~25% at Penn, bid list Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

~25% at Penn, bid list

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:22 pm

I have a GPA between a 3.5 and 3.6. I have already talked to the CPP office but the person I talked to seemed skeptical of my top-10 or any bid on a V20 after that. She said that if I wanted to be on the safe side I should take Latham, Skadden, Weil, and Cleary out of my top-10 and not waste a bid on them so high. When I asked if I should at least take a shot at them, the CPP officer told me that there was no problem of doing so but also mentioned that "people sometimes get the winning lottery ticket as well." I knew these were reaches before, but are these V20 firms and my top-10 more specifically so out of place with my grades? (I am a solid interviewer.) Also something to note is that i do have 2 B-minuses, and that is something that the CPP representative seemed to be keenly wary about.

1. Latham & Watkins (NY)
2. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (NY)
3. Weil, Gotshal & Manges (NY)
4. Cahill Gordon & Reindel (NY)
5. White & Case (NY)
6. WilmerHale (NY)
7. dla piper (NY)
8. Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton (NY)
9. clifford chance US (NY)
10. Linklaters (NY)
11. freshfields bruckhaus deringer (NY)
12. Simpson, Thacher & Bartlett (NY)
13. Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy (NY)
14. Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft (NY)
15. Allen & Overy LLP (NY)
16. Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison (NY)
17. Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman (NY)
18. Dechert (NY)
19. Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher (NY)
20. Chadbourne & Parke (NY)
21. Shearman & Sterling (NY)
22. Kaye Scholer (NY)
23. Patterson Belknap Webb & Tyler (NY)
24. Stroock & Stroock & Lavan (NY)
25. Schulte Roth & Zabel (NY)
26. Hughes Hubbard & Reed (NY)
27. Cravath, Swaine & Moore (NY)
28. Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel (NY)
29. Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld (NY)
30. Debevoise & Plimpton (NY)
31. Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan (NY)
32. Proskauer (NY)
33. Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman (NY)
34. Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson (NY)
35. Greenberg Traurig (NY)
36. Hughes Hubbard & Reed (NY)
37. Jones Day (NY)
38. Kasowitz Benson Torres & Friedman (NY)
39. Davis Polk & Wardwell (NY)
40. Kirkland & Ellis (NY)
41. Willkie Farr & Gallagher (NY)
42. Sidley Austin (NY)
43. Paul Hastings (NY)
44. O'Melveny & Myers (NY)
45. Morrison & Foerster (NY)

Anonymous User

Re: ~25% at Penn, bid list

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:35 pm

Interesting. I have slightly over a 3.6, am exclusively targeting NYC, have almost all V5-V15 in my top 10, and CPP said my list looked good.

I have a mix of A, A-, B+, with a lucky A+ thrown in the mix. If you have a 3.5-3.6, and you have 2 B- grades, I assume the rest of your marks must be pretty impressive. I can't imagine that your situation would be that much different, unless the B- grades are seen as some kind of irredeemable blemish. I mean, if you take the grade pie chart for Weil, and assume equal parts A, A-, B+, B, it only averages out to a 3.5.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interesting. I have slightly over a 3.6, am exclusively targeting NYC, have almost all V5-V15 in my top 10, and CPP said my list looked good.

I have a mix of A, A-, B+, with a lucky A+ thrown in the mix. If you have a 3.5-3.6, and you have 2 B- grades, I assume the rest of your marks must be pretty impressive. I can't imagine that your situation would be that much different, unless the B- grades are seen as some kind of irredeemable blemish. I mean, if you take the grade pie chart for Weil, and assume equal parts A, A-, B+, B, it only averages out to a 3.5.
OP here. Yeah, that's what I (perhaps naively) assumed as well. But I'm now thinking that the sliver of B-minuses in the pie charts is indicative of firms' apprehensions against B-minuses.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interesting. I have slightly over a 3.6, am exclusively targeting NYC, have almost all V5-V15 in my top 10, and CPP said my list looked good.

OP here. Yeah, that's what I (perhaps naively) assumed as well. But I'm now thinking that the sliver of B-minuses in the pie charts is indicative of firms' apprehensions against B-minuses.
It could also just be indicative of the fact that most students with 3.5+ won't have any B-. I'm assuming all your other grades are A- and above, so it's a little abnormal

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:10 pm

I saw this thread and had to comment.

The entire body of my experience with CP&P has been negative. The entire 3 years. The office is staffed with incompetents who have little practical experience with the job market beyond self-reported data from Penn students. The annual chart they release is idiotic for a number of reasons-e.g., it displays only conclusions produced from aggregate data (collected from since before the recession) that really don't reflect current market hiring conditions; they make easily correctable mistakes in compiling data (see, e.g., Quinn's "total office size" number for this year's chart--it's some random number that's about 30% too large). I could go on.

Bottom line for OP--you're between the top 30-20%, and you should keep those V20 firms on your bidlist because you have a respectable shot at getting them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:37 pm

Funny, I have close to a 3.43ish and Cpp told me I was being too risk adverse and encouraged me to add a couple more V20s.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Funny, I have close to a 3.43ish and Cpp told me I was being too risk adverse and encouraged me to add a couple more V20s.
Sounds like it just depends on who you meet with in CP&P.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Funny, I have close to a 3.43ish and Cpp told me I was being too risk adverse and encouraged me to add a couple more V20s.
Sounds like it just depends on who you meet with in CP&P.
The inconsistency of opinions/advice that I have encountered within the CPP office is quite disappointing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:39 am

OP here, does my ordering look ok? This is also something CPP was very vague about.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”