How flexible are judge's cut-offs

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How flexible are judge's cut-offs

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:19 pm

A lot of judges ask for a certain percentile. I'm around the top 25% at a top 15 school. Is there some flexibility when the judge asks for top 10?, for example? He can't possibly be applying that percentile across the board for all law schools, right? (Read: he doesn't treat top 10% the same whether it's a TTT or T15) Clue me in please. Especially those with first-hand experience. Thanks.

AreJay711

Re: How flexible are judge's cut-offs

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:21 pm

The judge can do whatever he or she wants. I'm sure some are flexible and others aren't.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:23 pm

If people here say not flexible at all, are you really not going to apply? It's the judge's decision. If they see someone who has things that appeal to them but the person is only top 50%, the judge can still hire them.

The judge can't turn you down if you don't apply for the job.

jkech

Postby jkech » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:52 pm

depends on whether they're acid wash and also how long he's been breaking them in

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A lot of judges ask for a certain percentile. I'm around the top 25% at a top 15 school. Is there some flexibility when the judge asks for top 10?, for example? He can't possibly be applying that percentile across the board for all law schools, right? (Read: he doesn't treat top 10% the same whether it's a TTT or T15) Clue me in please. Especially those with first-hand experience. Thanks.

No such thing as T15. But you are correct that they obviously have different standards for different schools.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:00 pm

I know for a fact that the "cut-offs" posted on OSCAR don't always apply across the board. I went to a lower T14, and my GPA fell a decent bit below my judge's advertised cut-off. On the other hand, I remember seeing a few uber-prestigious COA judges who advertised no GPA preference at all (Williams on the DC Circuit, for one), and I find it hard to believe that they would realistically hire someone outside of, say, top 10%. Bottom line: as a couple posters above have noted, you can't get dinged if you don't apply.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:30 pm

jkech wrote:depends on whether they're acid wash and also how long he's been breaking them in

Return to “Legal Employment”