Reconciling Gov't Summer Work with Firm Interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reconciling Gov't Summer Work with Firm Interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:59 pm

So, I'm working pretty high up in a state gov't agency this summer (think directly for an executive cabinet member) but want to snag a firm job in the fall; whether it's large or medium. How do I address my government experience with my desire to work private practice? I like what I'm doing, but PP paychecks are alluring and a solid start for any career it seems. I have pre-law school experience doing contract paralegal work in some big firms doing doc review and at some companies' in-house counsel depts doing some other stuff. Not sure what angle to play when they ask why I'm not trying for government jobs.

Any help would be fantastic, thank you.

Re: Reconciling Gov't Summer Work with Firm Interviews

Postby chasgoose » Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Firms don't expect 1Ls to work at firms for the summer. Government work gives you a lot of relevant experience so just spin it that way

Return to “Legal Employment”