Mass Mail Cover Letter Format

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mail Cover Letter Format

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:00 pm

My address
my phone
my email

vs.

Firm's contact person
Title
Firm
their address

[issue: our CSO says to put their address in the upper left-hand corner. However, this does not make as much sense for email, and this TLS post has the applicant's address here. Issue: You never have the address of the firm or even the full name of the person you are contacting but simply jump into "Dear Ms./Mr. XXXXX." That seems a little odd]

July 05, 2012

Dear Ms./Mr. X,

I am a rising second year law student at XXXXXXXX, and I am writing to apply for a summer associate position with XXXX. I will travel to XXXX for XX and I will stay in the area until XXX. If it is convenient for you, I wish to schedule a screening interview during that period.

I was born and spent my childhood in XXXXX where many members of my family still live. I return to XXXX frequently to visit my grandmother, who lives in XXXXX For my second summer, I wish to return to XXXXX as a summer associate because I hope to eventually practice law in the area. [where to put firm specific sentence?]

During the summer after my first year in law school, I interned with a xXXXX judge in XXXX City where I acquired significant first-hand experience in bankruptcy law, commercial litigation, and tax law. This experience has confirmed my broad interest corporate law, and it has given me a terrific opportunity to hone my legal research and writing abilities. In addition, I acquired some useful skills prior to law school. My XXXXX gave me great attention to detail, leadership skills, and maturity. Further, my experience as an XXXX instructor in XXX country refined my communication skills.

I am eager to apply the skills I have acquired from those pursuits to law firm work.

I have attached my resume and transcript, and would be happy to provide any additional information that would be helpful. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Enclosure

my contact info if firm's address put in the upper left

Zeile

Re: Mass Mail Cover Letter Format

Postby Zeile » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:15 pm

tagged

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:19 pm

If it's a paper/print letter, you put it on letterhead paper where your address is in the upper margins. So to use it for emailing, your address is omitted and use everything else like how you put it on paper. So

Date

Name
Title
Address

Dear Mr./Ms. xxx,

I would just type up the cover letter in Word like real letter (with your info in the letterhead) then copy/paste the whole body into the email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:22 pm

[Your name]
[Your address]
[your phone/email]

[Date]

[their name]
[their title]
[their address]

[Re:]

[Dear Ms. Their Name:]

[Body of letter]

Sincerely,

[signature]
[your name]

yogurt31

Postby yogurt31 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My address
my phone
my email

vs.

Firm's contact person
Title
Firm
their address

[issue: our CSO says to put their address in the upper left-hand corner. However, this does not make as much sense for email, and this TLS post has the applicant's address here. Issue: You never have the address of the firm or even the full name of the person you are contacting but simply jump into "Dear Ms./Mr. XXXXX." That seems a little odd]

July 05, 2012

Dear Ms./Mr. X,

I am a rising second year law student at XXXXXXXX, and I am writing to apply for a summer associate position with XXXX. I will travel to XXXX for XX and I will stay in the area until XXX. If it is convenient for you, I wish to schedule a screening interview during that period.

I was born and spent my childhood in XXXXX where many members of my family still live. I return to XXXX frequently to visit my grandmother, who lives in XXXXX For my second summer, I wish to return to XXXXX as a summer associate because I hope to eventually practice law in the area. [where to put firm specific sentence?]

During the summer after my first year in law school, I interned with a xXXXX judge in XXXX City where I acquired significant first-hand experience in bankruptcy law, commercial litigation, and tax law. This experience has confirmed my broad interest corporate law, and it has given me a terrific opportunity to hone my legal research and writing abilities. In addition, I acquired some useful skills prior to law school. My XXXXX gave me great attention to detail, leadership skills, and maturity. Further, my experience as an XXXX instructor in XXX country refined my communication skills.

I am eager to apply the skills I have acquired from those pursuits to law firm work.

I have attached my resume and transcript, and would be happy to provide any additional information that would be helpful. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you again for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Enclosure

maybe a silly question, but do you use the past tense for a summer job that is ongoing? "I acquired the skills" sounds a lot better than "I am acquiring" or "I have acquired"..

yogurt31

Postby yogurt31 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:17 pm

yogurt31 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My address
my phone
my email

vs.

Firm's contact person
Title
Firm
their address

July 05, 2012

Dear Ms./Mr. X,

Sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Enclosure

maybe a silly question, but do you use the past tense for a summer job that is ongoing? "I acquired the skills" sounds a lot better than "I am acquiring" or "I have acquired"..

ALso, how would you work in that you will be bidding on an interview spot at the firms upcoming OCI into the body of the letter?

Return to “Legal Employment”