Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it a terrible idea to mention that you would be happy working for VE in either Dallas or Houston? Primarily bidding Dallas (Dallas -1 Houston -2 in bid pref) but SA class and growth seems huge in Houston (50 SA's in H vs. 13 in D). Don't want to screw myself out of all chances.


Bad idea to do both for VE. If you want dallas, do dallas. If you are concerned about being borderline, then do Houston. What range is your GPA in?

Edit: I asked about the GPA to help give advice, not to size you up as competition. I've already accepted an offer.


top ~35-40%. Much better ties to Dallas.


I think you're probably out at VE dallas. They are taking a smaller class this year. Better shot at Houston, based on those grades.


I do not agree with this. If you are more interested in VE Dallas, definitely do Dallas.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:03 pm

BB Austin has made some phone calls.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell (Houston) is starting to give out callbacks.


Phone or email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell (Houston) is starting to give out callbacks.


Phone or email?


Phone, follow-up email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell (Houston) is starting to give out callbacks.


Phone or email?


Phone, follow-up email.


Thanks. I haven't heard yet though so I'm probably out. :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:16 pm

CB's from job fairs at Jones Day Dallas, Fulbright Dallas, and Bracewell Houston. Out of state law school, strong TX roots

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:56 pm

I've heard about Fulbright Austin and Dallas as well as Baker Botts Austin callbacks going out today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've heard about Fulbright Austin and Dallas as well as Baker Botts Austin callbacks going out today.


I heard about Fulbright dinner invites from Monday, but did not know calls were still going out. When did the Fulbright calls go out?

Also, I am confirming BB Austin.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've heard about Fulbright Austin and Dallas as well as Baker Botts Austin callbacks going out today.


I heard about Fulbright dinner invites from Monday, but did not know calls were still going out. When did the Fulbright calls go out?

Also, I am confirming BB Austin.


Monday was dinner for Fulbright and the callback calls went out today.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I've heard about Fulbright Austin and Dallas as well as Baker Botts Austin callbacks going out today.


I heard about Fulbright dinner invites from Monday, but did not know calls were still going out. When did the Fulbright calls go out?

Also, I am confirming BB Austin.


Monday was dinner for Fulbright and the callback calls went out today.


Houston as well?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:00 pm

Any word from Locke Lord or Haynes Boone? Interviewed with them on campus last week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:32 pm

The only intel I have-

-Gardere Houston sent out some ding letters and some letters saying "you'll hear back in a few weeks"
-Gardere Dallas callbacks went out
-HayBoo Dallas gave many of their offers before OCI even started to secure the highest GPAS
-LL Dallas callbacks went out and happened already
-Strasburger Dallas callbacks went out and happened already

Also, law review receptions don't really mean anything except free drinks.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:35 pm

Porter Hedges (Houston) CB are out

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The only intel I have-

-Gardere Houston sent out some ding letters and some letters saying "you'll hear back in a few weeks"
-Gardere Dallas callbacks went out
-HayBoo Dallas gave many of their offers before OCI even started to secure the highest GPAS
-LL Dallas callbacks went out and happened already
-Strasburger Dallas callbacks went out and happened already

Also, law review receptions don't really mean anything except free drinks.


For LL I thought that the CB days were the 24th and 29th. Were there other CB days?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:25 pm

Have V&E invites gone out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The only intel I have-

-Gardere Houston sent out some ding letters and some letters saying "you'll hear back in a few weeks"
-Gardere Dallas callbacks went out
-HayBoo Dallas gave many of their offers before OCI even started to secure the highest GPAS
-LL Dallas callbacks went out and happened already
-Strasburger Dallas callbacks went out and happened already

Also, law review receptions don't really mean anything except free drinks.


For LL I thought that the CB days were the 24th and 29th. Were there other CB days?


Come to think of it, the offers that I know of went out to people who were there during 1L summer. I mistakenly assumed that since they had offers, they had already been through callbacks.

Forgot to add in earlier post that Jones Day IP callbacks went out too.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:39 pm

H&B already made some offers.
I know for a fact that at least a minority of BB Austin offers will be made next week. Don't ask how I know.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:39 pm

For UT OCI??

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bracewell (Houston) is starting to give out callbacks.


Phone or email?


Phone, follow-up email.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:41 pm

I was interviewed at the UT OCI today and was told that the decisions were made tonight. Anybody received a response tonight?

Anonymous User wrote:Have V&E invites gone out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was interviewed at the UT OCI today and was told that the decisions were made tonight. Anybody received a response tonight?

Anonymous User wrote:Have V&E invites gone out?


Havent heard yet. Also, anyone heard from fulbright houston dinner?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was interviewed at the UT OCI today and was told that the decisions were made tonight. Anybody received a response tonight?

Anonymous User wrote:Have V&E invites gone out?


Havent heard yet. Also, anyone heard from fulbright houston dinner?


Have heard that V&E, LL (non-H) invites will come out tomorrow.

Can confirm LL Houston and T&K Dallas invites tonight.

Sorry, very unsure about all of this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was interviewed at the UT OCI today and was told that the decisions were made tonight. Anybody received a response tonight?

Anonymous User wrote:Have V&E invites gone out?


Havent heard yet. Also, anyone heard from fulbright houston dinner?


Have heard that V&E, LL (non-H) invites will come out tomorrow.

Can confirm LL Houston and T&K Dallas invites tonight.

Sorry, very unsure about all of this.


VE invites are out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
VE invites are out.


By phone or by email?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
VE invites are out.


By phone or by email?


email

Anonymous User
Posts: 273596
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:53 am

V&E Dallas and V&E Baker Botts CBs from a T-14. Still blows my mind how difficult the Texas market is to crack for non-Texas schools. It's funny, because T-14ers generally don't want to be in Texas, and Texas generally doesn't want people from a T-14, since there aren't any in Texas. A match made in Hell.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.