Mass Mailing London!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
FlanAl

Mass Mailing London!

Postby FlanAl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:09 pm

Anyone mass mailed UK firms' London offices or have any tips on this? Pretty sure doing this won't be fruitful but why not right?

fatduck

Re: Mass Mailing London!

Postby fatduck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:16 pm

FlanAl wrote:Anyone mass mailed UK firms' London offices or have any tips on this? Pretty sure doing this won't be fruitful but why not right?

make sure you work in some british spelling differences - tell them you would like the honour of interviewing with the firm, mention their clients in the aluminium industry, etc.

other than that, pretty much the same as mailing US firms. extremely low success rate, but worth a shot.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:17 pm

I plan to do this but to asian firms. One of my friend did this last fall for her 1L SA, and got a position, again in an asian country. So, there's hope. Do you know if it is common for these firms to make offer at the end of 2L SA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:09 pm

I snagged a job doing this.

You need to find the Americans in the firm (for US firms and UK firms). Don't contact their HR department, or else you will never hear back. Look up on their website and try to find whoever is the managing partner of that office or who is in charge of recruiting (needs to be a recruiting partner, not HR). Then send them a very personalized email explaining in detail connections to London, language skills, interest in Capital Markets (which is mostly what Americans do over there), business background, etc. Say that you want to work there, and that you would appreciate any advice they have, or them passing on your resume to someone who is in charge of recruiting. Attach your resume and cover letter, and make sure the cover letter is very personalized to that firm.

There are probably 20 or so firms, including the US firms, that have Americans working in them. Some have 2-3 americans (Norton Rose, Ashurst, Norton), some have 15+ Americans (Latham, Freshfields, Linklaters, Kirkland). Overall, I think that there are something like 200 American attorneys working in London (I might be off on this).

The key is emailing the right people at the right time, and showing them that you have the background to work long term over there. The guys who go over for just 2-3 years usually come in through a big American firm's New York office for a rotation (Latham, Davis, Skadden, Cleary, etc.). So if you are applying straight to that office (especially if it's an English firm), you better have good connections or a good reason for settling down in London.

Anyways, your letter should be personal and sincere enough to elicit a response. I had about 15-20 different partners emailing me back with suggestions about who I should contact, what firms were hiring, etc. If you can find a firm that's coming to your school's OCI, it might be even better since you can ask for an interview while they're in town.

Good luck!

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:08 am

hey anonymous thanks for the tips! Any thoughts on a timeline for this? Or how about making my day and pm ing me a couple of those contacts? Any thoughts on firms with no us department and just rocking the traineeship? (I'm actually slightly more interested in working up in Scotland, not sure they would have much use for a US trained person though)

Thanks a bunch for all of your advice!

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 am

FlanAl wrote:hey anonymous thanks for the tips! Any thoughts on a timeline for this? Or how about making my day and pm ing me a couple of those contacts? Any thoughts on firms with no us department and just rocking the traineeship? (I'm actually slightly more interested in working up in Scotland, not sure they would have much use for a US trained person though)

Thanks a bunch for all of your advice!

Also, if you wanted to cross-qualify I'm not sure Scotland has the same reciprocity standards (because Scots law is weird).

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:04 pm

I've targeted a handful of London firms that have a particular practice group in a niche area that I have strong WE in. So far no outright dings.

wuduhel

Postby wuduhel » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:36 pm

What's the deal with summer work at UK firms other than M&A, securities, etc? I've targeted a niche transactional practice and am starting to get responses from firms, but they don't seem to be typical summer associate positions.

Return to “Legal Employment”