Computer Science Post Bacc for Patent Law

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Computer Science Post Bacc for Patent Law

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:27 pm

I have no specific plans to do this, but I was just curious if any liberal arts major has ever looked into getting a post-graduate computer science qualification that allows them to take the patent bar. It would seem that internet/software-related patent litigation is huge right now.

What kind of program would be a good choice for this short of going for 3 + years for a second B.A.? If I were ever to do this, it would be a 2 year max program from a well-respected university, and I'd have to be sure it qualified me to take the patent bar.

fatduck

Re: Computer Science Post Bacc for Patent Law

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have no specific plans to do this, but I was just curious if any liberal arts major has ever looked into getting a post-graduate computer science qualification that allows them to take the patent bar. It would seem that internet/software-related patent litigation is huge right now.

What kind of program would be a good choice for this short of going for 3 + years for a second B.A.? If I were ever to do this, it would be a 2 year max program from a well-respected university, and I'd have to be sure it qualified me to take the patent bar.

how liberal artsy is your major? any chance you can take some additional classes and qualify for the patent bar?
Last edited by fatduck on Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have no specific plans to do this, but I was just curious if any liberal arts major has ever looked into getting a post-graduate computer science qualification that allows them to take the patent bar. It would seem that internet/software-related patent litigation is huge right now.

If for patent prosecution, it won't work - clients simply won't trust you.

If for patent litigation, this degree gives you edges close to none. Order of coif is worth much more than this degree.

Fujin11

Postby Fujin11 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:10 pm

I have a similar question: I have 4 credits of chemistry and 15 credits of Bio on my transcript from undergrad (my degree is in something completely unrelated). Granted my grades in those subjects were sub-par; however, is it worth it to take summer classes at say a community college or local state school to meet the Patent Bar criteria (say one gen chem 2 course and three bio courses) and take the patent bar to increase the range employment prospects?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:28 pm

I think the benefit is that you can practice in front of the PTO. I don't really feel that it will increase your employability much. While you technically passed the patent bar and can prosecute, clients may still want someone who has a degree in the area.

Return to “Legal Employment”