Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Anyone know anything about the culture of HB (Dallas or Fort Worth)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:11 pm

f0bolous wrote: I think the decision is a bit more nuanced than that and totally depends on your desired exit options. In-state or making partner? probably better to stick with a TX firm. If your goal is to maximize pay in a shorter amount of time or for out-of-state lateral opps, then the national satellite is prob the better bet.
I would tend to agree- but K&L doesn't pay any more than any Texas firm (and likely less). Its a Pennsylvania firm, after all. They were one of the firms that cut first year pay to 145k a couple years ago while all BigTex firms stayed at 160.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know anything about the culture of HB (Dallas or Fort Worth)?
Don't know much about FW, but I had a friend who clerked at HB Dallas in Summer 2011 and really loved it. I also know it has a great reputation around town.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:46 pm

All of the following are Houston offices. I called back with all of them and haven't heard back (yay no dings! boo no offers!):

Bracewell
Skadden
Susman
Weil

Got an offer from Locke Lord Houston last night.

I would commit some terrible acts for an offer from Susman. I don't mind saying.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:59 pm

If we're talking about K&L Gates, I don't think the decision is a close one at all. K&L's corporate group is dead. JW is not known for their corporate work. TK has a great culture and has strong oil & gas and real estate practices. TK's corporate group is a little weak but better than the other two I would think.[/quote]
What exactly is JW known for? Lit? Also, they seem to have a great culture and got a good vibe when I had my CB.
[/quote]

Take this as you will from someone who didn't get even an OCI interview (although I was very surprised because I got some bigger interviews and even bigger offers), but I did go to a recruiting reception. This is as it was put to me from some associates--Think "big" law but for the state of Texas. They have a lot of good old boy clients, take on a lot of the national firms (that are based in Texas--FB and VE) left overs. However, they are quick to tell you they have Oprah and Dr. Phil as clients, had 2 Assocs. and 2 Partners tell me that.

I'll say this, I was disappointed to not have gotten an interview because they have a large variety of practices, big in the Texas oil and I thought they had great culture and they pay $160. If you want energy work, I don't think you will be disappointed and you'll do just as much litigation as anyone else in the state. Hell it could be worse you could be in say... Iowa!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I would commit some terrible acts for an offer from Susman. I don't mind saying.

granger

Bronze

Post by granger » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:06 pm

mhmmmm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
You and me both. They said they'll make offers only after all CBs have been done. The waiting is gonna suck.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:15 pm

Offer from SettlePou

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:16 pm

Have any offers for Munsch Hardt Dallas gone out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Have any offers for Munsch Hardt Dallas gone out?
Had a callback with them a 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Have any offers for Munsch Hardt Dallas gone out?
Had a callback with them a 2 weeks ago and haven't heard
yet.
Had mine a little over a week ago and haven't heard anything either. Did they give you a timeframe? I really liked them a lot.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:37 pm

I had my call back the week of on campus interviews and they told me 2-3 weeks. Are all the firms moving slow? Has anyone heard about from Gardere, Looper Reed, or Thompson Coe?

When are we supposed to give up hope on all these?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:what is the deal with AK Dallas offers? Are they still handing out offers?
My guess is that they made a few offers and are waiting to hear back before making more offers. Only speculation, though, as there is only one poster who has an AK (Dallas) offer.
Any recent movement with AK (Dallas)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Friend just got a BB Houston offer. UT, interviewed last week.
Good luck to him. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy...

Explain? What are BB houston impressions?

Also what are FJ Houston Impressions? Interested in Transactional work
BB: miserable place to work - everyone leaves when they get the chance. Very very uptight/stuffy atmospher. Diversity associates especially don't like it.

FJ: better - but little focus on transactional work.
I am SO glad that I wasn't the only one who felt this way about BB Houston. Everyone I met with seemed miserable! I did 8 CBs in NYC, which has a reputation for "miserableness", and did not find any firm there with associates as miserable as BB.
Also, I found the BB partners incredibly hard to connect with on a personal level whereas at V&E/AK/B&G/Latham at least they could carry on a freakin conversation like a normal person. I mean, I did not even like the attorneys at LL H-town but at least they knew how to shoot the shiz and waste the remaining time when the resume questioning ended

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I am SO glad that I wasn't the only one who felt this way about BB Houston. Everyone I met with seemed miserable! I did 8 CBs in NYC, which has a reputation for "miserableness", and did not find any firm there with associates as miserable as BB.
Also, I found the BB partners incredibly hard to connect with on a personal level whereas at V&E/AK/B&G/Latham at least they could carry on a freakin conversation like a normal person. I mean, I did not even like the attorneys at LL H-town but at least they knew how to shoot the shiz and waste the remaining time when the resume questioning ended
I've honestly met very very few people who actually chose to go to BB when they've had other options at top Houston firms. If I was an associate there, I would feel bad even trying to recruit others to come to the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:02 pm

Has anyone who interviewed with bracewell or FJ Houston last week heard back yet??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Any offers from King & Spalding, Patton Boggs, or Haynes & Boone (Dallas) for UT kids yet?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from King & Spalding, Patton Boggs, or Haynes & Boone (Dallas) for UT kids yet?
I know of at least 2 non-Fast Track UT kids with HB Dallas offers...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any offers from King & Spalding, Patton Boggs, or Haynes & Boone (Dallas) for UT kids yet?

Know when they had their CBs/got their offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Know when they had their CBs/got their offers?
Not sure - I think CB's a couple weeks ago and offers last week

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I am SO glad that I wasn't the only one who felt this way about BB Houston. Everyone I met with seemed miserable! I did 8 CBs in NYC, which has a reputation for "miserableness", and did not find any firm there with associates as miserable as BB.
I've honestly met very very few people who actually chose to go to BB when they've had other options at top Houston firms. If I was an associate there, I would feel bad even trying to recruit others to come to the firm.
absolutely. It's weird because when I was approaching OCI that was one of my top 2 choices prior to visiting. After my callback though, there is no way in heck I could see myself working there. Sad because they were the only firm I got a quick offer (<2 days turnaround) from

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
absolutely. It's weird because when I was approaching OCI that was one of my top 2 choices prior to visiting. After my callback though, there is no way in heck I could see myself working there. Sad because they were the only firm I got a quick offer (<2 days turnaround) from
+1... but they're really good for bargaining with other firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 pm

JW Austin offer to UT student. CB 2 weeks ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:01 pm

Anyone hear from V&E-Houston today? Interviewed late last week, was told recruiting meets on Wednesdays.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”