Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nonprofit-prophet

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to jump in, but I have a handful of Texas firms that I would prefer to work at (since I want to do corporate and avoid litigation).

I am a Texan at UT. Is it acceptable to apply for both the Dallas and Houston offices of a firm like Akin Gump, Andrews Kurth, or Weil -- and let them know in both cover letters that you are doing so and why?

Like I said, I am from Texas, but I do not have ties to either Dallas or Houston (or, to the extent I do, they are more-or-less equal). I am more concerned about the work and the firm rather than the city. Am I shooting myself in the foot given the Dallas-Houston rivalry?

EDIT: I am not applying to both Weil offices since the Houston office is rather weak. But the point still stands. Consider Locke Lord, Jones Day, et. al. I am applying to the Dallas and Houston offices of multiple firms.

Excerpt: "I am a native Texan from XXX, TX, a town near XX, TX (an east Texas town nearly equidistant from both Dallas and Houston; think Nagadoches). I am applying for both your Dallas and Houston offices because I want to do transactional work, and according to NALP, both your Dallas and Houston offices have a significant corporate practice. Since Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld is one of the top firms in Texas for transactional work, I want to maximize my chances of getting an interview with one of your offices by applying to both. Given my [overseas living and language skills, noted on resume] background, I would be willing to split my summer between one of your Texas offices and your [significant Asian office]."

Hard to give advice without knowing your grades. If your grades are good, I think the risk from not committing to a city is unnecessary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:06 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sorry to jump in, but I have a handful of Texas firms that I would prefer to work at (since I want to do corporate and avoid litigation).

I am a Texan at UT. Is it acceptable to apply for both the Dallas and Houston offices of a firm like Akin Gump, Andrews Kurth, or Weil -- and let them know in both cover letters that you are doing so and why?

Like I said, I am from Texas, but I do not have ties to either Dallas or Houston (or, to the extent I do, they are more-or-less equal). I am more concerned about the work and the firm rather than the city. Am I shooting myself in the foot given the Dallas-Houston rivalry?

EDIT: I am not applying to both Weil offices since the Houston office is rather weak. But the point still stands. Consider Locke Lord, Jones Day, et. al. I am applying to the Dallas and Houston offices of multiple firms.

Excerpt: "I am a native Texan from XXX, TX, a town near XX, TX (an east Texas town nearly equidistant from both Dallas and Houston; think Nagadoches). I am applying for both your Dallas and Houston offices because I want to do transactional work, and according to NALP, both your Dallas and Houston offices have a significant corporate practice. Since Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld is one of the top firms in Texas for transactional work, I want to maximize my chances of getting an interview with one of your offices by applying to both. Given my [overseas living and language skills, noted on resume] background, I would be willing to split my summer between one of your Texas offices and your [significant Asian office]."

Hard to give advice without knowing your grades. If your grades are good, I think the risk from not committing to a city is unnecessary.

3.67 / Texas Law Review.

I am the same person with the other anon thread with the bid list. As far as I am concerned, I think Dallas and Houston are basically indistinguishable. I don't have a particularly compelling reason to be at one or the other. The firm is more important than the city.

By the way, I hope firms wouldn't think I am a flight risk of going back to east Texas. Everyone in Texas knows east Texas is a sh*thole. So why would they care?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:40 am

From what I remember, it's not a great strategy to hedge like this. I'm almost positive it's a better idea just to pick one market and focus on it. Visit it and be ready to talk about how awesome it is and why you'd want to live there. You risk destroying your credibility about wanting to work in one city by applying for both offices.

Regardless, don't tell firms in your cover letter that you're applying to both in order to maximize your chances at getting interviews. They know why people do it, and they don't care. They just want people they think it'll be worth their while to train because they won't bolt. And I'd watch the "I'd be willing to work in Asia" bit -- sounds entitled. Focus on what you bring to the firm and why you're a good fit, not what they can give you.

Since you're anonymous, what are your grades/journals?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

3.67 / Texas Law Review.

I am the same person with the other anon thread with the bid list. As far as I am concerned, I think Dallas and Houston are basically indistinguishable. I don't have a particularly compelling reason to be at one or the other. The firm is more important than the city.

By the way, I hope firms wouldn't think I am a flight risk of going back to east Texas. Everyone in Texas knows east Texas is a sh*thole. So why would they care?

I don't think it's a problem to go for both offices, but you might be shooting yourself in the foot with your approach. Instead of telling firms you don't care about the city, tell firms why you would love to work in that particular city (and then be completely honest about why you would love to work in the other city as well).

I'm at UT and I interviewed with offices in Dallas, Austin, and Houston. I was very up front with the fact that I would love to live in all three cities. When I interviewed with Dallas firms I added that I preferred Dallas the most of the three. I'm currently splitting between two different firms in Dallas and Houston. I actually told one of the big three Texas firms' houston office that I preferred Dallas to Houston, but I would still love to live in Houston for X, Y, and Z reason--I got an offer to their Houston office (and not Dallas office). My strategy ended up making Austin have little chance of success, since they want "Austin all the way" but I wasn't wanting to go Austin or bust.

In your case, you might be in a little more of a dangerous position since you don't seem to have city specific ties to either Dallas or Houston. Did you visit either city a lot growing up? Friends in either city? Desire to work and start a family close (but not too close) to your family in east Texas? Come up with good reasons for why each city is an excellent fit for you--that is much better than telling firms basically "I really don't give a shit about what city I'm in as long as it's better than shitty east texas."

Also, if you really have 0 specific ties to Dallas, your smarter bet is going to be Houston. Houston does not care about ties as much. I have significantly stronger ties to Dallas, but a few Dallas firms grilled me about "Why Dallas?" when that barely came up in all my houston interviews (I said my reasons and then we moved on).

I really don't know much about foreign offices and how competitive their summer programs are (and if they even have them going for most of their offices). I would talk to someone in CSO about this. If a firm has offices in Asia, yet none of these offices actually have a summer program, then your request looks a bit weird. Even if you make this request, you should tell them you would love to work in that particular city and their office overseas, and not either Dallas or Houston and the Asia office.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:3.67 / Texas Law Review.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind about this, in which case good luck. You'll get plenty of interviews with those credentials.

But keep in mind the firms aren't concerned with your running back to East Texas. They're concerned about your viewing the major markets as interchangeable. So if you go to Akin Gump Houston and Weil Dallas calls you, Akin Gump wants to assume you'll stay in Houston and not take the first opportunity that comes along elsewhere.

They're going to invest a ton of money in you, and if you don't have a good reason to be in a particular city, you're a flight risk no matter where you're from. I realize your reasoning makes sense in your mind, but think about it from the firm's perspective and try your best (at least outwardly) to align your interests with theirs. I thought the same thing as you last year and ended up getting no Texas offers even with plenty of screeners (though I'm not from Texas). The only city where I got offers was the one where I could convince them that I was going to be around long-term.

granger

Postby granger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:58 am

Texas on Tour selections are up. Has anyone heard from Dechert? Just curious - they were a late add and said they'd email about selections.

njgal

Postby njgal » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:29 am

granger wrote:Texas on Tour selections are up. Has anyone heard from Dechert? Just curious - they were a late add and said they'd email about selections.

I am assuming that because the deadline for them was yesterday, they have to still be looking at resumes and making their selections.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:01 am

philosoraptor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:3.67 / Texas Law Review.

It sounds like you've already made up your mind about this, in which case good luck. You'll get plenty of interviews with those credentials.

But keep in mind the firms aren't concerned with your running back to East Texas. They're concerned about your viewing the major markets as interchangeable. So if you go to Akin Gump Houston and Weil Dallas calls you, Akin Gump wants to assume you'll stay in Houston and not take the first opportunity that comes along elsewhere.

They're going to invest a ton of money in you, and if you don't have a good reason to be in a particular city, you're a flight risk no matter where you're from. I realize your reasoning makes sense in your mind, but think about it from the firm's perspective and try your best (at least outwardly) to align your interests with theirs. I thought the same thing as you last year and ended up getting no Texas offers even with plenty of screeners (though I'm not from Texas). The only city where I got offers was the one where I could convince them that I was going to be around long-term.

So I suppose I'll just focus on one city per firm. Akin Gump (Houston) and Jones Day (Dallas). I can't just focus on one city exclusively because some firms have an overwhelmingly larger transactional practice in one or the other (e.g. Weil in Dallas). What should I do with all my extra bids (I am not applying to any litigation firms)? Throw them down the D.C. black hole?

I am going to the NYC job fair, by the way. I am interviewing with many of the usual suspects in the Texas market. Does this mean I should forget applying to the Texas offices of Baker Botts, Weil, Akin Gump, etc?

I have a sibling and some cousins who live in Dallas. Is this enough? For Houston, I have nothing at all.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So I suppose I'll just focus on one city per firm. Akin Gump (Houston) and Jones Day (Dallas). I can't just focus on one city exclusively because some firms have an overwhelmingly larger transactional practice in one or the other (e.g. Weil in Dallas). What should I do with all my extra bids (I am not applying to any litigation firms)? Throw them down the D.C. black hole?

I am going to the NYC job fair, by the way. I am interviewing with many of the usual suspects in the Texas market. Does this mean I should forget applying to the Texas offices of Baker Botts, Weil, Akin Gump, etc?

I have a sibling and some cousins who live in Dallas. Is this enough? For Houston, I have nothing at all.

You don't really need ties to either TX city if you aren't from the other TX city, if that makes sense (e.g., Dallas would be more weary of someone from Houston with no ties to Dallas). For your extra bids, just bid on both cities, but spread them far enough so that if you get preselected for both, you maximize the chance that only one will show up on your interview schedule. If you happen to get both, it's not the end of the world, but just be able to articulate why you want that office. For Houston, say the energy sector fascinates you. For Dallas, say that's where all your extended family is. You can say either with more conviction when the interviewers don't see you slotted for two offices. Just don't say that you're fine with both and that anything's better than the dump called East Texas.

njgal

Postby njgal » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:49 pm

granger wrote:Texas on Tour selections are up. Has anyone heard from Dechert? Just curious - they were a late add and said they'd email about selections.

The Dechert emails have gone out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:59 pm

[Deleted bidlist]. Zero responses.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:32 pm

Native Houstonian, top 10-20% at MVPB, and waiting on LR results. Planning on mass mailing some of the TX firms that won't be at OCI. Interested in Houston offices w/good litigation practices. I would also consider strong Austin firms, but I have no interest in Dallas at all. I do have some Austin ties and would prefer there over Houston if all else were equal. Am I missing any firms?

Andrews Kurth
Beck Redden
Bracewell Giuliani
Fulbright
Gibbs & Bruns
King Spalding
Mayer Brown
Susman Godfrey (I know it's unlikely as hell, but I figure no harm in trying--actually, same goes for all the boutiques)

Intentionally omitting Baker Botts, Vinson Elkins, Jones Day, Locke Lord, and Hayboo. TYIA!

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Native Houstonian, top 10-20% at MVPB, and waiting on LR results. Planning on mass mailing some of the TX firms that won't be at OCI. Interested in Houston offices w/good litigation practices. I would also consider strong Austin firms, but I have no interest in Dallas at all. I do have some Austin ties and would prefer there over Houston if all else were equal. Am I missing any firms?

Andrews Kurth
Beck Redden
Bracewell Giuliani
Fulbright
Gibbs & Bruns
King Spalding
Mayer Brown
Susman Godfrey (I know it's unlikely as hell, but I figure no harm in trying--actually, same goes for all the boutiques)

Intentionally omitting Baker Botts, Vinson Elkins, Jones Day, Locke Lord, and Hayboo. TYIA!

I haven't looked this up yet but I was under the impression that Andrews Kurth was primarily transactional focused on energy and projects.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Native Houstonian, top 10-20% at MVPB, and waiting on LR results. Planning on mass mailing some of the TX firms that won't be at OCI. Interested in Houston offices w/good litigation practices. I would also consider strong Austin firms, but I have no interest in Dallas at all. I do have some Austin ties and would prefer there over Houston if all else were equal. Am I missing any firms?

Andrews Kurth
Beck Redden
Bracewell Giuliani
Fulbright
Gibbs & Bruns
King Spalding
Mayer Brown

Are you intentionally omitting some of the biggest Texas firms because they'll be at your OCI or are you doing it for some other reason? Also, you're missing firms, the most obvious being Yetter Coleman.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:46 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Andrews Kurth
Beck Redden
Bracewell Giuliani
Fulbright
Gibbs & Bruns
King Spalding
Mayer Brown

Are you intentionally omitting some of the biggest Texas firms because they'll be at your OCI or are you doing it for some other reason? Also, you're missing firms, the most obvious being Yetter Coleman.

Pretty much--and thanks for the Yetter tip, I don't know how I missed that. I'm basically trying to mail every lit office that pays market or better. Any others that I'm missing?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:50 pm

female, top 25% at UT, good W/E, bidding on Dallas. Is this too risky, considering how small the class sizes are in Dallas? What should my top targets be?

thoughts?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Andrews Kurth
Beck Redden
Bracewell Giuliani
Fulbright
Gibbs & Bruns
King Spalding
Mayer Brown

Pretty much--and thanks for the Yetter tip, I don't know how I missed that. I'm basically trying to mail every lit office that pays market or better. Any others that I'm missing?

I would also consider adding AZA (Ahmed Zavitsanos and Anaipakos). I have heard good things but dont know a lot about lit boutiques.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:female, top 25% at UT, good W/E, bidding on Dallas. Is this too risky, considering how small the class sizes are in Dallas? What should my top targets be?

thoughts?
Do you have a journal? Ties? Reason(s) for wanting to work in Dallas? Interest in specific practices? Bid on a range of firms (especially those with the larger class sizes -- check NALP) and you'll probably get some good screeners.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:04 am

philosoraptor wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:female, top 25% at UT, good W/E, bidding on Dallas. Is this too risky, considering how small the class sizes are in Dallas? What should my top targets be?

thoughts?
Do you have a journal? Ties? Reason(s) for wanting to work in Dallas? Interest in specific practices? Bid on a range of firms (especially those with the larger class sizes -- check NALP) and you'll probably get some good screeners.

I'm on one of TROL/TILJ, Texas native (not dallas or houston), and an interest in litigation. Would my best bet be haynes and boone? All the class sizes seem pretty small.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:

thoughts?

I'm on one of TROL/TILJ, Texas native (not dallas or houston), and an interest in litigation. Would my best bet be haynes and boone? All the class sizes seem pretty small.

Your grades are sufficient for most of the firms in Dallas, but you're not a lock anywhere. Definitely hit up HB, TK and LL (probably the largest classes in Dallas), but also Big 3 and the not-as-selective national satellites (Jones Day, Akin Gump, Patton Boggs, etc). You'll probably get preselected at most of these places, but maybe place Big 3 near the top if that's what you want since HB, TK and LL seem like safer bets for preselects.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:

thoughts?

Your grades are sufficient for most of the firms in Dallas, but you're not a lock anywhere. Definitely hit up HB, TK and LL (probably the largest classes in Dallas), but also Big 3 and the not-as-selective national satellites (Jones Day, Akin Gump, Patton Boggs, etc). You'll probably get preselected at most of these places, but maybe place Big 3 near the top if that's what you want since HB, TK and LL seem like safer bets for preselects.

So with top 25% grades, how does this look for Dallas?

1. Fulbright (Dallas)
2. Akin Gump (Dallas)
3. Jones Day (Dallas)
4. Haynes & Boone (Dallas)
5. Locke Lord (Dallas)
6. Thompson Knight (Dallas)
7. K&L Gates (Dallas)
8. Andrews Kurth(Dallas)
9. Vinson & Elkins (Dallas)
10. Baker Botts (Dallas)

I put VE and BB at the bottom, because I thought I had more of a chance at getting jobs at places like JD and HB, so I wanted to make sure I was a lock for an interview by placing them high up on the list.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:39 pm

McKool Smith also meets your criteria (Austin/Lit/Market).

1. Fulbright (Dallas)
2. Akin Gump (Dallas)
3. Jones Day (Dallas)
5. Locke Lord (Dallas)
7. K&L Gates (Dallas)
8. Andrews Kurth(Dallas)
10. Baker Botts (Dallas)

I put VE and BB at the bottom, because I thought I had more of a chance at getting jobs at places like JD and HB, so I wanted to make sure I was a lock for an interview by placing them high up on the list.

You are right in thinking you are probably out at VE/BB. Otherwise list looks like a fine top 10. But you need to be bidding far more than 10 firms (not clear from your post) because you are not a lock at any of these places.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

1. Fulbright (Dallas)
2. Akin Gump (Dallas)
3. Jones Day (Dallas)
5. Locke Lord (Dallas)
7. K&L Gates (Dallas)
8. Andrews Kurth(Dallas)
10. Baker Botts (Dallas)

You are right in thinking you are probably out at VE/BB. Otherwise list looks like a fine top 10. But you need to be bidding far more than 10 firms (not clear from your post) because you are not a lock at any of these places.

Yea Im bidding way more, but i just posted what I thought the lottery would cover.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

1. Fulbright (Dallas)
2. Akin Gump (Dallas)
3. Jones Day (Dallas)
5. Locke Lord (Dallas)
7. K&L Gates (Dallas)
8. Andrews Kurth(Dallas)
10. Baker Botts (Dallas)

+1, and if you're ok with houston, definitely bid there too since top 25% (and a decent interview) is likely to get at least one of the Big3

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:55 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1. Fulbright (Dallas)
2. Akin Gump (Dallas)
3. Jones Day (Dallas)
5. Locke Lord (Dallas)
7. K&L Gates (Dallas)
8. Andrews Kurth(Dallas)
10. Baker Botts (Dallas)

+1, and if you're ok with houston, definitely bid there too since top 25% (and a decent interview) is likely to get at least one of the Big3

Thanks. My S/O and I want to be in dallas, but I'm using a few bids on back ups in houston. Would bracewell houston be a good safety, or do i need to go lower for a safety?

Return to “Legal Employment”