Answering the 'Where Else Are You Looking?' Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Answering the 'Where Else Are You Looking?' Question

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:26 am

Hey all,

I am planning to bid two secondary markets to which I have strong ties and one primary market where I also have ties. I have been told by my school's CSO that my list looks good in light of my particular circumstances. My only question is how to deal with the question about where else I am looking. I saw some previous posts about just vaguely mentioning some of the other firms in the market. I figure I can do that if the interviewer asks a vague question about where else I am looking. However, I've heard that some interviewers might ask what other markets you are looking at.

So far, my answer to the question has varied depending on the market. My top market is very small and insular and not where I am from. I am planning to mention that I applied to some firms in the market where I am from but that this market is my top choice.

For the market where I am from, I am planning to say that I am mainly targeting that market and leave it at that if I can. Even though it is my second choice, it is true that the largest portion of my energies is directed at that market.

For the primary market, I am planning to mention that I am looking at my home market because I am from there but that I am also strongly interested in this market because of my strong professional ties to the area.

Are these responses appropriate? Each one is true, and I want to be honest.

Thanks.

Zeile

Re: Answering the 'Where Else Are You Looking?' Question

Postby Zeile » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:15 am

tagged

fatduck

Re: Answering the 'Where Else Are You Looking?' Question

Postby fatduck » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:23 am

i'll hazard a guess

in each case, characterize your bids on the other market(s) as a backup plan in case you can't land anything in the primary market

Return to “Legal Employment”