Have strong ties to LA, does it count also for SD?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
glitched

Have strong ties to LA, does it count also for SD?

Postby glitched » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:45 pm

Basically, LA and SD are geographically similar but still far enough for me to wonder whether my strong ties to LA will count. I have no compelling reason to be in SD other than the fact that I want to be in SoCal generally over any other market.

And while I'm on it, I have weak(?) ties to SF bc I went to undergrad in Berkeley. Does that count for Palo Alto/Silicon Valley market?

Thanks

Edit: I shouldn't have to post anything like this anon right? Always wonder about that since a pretty decent search through my profile could probably reveal a bit about me.

Edit 2: Actually, I would also love to be in SD because the city is pretty damn cool.
Last edited by glitched on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sauer Grapes

Re: Have strong ties to LA, does it count also for SD?

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:48 pm

If you had a choice between LA and SD, which would you choose?

glitched

Postby glitched » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:50 pm

Sauer Grapes wrote:If you had a choice between LA and SD, which would you choose?

Well, definitely LA. But some firms don't have an LA office. Or if they do, they aren't coming to our OCI.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:54 pm

The reason I ask is that you may be asked that very question at OCI. You should have a good answer ready if a SD firm asks that.

Secondly, if you happen to interview with both LA and SD offices of the same firm, you absolutely will get that answer.

I got the answer when interviewing for the same firm for TX and DC. I got a callback at one and not the other. I believe I didn't get the callback at the other because I hesitated a bit when asked that question.

Anyway, I can't speak to how strong LA ties would be for SD, but I think it should suffice to at least have them consider you on your other merits.

Return to “Legal Employment”