Extracurriculars Important?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Extracurriculars Important?

Postby Perseus_I » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:33 pm

I did a secondary journal for 1L and may continue on it, if I don't make Law Review. I also volunteered for an outside legal nonprofit a little bit during 1L.

Otherwise, are extracurricular activities really that important for OCI? My school doesn't really offer organizations that match my interests. I am not going to join the Federalist Society. Yet I have no interest in gay rights or the environment (not against those things - just not interested). I am, however, interested in anti-poverty causes. But we don't really have those, aside from clinics.

I am taking a clinic, however, that focuses on helping small businesses get off the ground; it will take a lot of my time. That and a journal/LR was about all I was planning to do first semester 2L. Should I suddenly develop a new interest in getting on a leadership position in something like the "Student Bar Association," or should I not care?

I have 3-4 years of interesting WE. That could be why I have little motivation to do most law school extracurriculars. Do firms expect you to be involved in law school even with WE?

Anonymous User

Re: Extracurriculars Important?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:51 pm

I think you're fine. Journal is enough.

Return to “Legal Employment”