Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
yellowmellow

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby yellowmellow » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:32 pm

2014utLaw wrote:UT people: log on to symplicity. The number of expected 2L slots column has completely changed, with many of the numbers between 0 and 2. I'm curious if these numbers are the same for everybody.

Or you can just wait until tomorrow at noon and not add fuel to the fire.

I'm more curious as to what they mean and why symplicity says cancellations start on August 7th at noon now

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:35 pm

Can anyone talk about the selectivity of Bracewell, LL and/or Andrews Kurth?

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:37 pm

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:40 pm

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:41 pm

2014utLaw wrote:Which city?

Houston for Andrews Kurth/Bracewell, Houston and Dallas for LL

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Houston and Dallas for LL

Absent WE/URM/IP, ~top 15% + Secondary coming out of UH/SMU; ~top third coming out of UT.

They place a higher value on fit than other firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Absent WE/URM/IP, ~top 15% + Secondary coming out of UH/SMU; ~top third coming out of UT.

What exactly is their fit? I've gotten a good vibe from them when they have visited campus before and either office would be a top choice for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What exactly is their fit? I've gotten a good vibe from them when they have visited campus before and either office would be a top choice for me.

Relaxed and *sort of* fratty w/out being cocky. If you were raised in Texas and can carry on a conversation about high school and college football you'll fit right in.

If you're serious about LL, find out when the respective callback day is at each office. They reserve one day for all callbacks. Do not schedule a callback with another firm on that day b/c, to my knowledge, LL will not make an exception to their callback day.

Be sure to attend the reception they host for law review members if they host one at your school and you are invited. Also, take a good look at Thompson Knight if you like LL.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:53 am

So not exactly a firm, but what do oil companies like Anadarko and Exxon look for? I've heard gpa isn't as important for landmen. Also, I'm on the Texas Journal of Oil Gas and Energy Law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:49 am

Anything else from NY?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:53 am

I have heard of CBs going out from:

Latham
Skadden
Weil
Milbank
Cleary
S&C
Ropes
Cravath
Dechert

Don't know about any of the others

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:47 pm

Can anyone give me a recommendation or even just tell me that I'm crazy? I have interviews with Baker Botts and V&E (in Austin), and would really love to work in Austin, but I have never even been to Texas. A little more info on me:

I'm a 3.7gpa (better than top 20%) at Northwestern Law, with great work experience, on a secondary journal. I grew up in the burbs of a midwest city and went to a non-Texas big12 school.

So why Texas? I want big law, but where my kids can play in my back yard and go to a community pool, ride their bikes, and still be exposed to culture, arts and diversity. NY, LA, and Chicago don't really offer that combination (at least without huge $$$ or an epic commute). My research has pointed me to Austin as a great place for my family, and I know a lot of Texans who have repeatedly told me that we would love Austin.

BUT do I even have a shot at these Austin firms that I have interviews with? What should I say to give me a chance, given my complete lack of Texas roots? I do have family in Arizona and Mexico, but that isn't super relevant.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:21 pm

Bid on 19 firms. Pre-selected for 18 and an alternate for 1. Gonna cancel on about half.

Edit: crap I think this is different from 1L OCI. I remember being able to choose whether or not to take the interview after being pre-selected. There doesn't seem to be the same option this time around.

yellowmellow

Postby yellowmellow » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:54 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Bid on 19 firms. Pre-selected for 18 and an alternate for 1. Gonna cancel on about half.

Edit: crap I think this is different from 1L OCI. I remember being able to choose whether or not to take the interview after being pre-selected. There doesn't seem to be the same option this time around.

Under Interview Programs if you click the scheduled interviews tab there is a cancel button there.

Hopefully you're canceling at firms I'm an alternate at

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:37 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:Bid on 19 firms. Pre-selected for 18 and an alternate for 1. Gonna cancel on about half.

I don't really remember, but UT might have additional guidelines on canceling interviews. I would check the cso handout before following the above post's instructions.

Also, unless you already have an offer from your 1L firm, which you would take over the firms you're canceling, I would be very hesitant to cancel interviews. Yes, based on your numbers you're in a good position, but no need to increase the small risk of getting shut out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:40 pm

10 preselects and 5 lottery.
Median from ut, IP.
How did everyone else do?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone give me a recommendation or even just tell me that I'm crazy? I have interviews with Baker Botts and V&E (in Austin), and would really love to work in Austin, but I have never even been to Texas. A little more info on me:

I'm a 3.7gpa (better than top 20%) at Northwestern Law, with great work experience, on a secondary journal. I grew up in the burbs of a midwest city and went to a non-Texas big12 school.

So why Texas? I want big law, but where my kids can play in my back yard and go to a community pool, ride their bikes, and still be exposed to culture, arts and diversity. NY, LA, and Chicago don't really offer that combination (at least without huge $$$ or an epic commute). My research has pointed me to Austin as a great place for my family, and I know a lot of Texans who have repeatedly told me that we would love Austin.

BUT do I even have a shot at these Austin firms that I have interviews with? What should I say to give me a chance, given my complete lack of Texas roots? I do have family in Arizona and Mexico, but that isn't super relevant.

I think it's extremely unlikely that you will get biglaw in Austin, sorry. You're trying to break into one of the more insular markets in the country and you haven't even been in the city before? And you want to live there b/c Texans told you you'd like it?

Based on your description, why Austin over Houston? Or Dallas? Or Fort Worth? Or San Antonio? Or a ton of cities in the Midwest?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:59 pm

25 preselects, 0 lottery. Top 10%. All of my top bids were Austin but I didn't get a single lottery spot...not even my number one!

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:25 preselects, 0 lottery. Top 10%. All of my top bids were Austin but I didn't get a single lottery spot...not even my number one!

Were you preselected for that number 1?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:04 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:25 preselects, 0 lottery. Top 10%. All of my top bids were Austin but I didn't get a single lottery spot...not even my number one!

no. I was not preselected for my top 3, and I also did not receive them through lottery. All austin firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

no. I was not preselected for my top 3, and I also did not receive them through lottery. All austin firms.

Exact same happened to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:07 pm

(anon "unlikely" here)

Because it is a big college town, unlike Dallas and Houston which are more traditional midwest cities. I don't want minnesota (might as well stay in chicago) or St. Louis (I'm just not a huge fan). Kansas City is a great place to live, but doesn't have the legal market that Dallas and Austin have (although I have a couple interviews there)

I've done more research than just "a texan told me so", and I feel like I have a decent feel for what Austin, as a community, has to offer. I really do understand firms wanting to hire from people with roots in the community, both from an attrition perspective and a culture/fit perspective. That said, there must be a way for me to express that I have no desire to move my family around for a third time in a few years, and don't really HAVE a "home market" right now, but feel that Austin would make for a great one.

I suppose I'll just have to toss a couple hail-marys. I suppose what I'm really asking is would it be a good idea to steer the conversation towards why I think my family is a fit for Austin? Or am I dead in the water and should just cancel?

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:(anon "unlikely" here)

Because it is a big college town, unlike Dallas and Houston which are more traditional midwest cities. I don't want minnesota (might as well stay in chicago) or St. Louis (I'm just not a huge fan). Kansas City is a great place to live, but doesn't have the legal market that Dallas and Austin have (although I have a couple interviews there)

I've done more research than just "a texan told me so", and I feel like I have a decent feel for what Austin, as a community, has to offer. I really do understand firms wanting to hire from people with roots in the community, both from an attrition perspective and a culture/fit perspective. That said, there must be a way for me to express that I have no desire to move my family around for a third time in a few years, and don't really HAVE a "home market" right now, but feel that Austin would make for a great one.

I suppose I'll just have to toss a couple hail-marys. I suppose what I'm really asking is would it be a good idea to steer the conversation towards why I think my family is a fit for Austin? Or am I dead in the water and should just cancel?

really depends on what the effects are from cancelling. can you get other firms in other markets (where you have a better chance of success) to fill those slots, or is it more or less a sunk cost? if the former, cancel for sure. if the latter, you might as well give it a shot.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

Exact same happened to me.

must be the algorithm then (where they assign you all preselects before giving lottery). maybe talk to CSO to see if they will allow you to cancel any preselects to get a lottery spot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:21 pm

Yeah, maybe I'll call and see if there is anything I can do. Beware future UT 1Ls...Austin is a trap!

Return to “Legal Employment”