NYU 3.0 - Help me cut 13 firms out of my bid list! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jlbnyu2014

New

NYU 3.0 - Help me cut 13 firms out of my bid list!

Post by jlbnyu2014 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Hi,

I've come up with a list of 53 firms, but I need to cut it down to 40. Which firms should I cut? The firms are listed in order of expected summer class size, from smallest to largest. Given my grades and background, my priorities are 1) less grade conscious, 2) not IP or litigation focused, and 3) international work, in that order. Any and all advice, such as firms to add, is welcome. Help!

Venable
Haynes Boone
Vedder Price
Blank Rome
Bracewell Giuliani
Troutman Sanders
Vinson & Elkins
Fulbright Jawaroski
Sheppard Mullin
Cooley
King Spalding
Katten Munchin
Kasowitz
Winston Strawn
Holland Knight
Curtis
Goodwin Procter
Carter Ledyard
Linklaters
Brown Rudnick
Seward Kissel
Greenberg Traurig
Bingham McCutchen
Allen Overy
Mayer Brown
Morgan Lewis
Kramer Levin
hogan lovells
Foley Lardner
Hughes Hubbard
Kaye Scholer
Proskauer Rose
Pilsbury Winthrop
Mcdermott Will
Bryan Cave
Orrick
DLA
Paul Hastings
Clifford
KL Gates
O’Melveny
Akin Gump
Jones Day
Shearman
Chadbourne
Schlute Roth
Stroock
Fried Frank
Ropes gray
Willkie Farr
Dechert
Millbank
Cadwalader

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Re: NYU 3.0 - Help me cut 13 firms out of my bid list!

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Drop Jones Day and Ropes because they're out of your league. Also maybe Shearman, Milbank. Drop any firm with less than five SAs.

jlbnyu2014

New

Post by jlbnyu2014 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:57 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Drop Jones Day and Ropes because they're out of your league. Also maybe Shearman, Milbank. Drop any firm with less than five SAs.
Thanks for the advice. Anyone else? Other firms you see that are out of my league, or otherwise don't mesh with my interests / background (transactions, preferably cross-border)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:04 pm

jlbnyu2014 wrote:
dixiecupdrinking wrote:Drop Jones Day and Ropes because they're out of your league. Also maybe Shearman, Milbank. Drop any firm with less than five SAs.
Thanks for the advice. Anyone else? Other firms you see that are out of my league, or otherwise don't mesh with my interests / background (transactions, preferably cross-border)?
Get rid of Kasowitz since you don't want lit, and I'd probably drop Mayer Brown as well.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:16 pm

jlbnyu2014 wrote:
I agree with the Kasowitz suggestion. I don't think they even have a transactional practice.

I'd guess that Proskauer, Akin and Willkie might be big reaches. But I dunno, man. To be blunt, a 3.0 puts you near the bottom of the class and no firm will be close to a sure thing. If you haven't spoken to OCS yet I encourage you to do so ASAP. You need to have a good strategy going in.

jlbnyu2014

New

Post by jlbnyu2014 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'd guess that Proskauer, Akin and Willkie might be big reaches. But I dunno, man. To be blunt, a 3.0 puts you near the bottom of the class and no firm will be close to a sure thing. If you haven't spoken to OCS yet I encourage you to do so ASAP. You need to have a good strategy going in.
yeah, the first step is to get as many screeners as possible. thanks for the help so far. anyone else?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”