Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what is the deal with AK Dallas offers? Are they still handing out offers?

My guess is that they made a few offers and are waiting to hear back before making more offers. Only speculation, though, as there is only one poster who has an AK (Dallas) offer.

Any recent movement with AK (Dallas)?

I haven't heard anything. the wait is killing me

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got an email Bracewell (Houston) ding and an offer from Strasburger today. UT OCI.

When did you have your CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from V&E-Houston today? Interviewed late last week, was told recruiting meets on Wednesdays.

I don't go to UT but had a CB with them about three weeks ago and still haven't heard back. Obviously I doubt that's a great sign but I'd still point out - even no rejection after multiple weeks means they aren't moving very quickly. So don't go nuts if it takes them awhile to get back to you (but do post here if they do so that I know they like you better than me).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:04 am

I heard back a week after. I think if you haven't heard back, they probably have you on a waitlist. I'm going to accept my offer though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:56 am

FJ-Dallas offer. Non-UT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:FJ-Dallas offer. Non-UT.

How long ago was your CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:58 pm

anyone heard about offers from BB Austin?

As for AK Dallas, I think the recruiting committee meets on Fridays so maybe there will be some more movement tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can't speak for JW, but HayBoo Dallas is a pretty special place. Their offer rate this summer was also much, much higher than what NALP reflects for the previous year (seems to be the opposite of most Texas firms in that regard).

Would you or someone else be willing to elaborate on HayBoo's offer rate? I've heard it was higher this summer. Do they intend to keep it that high in the future?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can't speak for JW, but HayBoo Dallas is a pretty special place. Their offer rate this summer was also much, much higher than what NALP reflects for the previous year (seems to be the opposite of most Texas firms in that regard).

Would you or someone else be willing to elaborate on HayBoo's offer rate? I've heard it was higher this summer. Do they intend to keep it that high in the future?

A number of associates (separately) told me the stories behind the no offers for the Dallas office. Pretty hilarious stuff. I doubt most normal people have to worry about getting no-offered.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

A number of associates (separately) told me the stories behind the no offers for the Dallas office. Pretty hilarious stuff. I doubt most normal people have to worry about getting no-offered.

Agreed - people who do good work (without plagiarizing!) and can carry on a basic conversation have nothing to worry about.

This summer, HB had a large class (almost 30 2L's) and still had a mid-90's offer rate, and I hear they are looking to reduce the class size for next summer slightly (low 20's) to be able to have the same high offer rate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Last Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:45 pm

Akin Gump Houston callbacks/offers? UT

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Last Friday.

I had an interview last Friday and haven't heard anything...not looking good

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Akin Gump Houston callbacks/offers? UT

Received a CB a few weeks ago and it just recently took place. I believe that the last set of CBs is the end of next week. Was told that no offers would be made until all CBs were finished. (But who knows if it will really work out that way.)
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Has anyone had a ding from LL Dallas post-CB yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:55 pm

V&E Houston offer today - interviewed last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:27 pm

Any Munsch Hardt Dallas movement out there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:53 am

0L here with TX roots. Just curious: around what % must you be at UT to secure a V&E houston CB and offer?

woolleymammoth

Postby woolleymammoth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:0L here with TX roots. Just curious: around what % must you be at UT to secure a V&E houston CB and offer?

approximately being in the top 12% makes you V&E secure. Compared with Baker Botts (only need top 13%) and F&J (only need top 15%).

If you get dinged by V&E and yo're in the top 12%, kindly remind the recruiting committee of your rank and the whole matter should get cleared up relatively quickly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:0L here with TX roots. Just curious: around what % must you be at UT to secure a V&E houston CB and offer?

There is no such thing as "secure" for a call back. I'm sure there are few very high % (10% or higher) people who did not get a call back. Grades and rank alone, anywhere, will never get "guarantee" someone an interview, a call back or a summer offer.

Don't take it the wrong way the rank and grades will always help but it is not the only thing. Fitting the personality of the firm is always big; do you look the part; are you interested in practice areas that the firm is looking for. If you want to increase your chances you need to start talking to Partners now and all through 1L year.

This board is full of tragic stories of top %ers at top law schools who thought they were a shoe-in for a particular firm, but didn't even get an interview. And some who didn't even come away with a summer offer.

It's not the late 90s or early 2000s anymore--there are no more guarantees.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:31 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=189981

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:09 pm

All Houston, Texas non-UT:
Ding letters from Porter Hedges (didn't even CB with them) and Bracewell (did CB) on Wednesday.

Phonecall and offer from Skadden today

Called Susman to follow up on CB and they said they've finished all of their CBs and that they're meeting today to decide. Would be calling today or by Monday at the latest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:All Houston, Texas non-UT:
Ding letters from Porter Hedges (didn't even CB with them) and Bracewell (did CB) on Wednesday.

Phonecall and offer from Skadden today

Called Susman to follow up on CB and they said they've finished all of their CBs and that they're meeting today to decide. Would be calling today or by Monday at the latest.

To the 0L that posted in here. This is exactly why no GPA is sufficient to secure anything. Obviously, this poster had great grades to get an offer from Skadden, but got dinged from Porter Hedges, a mid-sized local firm. Perfect example.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:19 pm

K&L Gates Dallas CB yesterday. They said that some would hear back as early as this afternoon. Any news?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:39 pm

Any recent BG Houston offers? CB on Monday. Haven't heard anything.

Return to “Legal Employment”