Anyone ever receive an email ASKING them to apply?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone ever receive an email ASKING them to apply?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:05 pm

I am median at a lower T14, and URM. I have heard (but not sure if it's true) that some select students can get invitations from certain NJ Big Law firms asking them to submit a resume and writing sample (unsolicited) prior to the start of OCI...say around this time.
Someone at my school told me that he recently received an invite from an NALP firm asking him to submit a resume and writing sample. The firm claimed they got his name from career services at his school. This student said he never once contacted the firm and all of a sudden he gets an email asking him to submit a resume and writing sample. He does have his permanent residence in NJ. Also, the firm does not do OCI at his school.
Does anyone know if any of the NJ firms send out invitations asking people to apply?
It sounds too good to be true. I don't know if this student was called after he submitted his resume.
This sounds like a pre-invite? Can anyone confirm that stuff like this happens. And if it does, when do they call you after you submit the requested material??? At the time they do OCI in NJ, or before?
How can I get this to happen to me?

fatduck

Re: Anyone ever receive an email ASKING them to apply?

Postby fatduck » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am median at a lower T14, and URM. I have heard (but not sure if it's true) that some select students can get invitations from certain NJ Big Law firms asking them to submit a resume and writing sample (unsolicited) prior to the start of OCI...say around this time.
Someone at my school told me that he recently received an invite from an NALP firm asking him to submit a resume and writing sample. The firm claimed they got his name from career services at his school. This student said he never once contacted the firm and all of a sudden he gets an email asking him to submit a resume and writing sample. He does have his permanent residence in NJ. Also, the firm does not do OCI at his school.
Does anyone know if any of the NJ firms send out invitations asking people to apply?
It sounds too good to be true. I don't know if this student was called after he submitted his resume.
This sounds like a pre-invite? Can anyone confirm that stuff like this happens. And if it does, when do they call you after you submit the requested material??? At the time they do OCI in NJ, or before?
How can I get this to happen to me?

setting aside the possibility that this story is bullshit, what does it matter? i really doubt there's anything you can do at this point to "get noticed" other than oh, you know, mass mailing resumes to firms, which you should be doing anyway in a few weeks.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:11 pm

We signed up with certain firms (yes in NJ) as a part of resume collection or reception, and we received solicitation to apply. You can go straight to callback, probably before or after OCI. However I don't think they can just get your name without you contacting them first. Many of the 1L firms that I applied to are contacting me now, and they are probably contacting everyone who had any kind of contact with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:43 am

yes, but it was probably a mass email sent to the whole 1L class.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Prob. BS. I was contacted by a few NJ firms that rejected me 1l and have an interview with one next week. But I initiated contact back in December.

Return to “Legal Employment”