3L job hunt timeline for plaintiff-side firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L job hunt timeline for plaintiff-side firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Rising 3L, currently an SA at a prominent plaintiffs firm. Love the job, but chances of offer are less than 50%. I'm starting to compile firms to apply to in the event that I don't get an offer. In the past, folks have received offers around mid-Nov. Is that too late to start applying? What should my timeline look like? I'm targeting plaintiff-side firms in the Southeast/Mid-Atlantic, although I would not be opposed to a mid-size defense firm.

Stats: ~33% T50, Secondary journal

For mods: Not a troll, friend posting from account. Long story, but it involves alcohol.

Anonymous User

Re: 3L job hunt timeline for plaintiff-side firms

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:52 pm

I have no helpful advice, but I'm also interested in this. Rising 3L with a SA at a V50 firm but I would actually really like to get into a decent plaintiffs' firm with a mass tort/products liability/consumer class action practice and/or securities practice. Interested in getting advice about applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:51 am

network and network more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:16 pm

Is there any way to mass mail these firms or are jobs like these only obtained through networking?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:28 pm

For more established and larger plaintiffs' firms, e.g. Labaton, RGRD, Bernstein, Lieff, Motley Rice, etc., you just need to start mass-mailing now.

If you don't care what market you end up practicing in, use the ISS SCAS list as a starting point of where to target your mass mailing campaign. --LinkRemoved--

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:42 pm

What is pay like at these firms?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is pay like at these firms?

Depends on the market, the type of firm, etc.

Give me an example, I can better answer your question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:32 am

I'm trying to figure this out too. The problem seems to be that so few hire entry-level associates at all. I've applied to a couple good ones in my area (I have pretty good stats) and the consistent message has been "You've got great credentials and ties, call us again in 2-3 years."

anon168

Postby anon168 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm trying to figure this out too. The problem seems to be that so few hire entry-level associates at all. I've applied to a couple good ones in my area (I have pretty good stats) and the consistent message has been "You've got great credentials and ties, call us again in 2-3 years."

It's not you but the nature of the business model.

Most plaintiffs' firms - even the biggest -- rarely have the overhead cushion to hire recent grads and pay them to do essentially what a contract attorney can do at half the cost (i.e. lower salary, no secretarial support, little to no benefits, etc). There isn't the time nor the resources to train a young lawyer how to practice law because everything is contingency based.

So unless there is a particular need or an expansion into a particular market or practice area, most of these firms will shy away from hiring recent grads. There is always a limited amount of hiring but it is largely sporadic.

You just have to keep trying.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:33 am

How much do firms like Cohen Milstein pay?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:How much do firms like Cohen Milstein pay?

In DC/NYC, it's midlaw salary range.

Return to “Legal Employment”