Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chadwick218

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know callback to offer ratio of Patton Boggs Dallas or Locke lord Houston?

It seems to me that the CB-offer ratio at Locke Lord Houston is on the lower end (but perhaps artificially so). I remember that a few years ago when I went through OCI, Locke Lord offered two or so "meet the firm" interview days. I attended the first one. The second one was scheduled a few weeks later. I remember waiting a couple of weeks only to pull my name out of contention after having accepted offers at two other firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:01 pm

Any news from Fulbright, JW, or AK, all Dallas? How long after a CB can one expect to hear, generally?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Fulbright, JW, or AK, all Dallas? How long after a CB can one expect to hear, generally?

One of the career counselors told me to straight up ask one of these firms (hint: the one with the largest Houston office) tactfully and as part of another conversation.

I was told about a week; however, there was some mention in this thread of students getting an invite to a dinner at Fulbright. I am not sure if that was today or referring to previous years. It would seem strange because I heard Fulbright is coming back to campus tomorrow (Tuesday) to do more interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news from Fulbright, JW, or AK, all Dallas? How long after a CB can one expect to hear, generally?

One of the career counselors told me to straight up ask one of these firms (hint: the one with the largest Houston office) tactfully and as part of another conversation.

I was told about a week; however, there was some mention in this thread of students getting an invite to a dinner at Fulbright. I am not sure if that was today or referring to previous years. It would seem strange because I heard Fulbright is coming back to campus tomorrow (Tuesday) to do more interviews.

I can confirm that there was a Fulbright dinner tonight

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fulbright sent out dinner invitations to some Houston interviewees. Does anybody know about any Austin events?

Former Fulbright SA here. In past years an invitation to this dinner is a very strong indicator you will get a callback. Last year there were some problems with people acting weird at the dinner, but most people got the callback.

So does NOT getting invited to this dinner the night of the interview (at UT) mean that one can safely cross out Fulbright, Houston as a ding?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fulbright sent out dinner invitations to some Houston interviewees. Does anybody know about any Austin events?

Former Fulbright SA here. In past years an invitation to this dinner is a very strong indicator you will get a callback. Last year there were some problems with people acting weird at the dinner, but most people got the callback.

So does NOT getting invited to this dinner the night of the interview (at UT) mean that one can safely cross out Fulbright, Houston as a ding?

Yes, not getting invited is essentially a ding.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can't speak for Fulbright Houston, but that is not true for Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Can't speak for Fulbright Houston, but that is not true for Dallas.

Assuming you have interviewed already with Fulbright, is what he means I think. The dinner was only for those who interviewed already as far as I know. EDIT: also I'm not sure if there's one of these every night?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Assuming you have interviewed already with Fulbright, is what he means I think. The dinner was only for those who interviewed already as far as I know. EDIT: also I'm not sure if there's one of these every night?

Most of the people I talked to said they were driving back/flying back this morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:29 pm

Is it a terrible idea to mention that you would be happy working for VE in either Dallas or Houston? Primarily bidding Dallas (Dallas -1 Houston -2 in bid pref) but SA class and growth seems huge in Houston (50 SA's in H vs. 13 in D). Don't want to screw myself out of all chances.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is it a terrible idea to mention that you would be happy working for VE in either Dallas or Houston? Primarily bidding Dallas (Dallas -1 Houston -2 in bid pref) but SA class and growth seems huge in Houston (50 SA's in H vs. 13 in D). Don't want to screw myself out of all chances.

Bad idea to do both for VE. If you want dallas, do dallas. If you are concerned about being borderline, then do Houston. What range is your GPA in?

Edit: I asked about the GPA to help give advice, not to size you up as competition. I've already accepted an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Did Baker Botts send out the UT dinner invites yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is it a terrible idea to mention that you would be happy working for VE in either Dallas or Houston? Primarily bidding Dallas (Dallas -1 Houston -2 in bid pref) but SA class and growth seems huge in Houston (50 SA's in H vs. 13 in D). Don't want to screw myself out of all chances.

Bad idea to do both for VE. If you want dallas, do dallas. If you are concerned about being borderline, then do Houston. What range is your GPA in?

Edit: I asked about the GPA to help give advice, not to size you up as competition. I've already accepted an offer.

top ~35-40%. Much better ties to Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:11 pm

How long did it take for Haynes & Boone, Thompson & Knight, and Jackson Walker to give callbacks after the screeners? These 3 firms just interviewed at Tech today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

top ~35-40%. Much better ties to Dallas.

I think you're probably out at VE dallas. They are taking a smaller class this year. Better shot at Houston, based on those grades.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Did Baker Botts send out the UT dinner invites yet?

I got mine at 6:10. They certainly waited a while.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Did Baker Botts send out the UT dinner invites yet?

I got mine at 6:10. They certainly waited a while.

Same. I think it had to do whether someone interviewed morning v. afternoon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 am

Any UT students hear anything from Fulbright/LL/JW Austin?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:How long did it take for Haynes & Boone, Thompson & Knight, and Jackson Walker to give callbacks after the screeners? These 3 firms just interviewed at Tech today.

H&B has a dinner on Wednesday. If you didn't get an invite yet, then... yea...

Edit: Ignore what I said. I misread that you are at Tech.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:10 am

Recap for exclusive events I've seen so far at UT OCI:

Fulbright had a dinner/drinks for Houston interviewees (haven't heard about any other offices)
Baker Botts had a dinner for the Houston/Dallas/palo alto/NY offices; invite means you got a CB
Jackson walker had a reception for everyone, though the invite seemed like it came with the interview
Skadden (Houston) had next-day 1-hour callbacks at the four seasons.
Latham gave same-day callbacks for the Houston office
Bracewell had a reception, and certain people were invited to drinks afterward via text or face-to-face
TK/LL/AK/strasburger had general events for all interviewees.

Please, supplement this info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:40 am

Weil had a dinner Monday night for those with callbacks from all their offices.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:48 pm

So Weil has already given all callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Recap for exclusive events I've seen so far at UT OCI:

Fulbright had a dinner/drinks for Houston interviewees (haven't heard about any other offices)
Baker Botts had a dinner for the Houston/Dallas/palo alto/NY offices; invite means you got a CB
Jackson walker had a reception for everyone, though the invite seemed like it came with the interview
Bracewell had a reception, and certain people were invited to drinks afterward via text or face-to-face

Locke Lord will give out callbacks sometime before August 24th (probably today).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:54 pm

Yes, I believe that if you received a callback at Weil, you have been notified.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Recap for exclusive events I've seen so far at UT OCI:

Locke Lord will give out callbacks sometime before August 24th (probably today).

Bracewell (Houston) is starting to give out callbacks.

Return to “Legal Employment”