Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:HayBoo Dallas offer today. UT.

Congrats! When was your cb?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! CB was 9/7. Was part of the thurs-fri group CBs. Was told on the phone that I was supposed to get the offer last Friday but the person to call me was out of town. Not sure if that means offers went out Friday too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! CB was 9/7. Was part of the thurs-fri group CBs. Was told on the phone that I was supposed to get the offer last Friday but the person to call me was out of town. Not sure if that means offers went out Friday too.

Thanks for the info. My cb was last week, I guess it doesn't look good for me then!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:23 pm

AK Dallas, Non-UT

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:47 pm

Anyone have any updates on Bracewell Houston? I know a few offers have gone out and I know they have dinged a few people but a fair number of people still seem to be waiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:AK Dallas, Non-UT

Stats? Did they mention if all offers were going out today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any updates on Bracewell Houston? I know a few offers have gone out and I know they have dinged a few people but a fair number of people still seem to be waiting.

I asked around about Houston. They seem to be doing it pretty piecemeal. FWIW, I know of at least one person who has been offered who will not likely accept the offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Does anyone know where I can find a list of 2nd half only firms in TX?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Had a CB with Fulbright Houston recently. Does anyone know what their turnaround time is like?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know where I can find a list of 2nd half only firms in TX?

Your CSO office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB with Fulbright Houston recently. Does anyone know what their turnaround time is like?

Ditto for Fulbright Austin; haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB with Fulbright Houston recently. Does anyone know what their turnaround time is like?

They've started making offers. I've heard less than a week turnaround.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

They've started making offers. I've heard less than a week turnaround.

My turnaround was longer than that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:17 pm

any recent Munsch Hardt Dallas offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All Houston, Texas non-UT:
Ding letters from Porter Hedges (didn't even CB with them) and Bracewell (did CB) on Wednesday.

Phonecall and offer from Skadden today

Called Susman to follow up on CB and they said they've finished all of their CBs and that they're meeting today to decide. Would be calling today or by Monday at the latest.

Did your ding letter from Bracewell Houston come by email or snail maill?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:43 pm

Is this the day for all AK Dallas offers to go out? Saw where one previous post got an AK Dallas offer. any more updates?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:26 pm

Anybody hear anything from Porter Hedges yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:0L here with TX roots. Just curious: around what % must you be at UT to secure a V&E houston CB and offer?

There's no secure for a callback. This is an interview, it is not law school admissions where they look at LSAT and GPA and go okay. You need to ace the interview and make a connection and even then some factors are simply out of your control.

That said V&E does seem to be stricter on grades. Meaning if you are below the top 15-20% getting an offer there will probably be very tough/impossible. But while a high GPA is NECESSARY, it is not SUFFICIENT.

This is false, at least for last year. Was probably around top-40 percent and got offers from V&E as well as the other usual suspects. Went 20/24 for biglaw screeners--->offers at UT OCI. No STEM and no significant work experience.

My grades clearly weren't awful, but it cannot be said often enough that just because 25% or whatever get biglaw does not mean the top 25% get biglaw.

This is the credited response. I was barely above median at UT when I went through OCI (graduated right at top 1/3rd) and accepted a V&E offer - I know several others in my classes and others in a few subsequent classes in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone have any insight on what it generally means if you aren't initially cut after a CB (as some people seem to have been last week). Is this a pretty good sign or does it just mean the firm hasn't made their mind up about you?

I think it depends. Its obviously better than being dinged but worse than getting an offer. I think it varies quite a bit among the firms as to how many people get put on hold and what the chances are of being taken off hold. At our firm, probably only about 10-15% of people get an offer from the hold list. However, if you do get put on a hold, I wouldn't take offense to it (sometimes our favorite candidates get put on hold simply because of grades, and since grades aren't a factor at the end of the summer when full time offers are being given out, the fact that you had lower grades and were on hold won't be held against you).

Not to derail, but do you know if firms tend to look primarily at 1L as a whole, or would a significant drop between first and second semester be a major factor in putting someone on hold? Lets say someone had a fantastic first semester (>top5%) and a relatively horrible second semester (say around 40%) bringing overall to top 10%?

Firms mostly look at 1L as a whole - although usually the candidate gets the benefit of the doubt. For the person you mentioned, my guess is the firms would probably just consider them top 10%. But let's say a firm's cutoff was top 10% and the person was top 11% after an incredible performance in the spring semester - I think that person may get bumped up. I think a lot of firms are willing to discount the first semester a bit (especially if you had a major that wouldn't have prepared you well for law school exams) if you show a marked improvement in the second semester. It wouldn't hurt to point out this improvement to the firms too and perhaps even to discuss it in your cb interview.

I know that my firm considers it a negative if you have a significant drop from first semester-1L to second semester-1L, and dings people for it.
The reverse is true as well - some people who don't technically meet our grade cutoff get screeners/CBs because of a really strong 2nd semester.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:37 pm

Different poster here, barely above median at UT last OCI. Offers at 5/6 traditional big firms in Houston. I have heard BB and the obviously competitive lit boutiques are the strictest on gpa.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:18 pm

Anyone hear of offers from from HayBoo Houston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear of offers from from HayBoo Houston?

Yes. One person from my school has an offer. Non-UT

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:38 pm

AK Houston offer, non-ut

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:48 pm

AK Dallas offers update?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:AK Dallas offers update?

+1. CB several weeks ago.

This is pure conjecture (and wishful thinking), but from what I've seen it seems that second half firms, such as AK, move at a slower pace. They are not (technically) competing with the other 90% of firms with first half only programs, so they have more liberty to extend offers slowly. With that being said, I may be way off base and could be getting my ding tomorrow.

Return to “Legal Employment”