking intelligence and culture. so, I have to be very careful about choosing the interests. some people would just weird out about my interests. so, I have to be silent about it, although I assume they would be Ok in a state like California.
Yeah, those "narrow-minded" people in the South . . .

Listen, even if you put "Alternative and herbal medicine" when applying to Boston, you will get looks. I'm not from the South. When I see "herbal medicine," I think sticky icky.
lol. Ok, I'll just keep it to myself. however, I recommend you folks to look into it too, it's a good preventive measure and just a good way to stay in good health. herbs rule.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

flashback

New

Post by flashback » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:10 am

How about this interest? travel (former flight attendant) I will list a few other decent interests as well, but I am undecided about this one particularly. Do you guys think that by showing the former occupation (flight attendant), it makes me sound less credible? I am NOT showing flight attendant on my resume because it was a long time ago, and I have since had a career in finance. Just wondering if it's Ok to put the above interest in the context of my old occupation... what do you all think? thanks!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:53 am

flashback wrote:How about this interest? travel (former flight attendant) I will list a few other decent interests as well, but I am undecided about this one particularly. Do you guys think that by showing the former occupation (flight attendant), it makes me sound less credible? I am NOT showing flight attendant on my resume because it was a long time ago, and I have since had a career in finance. Just wondering if it's Ok to put the above interest in the context of my old occupation... what do you all think? thanks!
I think travel is very general and is too broad a term. Try something like "European Travel", or "Exploring South America". If an interviewer starts a discussion, you can then talk about specifics, or broaden the scope

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:
flashback wrote:the problem is that in the South, there are too many narrow-minded, arrogant people, lacking intelligence and culture. so, I have to be very careful about choosing the interests. some people would just weird out about my interests. so, I have to be silent about it, although I assume they would be Ok in a state like California.

Listen, even if you put "Alternative and herbal medicine" when applying to Boston, you will get looks. I'm not from the South. When I see "herbal medicine," I think sticky icky.
lol. Ok, I'll just keep it to myself. however, I recommend you folks to look into it too, it's a good preventive measure and just a good way to stay in good health. herbs rule.
wut

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:08 am

Suralin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ajax adonis wrote:

wut
let me guess - echinacea?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

flashback

New

Post by flashback » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:31 am

not echinacea. Rhodiola Rosea, japanese medicinal mushrooms (Reishi, Maitake, Cordyceps, etc), Chaga, Gingko, Burdock root, Rosemary, Milk Thistle, Propolis..... check out the benefits of these- good stuff! I buy them on iherb.com + you can use a coupon code OPI483 to get $5 off $20/$10 off $40+ on your 1st purchase.
Last edited by flashback on Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:33 am

flashback wrote:not echinacea. Rhodiola Rosea, japanese medicinal mushrooms (Reishi, Maitake, Cordyceps, etc), Chaga, Gingko, Burdock root, Rosemary, Milk Thistle, Propolis.....
yeah, leave it off. If you ever find that someone you meet at a law firm has an interest in that kind of stuff, discuss it in great detail, but most people think it's gobbledygook

flashback

New

Post by flashback » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:35 am

these herbs are really good. don't take drugs of big pharma, use herbs, stay close to nature. I LOOOVE herbs, I really do. check out the health benefits of these herbs, and at least get a few. Propolis is a bee product- really fantastic stuff. oh, and all of these herbs are sold in capsules.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:52 am

flashback wrote:these herbs are really good. don't take drugs of big pharma, use herbs, stay close to nature. I LOOOVE herbs, I really do. check out the health benefits of these herbs, and at least get a few. Propolis is a bee product- really fantastic stuff. oh, and all of these herbs are sold in capsules.
I don't take drugs from big pharma unless I'm really, really sick. I think I've only taken medication, of any kind, 3 times in the past decade.
I used to be into aroma therapy and stuff, and our family doctor growing up was also a licensed accupuncturist and herbologist, which gives an interesting perspective. (plus, I once boinked a girl who worked at pfizer and got to hear some dirty secrets)
That doesn't mean I don't take herbal remedies with a grain of salt; some work, some don't.

Either way, it's the kind of topic that can reflect badly on you if you talk to the wrong person, but can be a bonding experience with the right one. A possible solution would be to leave it off the resume, but maybe ask for a herbal tea when offered a drink during an interview? See if you can take the conversation in that direction and feel out if you should at the same time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:52 am

flashback wrote:these herbs are really good. don't take drugs of big pharma, use herbs, stay close to nature. I LOOOVE herbs, I really do. check out the health benefits of these herbs, and at least get a few. Propolis is a bee product- really fantastic stuff. oh, and all of these herbs are sold in capsules.
Even IF any of these actually turn out to have real health benefits, I'll wait until science proves that, proves they're safe, standarizes the dosage protocols and puts them in the hands of people who went to medical school, not people who are gullible enough to think water can "remember" the properties of a few dilute molecules.
Do NOT put alternative medicine on your resume, even in liberal cities. You will look like an idiot hippie. And I'm saying that as the bleeding heart liberal child of (non-idiot) hippies.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:57 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Even IF any of these actually turn out to have real health benefits, I'll wait until science proves that, proves they're safe, standarizes the dosage protocols and puts them in the hands of people who went to medical school, not people who are gullible enough to think water can "remember" the properties of a few dilute molecules.
Do NOT put alternative medicine on your resume, even in liberal cities. You will look like an idiot hippie. And I'm saying that as the bleeding heart liberal child of (non-idiot) hippies.
Even better, don't use one that scientific research has proven to have no benefit whatsoever.

As an aside, honey does soothe sore throats. That one works (and can be bought in pharmacies)

flashback

New

Post by flashback » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:58 am

I got it, I am not putting this interest of mine on the resume. keeping it a secret. thank you.

ScottRiqui

Gold

Post by ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:23 am

rinkrat19 wrote: Even IF any of these actually turn out to have real health benefits, I'll wait until science proves that, proves they're safe, standarizes the dosage protocols and puts them in the hands of people who went to medical school, not people who are gullible enough to think water can "remember" the properties of a few dilute molecules.
(starting to crush on rinkrat19)

Homeopathy and its adherents bother me like almost nothing else on earth.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”