YLS FIP

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: YLS FIP

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Gibson gave out on-the-spot invitations to dinners to some (but not all) interviewees. Even the dinner invitees haven't been told yet whether they've gotten callbacks, though.

Is there any consensus on whether this is dispositive of whether an interviewee will receive a callback (or, conversely, an interviewee who was not invited will not receive a callback)? Were all Gibson interviewers involved or just a handful?

Absolutely no idea. I'm not even sure if it was all offices or just DC. Totally baffling.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Gibson gave out on-the-spot invitations to dinners to some (but not all) interviewees. Even the dinner invitees haven't been told yet whether they've gotten callbacks,

Heard Munger did this too. Maybe it's a California thing? Seems like you wouldn't be in the running for a callback if you weren't invited to the dinner. Have no knowledge of this, it's just what makes sense to me. Be glad to see if anyone else knows more...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:07 am

Sorry to invade the thread, but as a student at another school who got invited to one of these Gibson dinners, I thought I could contribute. The dinner was the night of the screening interview, and I assumed it meant I'd get a callback (they really treated it that way I thought). A week later...ding by snail mail. Kinda weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to invade the thread, but as a student at another school who got invited to one of these Gibson dinners, I thought I could contribute. The dinner was the night of the screening interview, and I assumed it meant I'd get a callback (they really treated it that way I thought). A week later...ding by snail mail. Kinda weird.

See, this shit is just so weird. Maybe they just WANT to make us all insane with their mind games. Thank you anonymous invader, your invasion is benevolent :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to invade the thread, but as a student at another school who got invited to one of these Gibson dinners, I thought I could contribute. The dinner was the night of the screening interview, and I assumed it meant I'd get a callback (they really treated it that way I thought). A week later...ding by snail mail. Kinda weird.

That's my guess. If no dinner invite, no callback, but dinner invite does not necessarily mean callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:00 pm

Anyone heard from Arnold & Porter DC, interviewer JB? I know some callbacks went out but I'm not sure if all have.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Arnold & Porter DC, interviewer JB? I know some callbacks went out but I'm not sure if all have.

I had AR, no word yet on my end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard from Arnold & Porter DC, interviewer JB? I know some callbacks went out but I'm not sure if all have.

CB from A&P, interviewer MJ.
But I'm curious about Latham DC. Have others heard from KM?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, he called on Tuesday morning, unfortunately.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, he called on Tuesday morning, unfortunately.

What I had feared.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Interviewed at Gibson, went to the dinner. There were interviewees for all offices at the dinner (about a dozen students total). Got a Gibson callback this afternoon, so I think dinner is a pre-callback callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed at Gibson, went to the dinner. There were interviewees for all offices at the dinner (about a dozen students total). Got a Gibson callback this afternoon, so I think dinner is a pre-callback callback.

In NY? I've heard of Gibson NY'ers getting callbacks, but haven't heard anything about DC or LA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed at Gibson, went to the dinner. There were interviewees for all offices at the dinner (about a dozen students total). Got a Gibson callback this afternoon, so I think dinner is a pre-callback callback.

In NY? I've heard of Gibson NY'ers getting callbacks, but haven't heard anything about DC or LA.

The TLS forums (some threads from 2011 and 2010) also say that getting invited to the dinner is not a guaranteed CB, and interviewees can get CBs without having been invited to the dinner. FWIW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The TLS forums (some threads from 2011 and 2010) also say that getting invited to the dinner is not a guaranteed CB, and interviewees can get CBs without having been invited to the dinner. FWIW.

At least some Gibson DC CBs (TH) are out. I know of people who were invited to the dinner and didn't go who got callbacks, so it can't be a make-or-break screen.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
At least some Gibson DC CBs (TH) are out. I know of people who were invited to the dinner and didn't go who got callbacks, so it can't be a make-or-break screen.

I got a Gibson DC callback, and I was not invited to the dinner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 am

What's up with W&C?

If I haven't heard from Cov, A&P, JD, am I shit outta luck?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's up with W&C?

If I haven't heard from Cov, A&P, JD, am I shit outta luck?

I heard W&C callbacks went out yesterday and today. Who was your interviewer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:15 am

Seems like W & C cut way back on the number of CBs. Have to figure that they are done at this point, and only 6 on spreadsheet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Seems like W & C cut way back on the number of CBs. Have to figure that they are done at this point, and only 6 on spreadsheet.

Yep, pretty sure they're done, unfortunately.

If I have total silence from a bunch of firms that have already given many callbacks and sent many rejection letters (e.g., Jones Day and Covington), does this mean ding? I think it does.

Return to “Legal Employment”