Assistance with Drafting an Opinion for a Judge

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
udonisandtrinity

Assistance with Drafting an Opinion for a Judge

Postby udonisandtrinity » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:39 pm

The judge I intern for graciously included my name in the footnote of a recently published opinion. I was wondering if anyone has had this privilege and how they highlighted this on their resume. Thanks very much!

Anonymous User

Re: Assistance with Drafting an Opinion for a Judge

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:55 am

udonisandtrinity wrote:The judge I intern for graciously included my name in the footnote of a recently published opinion. I was wondering if anyone has had this privilege and how they highlighted this on their resume. Thanks very much!

BUMP

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:07 am

I don't understand why you would put this on a resume. If you RA for a professor, you don't list every publication for which you assisted, even if they drop a vanity footnote with your name. The proper way to show you "went the extra mile" is for the judge (or professor, or employer, or whatever) to say so in person. Citing a vanity footnote on your resume sounds contrived at best.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:10 am

I don't think so. Every judicial intern I know writes opinions for their judges, which end up as mostly their work when published. It's cool that your judge seems nice and gave you a footnote, but I don't know how you would put that in your resume beyond under your job description including something like "authored opinion on x"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 am

ilovesf wrote:. . . I don't know how you would put that in your resume beyond under your job description including something like "authored opinion on x"

I think you're saying this but to be clear, do NOT write on your resume that you authored a judicial opinion. That is a big red flag and is sure to piss off your judge, other judges, and anyone who has ever clerked. It's the judge's opinion, not the clerk's.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ilovesf wrote:. . . I don't know how you would put that in your resume beyond under your job description including something like "authored opinion on x"

I think you're saying this but to be clear, do NOT write on your resume that you authored a judicial opinion. That is a big red flag and is sure to piss off your judge, other judges, and anyone who has ever clerked. It's the judge's opinion, not the clerk's.

Yeah, I wouldn't just say that, I was just trying to say that I would describe it in my resume under experience, and I didn't feel actually writing out a professional sounding sentence.

Return to “Legal Employment”