Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
nonprofit-prophet

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:57 pm

f0bolous wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:honestly Im not concerned about jobs out of LS. I've basically already been told I'll get an offer from one of the big 3 firms (can't reveal which one). I also have an offer from a non-big 3 firm. My first job out of either school will likely be the same firm. Really it's about money and exit options if I don't make partner.

in that case, H for sure. H will open more doors than any school down the road, and it's cheaper to boot.

long-term significant other and dog are in Austin. I'm trying to figure out if saving 40k and possible bump in exit options (still haven't figured out if it really would boost exit options in TX) are worth being away from them for 2 years.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:03 pm

Perseus_I wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
philosoraptor wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:How do you think texas firms would react to a harvard student that transferred from UT? Do I reduce my chances of getting an offer if I'm leaving the school that most of the interviewers went to?
Why on earth would you leave UT if you wanted to stay in Texas and got good enough grades to transfer to Harvard? If you have the grades and are on a good journal, you can go anywhere regardless. I'm sure transferring wouldn't kill your chances, but it seems like an awful lot of hassle for the same result. The only really good reason I can think of is if you're sure you want academia.

Harvard would be at least 40k cheaper than UT. That's really the only reason I'm considering it.

Unless you can get UT to give you a full ride, I have no idea why you would ever even consider staying at UT. UT on a full ride vs. sticker at CCN is a legitimate tossup. But this should be no contest. Also, some Texas firms will scarcely look at UT grads who aren't truly at the top (Gibson Dunn, Susman Godfrey, Vinson & Elkins, etc.); they do much of their hiring from the ivy league anyway. If I were you, I would transfer and then only bid on the elite Texas firms. If you are from Texas, it shouldn't be a problem; just explain the financial calculations. If you're not from Texas, you might have some issues.

FYI, I did several firm interviews during 1L, and none of the interviewers had gone to UT or even to schools in Texas (everything was represented -- from Stanford to Tulane).
A lot of this seems misleading. GDC is not a native Texas firm. The big Texas firms (V&E, BB, Fulbright, etc.), plus the more regional ones like Bracewell, Locke Lord, etc., take a ton of people from UT, not all from the tippy-top of the class or on TLR. In any case, if OP had the grades to transfer to Harvard, he could definitely get a big Texas firm. Susman is in its own category. In most of my OCI screeners last year, one or both of the interviewers were from UT or another Texas school, even the ones from New York or D.C. offices.

But I agree with the broader point: If you can save $40K by going to Harvard, definitely do it, especially if you can bring your family. I had been assuming UT would have been way less expensive.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:08 pm

Yea, unfortunately the family has to stay in austin. It would be just me in cambridge. I'm leaning towards staying at UT. Am I crazy to pay more for UT?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:13 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Yea, unfortunately the family has to stay in austin. It would be just me in cambridge. I'm leaning towards staying at UT. Am I crazy to pay more for UT?

a little, but totally understandable. usually when it's a UT v H debate, it's before 1L begins when someone is faced with the risk of striking out. however, at this point, there is no more risk for you, so taking UT isn't really that unreasonable.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:18 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Yea, unfortunately the family has to stay in austin. It would be just me in cambridge. I'm leaning towards staying at UT. Am I crazy to pay more for UT?
Sorry man, this is a really tough call. Why would Harvard cost so much less? Would you be staying with family in Cambridge? Have you asked UT about getting you a (bigger) scholarship? Have you applied to get in-state tuition if you don't already have it? Is your forthcoming Big 3 offer in Austin?

I agree with f0b in that if you already know you're getting something this summer, especially if it's in Austin, you're not that crazy to pay more for UT.

sn20

Postby sn20 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:31 pm

Have you told UT you're considering leaving/asked them for money?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:32 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
Sorry man, this is a really tough call. Why would Harvard cost so much less? Would you be staying with family in Cambridge? Have you asked UT about getting you a (bigger) scholarship? Have you applied to get in-state tuition if you don't already have it? Is your forthcoming Big 3 offer in Austin?

I agree with f0b in that if you already know you're getting something this summer, especially if it's in Austin, you're not that crazy to pay more for UT.

I'm paying close to sticker at UT and I would qualify for need-based grants at harvard. Unfortunately, UT declined to give me additional aid after I told them about Harvard. They also said they wouldn't give me in-state tuition. At the risk of completely outing myself here, my fiancee is in LS too, and we're both looking to work in Dallas. Have a few things cooking up there already.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:44 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:I'm paying close to sticker at UT and I would qualify for need-based grants at harvard. Unfortunately, UT declined to give me additional aid after I told them about Harvard. They also said they wouldn't give me in-state tuition. At the risk of completely outing myself here, my fiancee is in LS too, and we're both looking to work in Dallas. Have a few things cooking up there already.
Knowing this, I definitely vote stay. Being in a similar situation, I recognize that it's going to be tough for the marriage early on if you're both busy, ambitious attorneys. Enjoy law school with her while you can without putting the relationship through the incredible strain of being away 16 of the next 24 months. With >$160K in Texas, it won't be that big a deal to pay back the extra loans.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:19 pm

Updated bid list. Top 10% at UT. Hoping for NY, LA, or Austin, but bidding Dallas as a "backup" since I'm from there.

1. Andrews Kurth (Austin)
2. Pirkey Barber (Austin)
3. Lloyd Gosselink (Austin)
4. Baker Botts (Austin)
5. Locke Lord (Austin)
6. Bracewell & Giuliani (Austin)
7. Vinson and Elkins (Austin/Dallas)
8. Fulbright & Jaworski (Austin/Dallas)
9. MoFo (SF/LA)
10. Simpson Thatcher (NY)
11. Latham (LA)
12. Gibson Dunn (LA)
13. Jones Day (NY)
14. Sull Crom (NY)
15. Gibson Dunn (NY/Dallas)
16. Haynes and Boone (Dallas)
17. Andrews Kurth (Dallas)
18. Baker Botts (Dallas)
19. Thompson and Knight (Dallas)
20. Jones Day (Dallas)
21. Gardere (Dallas)
22. Locke Lord (Dallas)
23. Winstead (Dallas)
24. Carrington (Dallas)
25. Munsch Hardt (Dallas)
26. Weil (Dallas)
27. Akin Gump (Dallas)
28. K&L Gates (Dallas)
29. Strasburger (Dallas)
30. Bracewell (Dallas)
31. Baker & McKenzie (Dallas)

I'm also doing the NY job fair and will mass mail some LA and NY firms that aren't coming. Tips/advice? Not sure if I want lit or transactional yet, open to both and (i think) i can come up w/ a decent reason why I like each...

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Updated bid list. Top 10% at UT. Hoping for NY, LA, or Austin, but bidding Dallas as a "backup" since I'm from there.

4. Baker Botts (Austin)
5. Locke Lord (Austin)
9. MoFo (SF/LA)
11. Latham (LA)
12. Gibson Dunn (LA)
13. Jones Day (NY)
14. Sull Crom (NY)
18. Baker Botts (Dallas)
20. Jones Day (Dallas)
21. Gardere (Dallas)
22. Locke Lord (Dallas)
23. Winstead (Dallas)
24. Carrington (Dallas)
26. Weil (Dallas)
27. Akin Gump (Dallas)
28. K&L Gates (Dallas)
29. Strasburger (Dallas)
30. Bracewell (Dallas)

I'm also doing the NY job fair and will mass mail some LA and NY firms that aren't coming. Tips/advice? Not sure if I want lit or transactional yet, open to both and (i think) i can come up w/ a decent reason why I like each...

looks like a good list. a little surprised why for dallas you're including non-market paying firms but excluding market paying ones

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:44 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Updated bid list. Top 10% at UT. Hoping for NY, LA, or Austin, but bidding Dallas as a "backup" since I'm from there.

4. Baker Botts (Austin)
5. Locke Lord (Austin)
9. MoFo (SF/LA)
11. Latham (LA)
12. Gibson Dunn (LA)
13. Jones Day (NY)
14. Sull Crom (NY)
18. Baker Botts (Dallas)
20. Jones Day (Dallas)
21. Gardere (Dallas)
22. Locke Lord (Dallas)
23. Winstead (Dallas)
24. Carrington (Dallas)
26. Weil (Dallas)
27. Akin Gump (Dallas)
28. K&L Gates (Dallas)
29. Strasburger (Dallas)
30. Bracewell (Dallas)

looks like a good list. a little surprised why for dallas you're including non-market paying firms but excluding market paying ones

I just sorta bid on firms that were interesting to me. Some of them I have personal reasons for bidding (Munsch Hardt, Carrington, Winstead) but other ones I just sorta threw on there (Strasburger). Off the top of your head, what are some of the market paying ones I'm leaving off?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

4. Baker Botts (Austin)
5. Locke Lord (Austin)
9. MoFo (SF/LA)
11. Latham (LA)
12. Gibson Dunn (LA)
13. Jones Day (NY)
14. Sull Crom (NY)
18. Baker Botts (Dallas)
20. Jones Day (Dallas)
21. Gardere (Dallas)
22. Locke Lord (Dallas)
23. Winstead (Dallas)
24. Carrington (Dallas)
26. Weil (Dallas)
27. Akin Gump (Dallas)
28. K&L Gates (Dallas)
29. Strasburger (Dallas)
30. Bracewell (Dallas)

I just sorta bid on firms that were interesting to me. Some of them I have personal reasons for bidding (Munsch Hardt, Carrington, Winstead) but other ones I just sorta threw on there (Strasburger). Off the top of your head, what are some of the market paying ones I'm leaving off?

Patton Boggs-DAL, Alston-DAL, there might be some more

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:16 pm

^^cool, I'll add those in my top 30. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Perseus_I wrote:Unless you can get UT to give you a full ride, I have no idea why you would ever even consider staying at UT. UT on a full ride vs. sticker at CCN is a legitimate tossup. But this should be no contest. Also, some Texas firms will scarcely look at UT grads who aren't truly at the top (Gibson Dunn, Susman Godfrey, Vinson & Elkins, etc.); they do much of their hiring from the ivy league anyway. If I were you, I would transfer and then only bid on the elite Texas firms. If you are from Texas, it shouldn't be a problem; just explain the financial calculations. If you're not from Texas, you might have some issues.

FYI, I did several firm interviews during 1L, and none of the interviewers had gone to UT or even to schools in Texas (everything was represented -- from Stanford to Tulane).

The bolded portion is slightly off.

Based on conversations with members of the recruiting committee at my firm, I am convinced that school prestige is a minor factor once you get to the callback stage. With the exception of Susman, if a firm finds two candidates it really likes, one from HYS and one from the local regional school, the firm will make offers to both students.

The transfer to Harvard isn't going to be a game changer in terms of job prospects for the student in question. She already meets the basic requirements for all three of the firms you mentioned. For that specific student, it's all about interview ability and personality.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Unless you can get UT to give you a full ride, I have no idea why you would ever even consider staying at UT. UT on a full ride vs. sticker at CCN is a legitimate tossup. But this should be no contest. Also, some Texas firms will scarcely look at UT grads who aren't truly at the top (Gibson Dunn, Susman Godfrey, Vinson & Elkins, etc.); they do much of their hiring from the ivy league anyway. If I were you, I would transfer and then only bid on the elite Texas firms. If you are from Texas, it shouldn't be a problem; just explain the financial calculations. If you're not from Texas, you might have some issues.

The bolded portion is slightly off.

Based on conversations with members of the recruiting committee at my firm, I am convinced that school prestige is a minor factor once you get to the callback stage. With the exception of Susman, if a firm finds two candidates it really likes, one from HYS and one from the local regional school, the firm will make offers to both students.

The transfer to Harvard isn't going to be a game changer in terms of job prospects for the student in question. She already meets the basic requirements for all three of the firms you mentioned. For that specific student, it's all about interview ability and personality.

thanks for the insight. Also, i'm a dude.

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Perseus is totally wrong, fyi. VE, alone, brags that they get at least a third of their associates from UT. I happen to know how far into the class Biglaw goes at UT, and it is well beyond top ten percent. Back to the original poster. This is totally a personal decision for you. I am surprised you weren't able to negotiate with UT for $ yet apparently had the grades to transfer to Harvard? That doesn't make sense to me in light of their generous 1L scholarships. In any event, I agree with the poster that suggested you strongly weigh the personal cost of leaving your significant other for two years, not to mention your dog! Good luck.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:43 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Perseus is totally wrong, fyi. VE, alone, brags that they get at least a third of their associates from UT. I happen to know how far into the class Biglaw goes at UT, and it is well beyond top ten percent. Back to the original poster. This is totally a personal decision for you. I am surprised you weren't able to negotiate with UT for $ yet apparently had the grades to transfer to Harvard? That doesn't make sense to me in light of their generous 1L scholarships. In any event, I agree with the poster that suggested you strongly weigh the personal cost of leaving your significant other for two years, not to mention your dog! Good luck.

I wasn't trying to imply that his prospects would improve transferring to Harvard. My point was simply that since the elite TX firms hire a huge portion of their summer associates from the ivy league anyway, transferring couldn't hurt him much if he's from Texas. If I were him, I would do it, just for personal reasons. But npp is not from Texas. Also, he has personal reasons for staying in Texas. So that could change things. I am sure the elite Texas firms have and would give him every consideration if he stays at UT.

I am familiar with one out-of-state firm that only hires UT students on Law Review and regularly hires Chicago, Harvard, and Stanford grads.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:49 pm

formerbiglawpartner wrote:Perseus is totally wrong, fyi. VE, alone, brags that they get at least a third of their associates from UT. I happen to know how far into the class Biglaw goes at UT, and it is well beyond top ten percent. Back to the original poster. This is totally a personal decision for you. I am surprised you weren't able to negotiate with UT for $ yet apparently had the grades to transfer to Harvard? That doesn't make sense to me in light of their generous 1L scholarships. In any event, I agree with the poster that suggested you strongly weigh the personal cost of leaving your significant other for two years, not to mention your dog! Good luck.

I appreciate all the responses this has received. I'm not too concerned about offers out of LS, since I already have one and have been told I have another pretty much locked up going into OCI (both with great firms for which I'd love to work).

But, Formerbiglawpartner, do you have a sense of how a Harvard degree would impact exit options in Texas (assuming I don't have what it takes to make partner)? I'm trying to figure out if there is a long-term disparity between degrees, since there isn't much of a difference in short-term prospects (i.e. first job).

formerbiglawpartner

Postby formerbiglawpartner » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:59 pm

Honestly, if you stay in Texas, your exit options will be more a function of how well you perform in your first job and at which firm you start. (My personal rule of thumb is to start at the best firm that will hire you. You can always go "down" but will get better, more marketable experience at the bigger/better firm. Of course, "fit" is a big issue.) Obviously, I didn't "exit," but those who did typically went in house with an existing client whom they impressed while working for them at the firm. Outside Texas, of course, Harvard would have much more prestige that might linger. I really can't say.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:03 pm

So you have a virtually guaranteed TX Big-3 offer, more offers in the works, and would save $40k by transferring to Harvard? My bag would already be packed. From a long-term employment perspective, there is zero downside and a very large potential upside. If you have an interest in clerking, academia, or fedgov work, the choice gets even easier.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So you have a virtually guaranteed TX Big-3 offer, more offers in the works, and would save $40k by transferring to Harvard? My bag would already be packed. From a long-term employment perspective, there is zero downside and a very large potential upside. If you have an interest in clerking, academia, or fedgov work, the choice gets even easier.

Except the forthcoming divorce after a few too many drinks and a poorly timed butt dial.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So you have a virtually guaranteed TX Big-3 offer, more offers in the works, and would save $40k by transferring to Harvard? My bag would already be packed. From a long-term employment perspective, there is zero downside and a very large potential upside. If you have an interest in clerking, academia, or fedgov work, the choice gets even easier.

Ha yea it does sounds crazy to turn it down. But again, dog and fiancee. I have zero interest in academia or govt work. If I end up doing corporate work, I'll skip clerking. So really I'm just weighing long-term job prospects (assuming theres a difference in TX) against being away from Austin/loved ones.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:20 pm

There are dozens of reasons to choose Harvard over Texas, and they're all rational (including, importantly, the unpredictable nature of life, and the possibility that you may one day wish to work somewhere other than Texas). There is only one reason to choose Texas over Harvard. Which one is correct is obviously your call, and nobody can really help you weigh your personal emotional needs/wants, but you should recognize when you're making potentially life-altering decisions with your heart rather than your head. FWIW, two years of law school fly by. HLS is on the resume forever.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There are dozens of reasons to choose Harvard over Texas, and they're all rational (including, importantly, the unpredictable nature of life, and the possibility that you may one day wish to work somewhere other than Texas). There is only one reason to choose Texas over Harvard. Which one is correct is obviously your call, and nobody can really help you weigh your personal emotional needs/wants, but you should recognize when you're making potentially life-altering decisions with your heart rather than your head. FWIW, two years of law school fly by. HLS is on the resume forever.

There is only really one strong reason going for HLS over UT based on the current facts--and that is it's cheaper. Staying in the same city as your significant other is also a pretty strong reason. This might be just my bias, but I would think that Austin + UT's student culture >> Cambridge and HLS' student culture. I've talked to more harvard law students who hate law school (and view that feeling as pretty normal--it's a necessary evil before getting to work) than UT students who dislike law school. And I know way more UT students. Plus I hate cold weather, but that could just be me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:41 pm

Sorry to jump in, but I have a handful of Texas firms that I would prefer to work at (since I want to do corporate and avoid litigation).

I am a Texan at UT. Is it acceptable to apply for both the Dallas and Houston offices of a firm like Akin Gump, Andrews Kurth, or Weil -- and let them know in both cover letters that you are doing so and why?

Like I said, I am from Texas, but I do not have ties to either Dallas or Houston (or, to the extent I do, they are more-or-less equal). I am more concerned about the work and the firm rather than the city. Am I shooting myself in the foot given the Dallas-Houston rivalry?

EDIT: I am not applying to both Weil offices since the Houston office is rather weak. But the point still stands. Consider Locke Lord, Jones Day, et. al. I am applying to the Dallas and Houston offices of multiple firms.

Excerpt: "I am a native Texan from XXX, TX, a town near XX, TX (an east Texas town nearly equidistant from both Dallas and Houston; think Nagadoches). I am applying for both your Dallas and Houston offices because I want to do transactional work, and according to NALP, both your Dallas and Houston offices have a significant corporate practice. Since Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld is one of the top firms in Texas for transactional work, I want to maximize my chances of getting an interview with one of your offices by applying to both. Given my [overseas living and language skills, noted on resume] background, I would be willing to split my summer between one of your Texas offices and your [significant Asian office]."

Return to “Legal Employment”