Another bid list - below median, BC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Another bid list - below median, BC

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:35 am

Bottom third at BC. Some part of my brain knows I'm fucked, the other parts refuse to completely give up without trying. So here it is:

SheppardMullin
Hinckley
Wolf Greenfield
Seward Kissel
Kaye Scholer
Blank Rome
Milbank
Nutter McLennen
Lowenstein
Goulston Storrs
Fried Frank
Stroock
DLA Piper
Foley Hoag
Choate Hall
Hogan Lovells
Mayer Brown
Gibson Dunn
Akin Gump
King and Spalding
Sullivan & Worcester
Carter Ledyard
Brown Rudnick
Mintz Levin
Bryan Cave
Epstein Becker

Feedback? Suggestions of any kind? Assurances that I may have a chance?

Anonymous User

Re: Another bid list - below median, BC

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:43 am

to be honest: not much hope.
don't expect anything from OCI.
It isn't 2007 anymore.

If you have a computer science background or other technical background, you may still get biglaw. I know someone with below average grades but a BS in computer science getting an offer from finnegan.

otherwise, network for the remaining years of law school, and try to get as much firm experience (small firms, paid or unpaid) as possible.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:52 am

I can't imagine any of those places would bite. Are there actual firms that take bottom 1/3 of your class? If so you need to bid on them, not these. Not only are you going to be in bad shape for OCI but you will be ignoring options that would potentially be interested in you in favor of these dream options that will not be. Don't these firms have OCI cutoffs that would exclude you? Those cutoffs exist for a reason-- the firms really are not interested in people beneath them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:04 pm

Very unrealistic list. You need to pick out the absolute least selective firms and use them to compose your list. You have way too many firms that would never bite for bottom third. Btw, you had better be looking into alternate hiring channels because if you rely solely on OCI, you will likely be screwed. Get the ball rolling with tailored mass mailings to smaller and local firms where you have ties.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:16 pm

OP here. Thanks for the replies, I'm definitely not relying on OCI and am trying to finish all the mass mailing before OCI.

Some of these firms I have contacts at (like partners), so I wanted to give it a shot, but I know that OCI isn't going to be my best chance at these places.

Can someone name a few examples of the "least selective firms?" I've chosen based on firms that have picked up median kids from my school and also have large class sizes...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:22 pm

A lot of these firms don't even interview at BC (at OCI or through the satelite programs). Like Gibson Dunn, DLA Piper, etc. I'm not sure why these are on your bid lists...?

Second of all, doesn't BC allow unlimited bids? Why would you just not bid every single firm and hope a couple maybe see something on your resume that they like? From talking to career services, it sounds like you might get 1 interview from the lottery, and maybe 1-2 preselects if you're lucky.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A lot of these firms don't even interview at BC (at OCI or through the satelite programs). Like Gibson Dunn, DLA Piper, etc. I'm not sure why these are on your bid lists...?

Second of all, doesn't BC allow unlimited bids? Why would you just not bid every single firm and hope a couple maybe see something on your resume that they like? From talking to career services, it sounds like you might get 1 interview from the lottery, and maybe 1-2 preselects if you're lucky.

Oh I think I went and included some firms that I'm going to mass mail because I have contacts there by mistake. And yes I can bid on any number of firms, but I thought it'd be more useful to make a list of firms that are least selective and/or have large classes sizes, and then get informational interviews with them before August. Really, I just want to focus all my energy on researching and preparing for the firms that I might have a small chance at.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A lot of these firms don't even interview at BC (at OCI or through the satelite programs). Like Gibson Dunn, DLA Piper, etc. I'm not sure why these are on your bid lists...?

Oh I think I went and included some firms that I'm going to mass mail because I have contacts there by mistake. And yes I can bid on any number of firms, but I thought it'd be more useful to make a list of firms that are least selective and/or have large classes sizes, and then get informational interviews with them before August. Really, I just want to focus all my energy on researching and preparing for the firms that I might have a small chance at.

Well just about all of these are reach firms unless you have some great IP degree, great work experience, etc. And some of them are just like, no f*cking way: like Gibson Dunn, Fried Frank, Akin Gump, Foley, Choate, and Mayer Brown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:00 pm

what is the gpa cut off for bottom 1/3?
I thought BC only has a cut-off for median?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what is the gpa cut off for bottom 1/3?
I thought BC only has a cut-off for median?

I'm estimating, but it's a fairly decent guess from what I've heard from 2Ls, 3Ls and a couple of my classmates. We don't really talk about grades at BC compared to other schools, but I'm close friends with a lot of people and they tell me stuff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:06 pm

i am curious.
is it like a 3.05 because the top 1/3 is like a 3.45? I am assuming a normal distribution.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:47 pm

what's your bid strategy re lottery? In a similar situation and trying to figure out what to do. Is your list in the order you plan to bid and want advice on? to others who know about BC's system, does the above seem reasonable or what other suggestions might you have?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:47 pm

not going to get too specific re: GPA because the mods can see who I am, and sometimes I wonder if any of the mods are BC people, but yes I'm assuming normal distribution when I say bottom third.

what's your bid strategy re lottery? In a similar situation and trying to figure out what to do. Is your list in the order you plan to bid and want advice on?

I have the most contacts at DLA Piper, Brown Rudnick, Gibson Dunn and Mayer Brown, so I didn't list the firms in the order I plan to bid. Going on what I've heard here, I may restrict all of my bids the least selective firms I can find (i.e. not take advantage of the unlimited bids and just bid on everything) so that whatever I get as lottery, I may have a chance of at least making an impression.

I'm clinging to the fact that I know some people who have gotten Biglaw from median at our school...there's a difference between median and bottom third of course but trying to just be positive about it until I strike out

Pokemon

Postby Pokemon » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:42 pm

There are few firms that seem to be completely Boston/New England based. Prince Lobel comes easily to mind but there are few others I am sure. Mass mail them I would guess.

Return to “Legal Employment”