Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Trying to make a decision between K&L Gates and Jackson Walker (Dallas). Any advice?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to make a decision between K&L Gates and Jackson Walker (Dallas). Any advice?


Without knowing your practice area interests, I would say JW hands down.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Trying to make a decision between K&L Gates and Jackson Walker (Dallas). Any advice?


Without knowing your practice area interests, I would say JW hands down.

Definitely Jackson Walker.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:31 am

Considering they will actually be around come next summer, I'd say JW. http://abovethelaw.com/2012/09/partners ... -kl-gates/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Trying to make a decision between K&L Gates and Jackson Walker (Dallas). Any advice?


Without knowing your practice area interests, I would say JW hands down.

Definitely Jackson Walker.


Definitely.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:Trying to make a decision between K&L Gates and Jackson Walker (Dallas). Any advice?



There is no decision to make, Jackson Walker

2014utLaw
Posts: 47
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby 2014utLaw » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:26 am

.
Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 pm

Any more responses from Susman? 1 person claimed to get an offer earlier this week.
You still around? Was it over the phone?
In my callback, the partner said that they don't use a waitlist, so when they told me that calls would be going out on Monday and I didn't get one, I assumed I would have a ding letter by Wednesday or Thursday.
Maybe he lied or maybe the letter's still in the mail.
....or maybe....just maybe....they've been frantically trying to get a hold of me because they want me so bad (like, how bad I want Jay (from Modern Family)'s wife's boobs kinda bad) but they have a company policy against leaving voicemails and they happen to only call when I've been in other interviews or in class....maybe that's what's going on....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more responses from Susman? 1 person claimed to get an offer earlier this week.
You still around? Was it over the phone?
In my callback, the partner said that they don't use a waitlist, so when they told me that calls would be going out on Monday and I didn't get one, I assumed I would have a ding letter by Wednesday or Thursday.
Maybe he lied or maybe the letter's still in the mail.
....or maybe....just maybe....they've been frantically trying to get a hold of me because they want me so bad (like, how bad I want Jay (from Modern Family)'s wife's boobs kinda bad) but they have a company policy against leaving voicemails and they happen to only call when I've been in other interviews or in class....maybe that's what's going on....


I'm not the anon you're referring to, but I can confirm that all offers have gone out in Texas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any more responses from Susman? 1 person claimed to get an offer earlier this week.
You still around? Was it over the phone?
In my callback, the partner said that they don't use a waitlist, so when they told me that calls would be going out on Monday and I didn't get one, I assumed I would have a ding letter by Wednesday or Thursday.
Maybe he lied or maybe the letter's still in the mail.
....or maybe....just maybe....they've been frantically trying to get a hold of me because they want me so bad (like, how bad I want Jay (from Modern Family)'s wife's boobs kinda bad) but they have a company policy against leaving voicemails and they happen to only call when I've been in other interviews or in class....maybe that's what's going on....


I'm not the anon you're referring to, but I can confirm that all offers have gone out in Texas.


Original anon here. Yes, I can confirm Dallas and Houston offers via phone on (last) Friday and Monday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:37 pm

Anyone hear from Yetter Coleman yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Anyone hear from Andrews Kurth Houston? Interview Tuesday Sept 18..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Andrews Kurth Houston? Interview Tuesday Sept 18..


My buddy has an offer from them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:51 pm

When did they interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Andrews Kurth Houston? Interview Tuesday Sept 18..


My buddy has an offer from them.


When did they interview? Was it a phone call or letter offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Andrews Kurth Houston? Interview Tuesday Sept 18..


My buddy has an offer from them.


When did they interview? Was it a phone call or letter offer?


I don't want to give away too much of his info. Pretty sure it was a phone call though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:22 pm

Yeah, AK Houston offers have been going out pretty steadily over the past few weeks. Got one a week after my iview via phone call.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:36 pm

Any recent movement in Houston for HB, B&G, or Winstead?

ljk88
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:42 pm

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby ljk88 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:46 pm

Any thoughts on Locke Lord vs. Baker McKenzie v. Porter Hedges all Houston for transactional work?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:08 pm

Patton Boggs Dallas email ding today. CB two weeks ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Bickel & Brewer updates?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:10 pm

AK Dallas snail mail ding today. CB about three weeks ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:47 pm

ljk88 wrote:Any thoughts on Locke Lord vs. Baker McKenzie v. Porter Hedges all Houston for transactional work?



If you want a lot of Fortune 500 work, I would rule out Porter Hedges. They have a solid reputation but the size of the deals will be smaller compared to the other two firms. Plus, I know of some associates that have experience delayed start dates in recent years.

I think Locke Lord & Baker McKenzie would probably be similar in the type of work, but then it comes down to people. I would base your decision off of how you felt after callbacks and also what size of an office you want to work in. The BakerMac Houston office is smaller so it might allow you to have more intimate interactions with partners and take on more responsibility.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ljk88 wrote:Any thoughts on Locke Lord vs. Baker McKenzie v. Porter Hedges all Houston for transactional work?



If you want a lot of Fortune 500 work, I would rule out Porter Hedges. They have a solid reputation but the size of the deals will be smaller compared to the other two firms. Plus, I know of some associates that have experience delayed start dates in recent years.

I think Locke Lord & Baker McKenzie would probably be similar in the type of work, but then it comes down to people. I would base your decision off of how you felt after callbacks and also what size of an office you want to work in. The BakerMac Houston office is smaller so it might allow you to have more intimate interactions with partners and take on more responsibility.

Former SA at LL. This is purely anecdotal, of course, but I got great partner exposure. In fact, I only worked with partners on my assignments. Nothing but good things to say about the firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273050
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ljk88 wrote:Any thoughts on Locke Lord vs. Baker McKenzie v. Porter Hedges all Houston for transactional work?



If you want a lot of Fortune 500 work, I would rule out Porter Hedges. They have a solid reputation but the size of the deals will be smaller compared to the other two firms. Plus, I know of some associates that have experience delayed start dates in recent years.

I think Locke Lord & Baker McKenzie would probably be similar in the type of work, but then it comes down to people. I would base your decision off of how you felt after callbacks and also what size of an office you want to work in. The BakerMac Houston office is smaller so it might allow you to have more intimate interactions with partners and take on more responsibility.

Former SA at LL. This is purely anecdotal, of course, but I got great partner exposure. In fact, I only worked with partners on my assignments. Nothing but good things to say about the firm.


Does anyone know anything about Baker & McKenzie Houston?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.