Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
2014utLaw

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby 2014utLaw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

lisjjen wrote:
2014utLaw wrote:Alright, friends. I'm a 3.6x URM MA going all out for Austin biglaw. Anecdotally, my chances fall somewhere between SOL and decent. I will be posting my exact results on this thread (screeners, callbacks, offers) in order to let others know of their chances in the future. There will, of course, be a lag before I post as to retain anonymity.
You're a 3.6 URM from UT looking to work in bigTex and you think that you're SOL? Hi, this is Top-Law-Schools.com. You will find a description of the site below. Welcome!

Welcome to Top-Law-Schools.com, a free and valuable resource to assist students applying to law schools. Top-Law-Schools.com offers 2012 law school rankings which links to exclusive law school profiles, advice for writing law school personal statements, and law school forums. In addition to the forums, the main sections of Top-Law-Schools.com are law school admissions, law schools, and law students.
:roll: She/he said Austin biglaw, which as we all know is tough, and "somewhere between SOL and decent," which is true, though probably leaning toward the decent side.

On another note, once people do want to start posting results anonymously, let's follow the convention of other OCI threads and "sign" the anonymous posts so it's easier to keep track of who's saying what.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Just south of 3.7, TLR, native Texan who wants to work on the coasts:

Did well in the NYC job fair as far as preselects go. In addition, I've been bombarding the city with mass mails (at least 30) but, so far, I have only gotten one interview that way. Am I doing something wrong, or is it really hard for UT students to break into NYC?

Signed: Perseus
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:23 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
lisjjen wrote:
2014utLaw wrote:Alright, friends. I'm a 3.6x URM MA going all out for Austin biglaw. Anecdotally, my chances fall somewhere between SOL and decent. I will be posting my exact results on this thread (screeners, callbacks, offers) in order to let others know of their chances in the future. There will, of course, be a lag before I post as to retain anonymity.
You're a 3.6 URM from UT looking to work in bigTex and you think that you're SOL? Hi, this is Top-Law-Schools.com. You will find a description of the site below. Welcome!

Welcome to Top-Law-Schools.com, a free and valuable resource to assist students applying to law schools. Top-Law-Schools.com offers 2012 law school rankings which links to exclusive law school profiles, advice for writing law school personal statements, and law school forums. In addition to the forums, the main sections of Top-Law-Schools.com are law school admissions, law schools, and law students.
:roll: She/he said Austin biglaw, which as we all know is tough, and "somewhere between SOL and decent," which is true, though probably leaning toward the decent side.

On another note, once people do want to start posting results anonymously, let's follow the convention of other OCI threads and "sign" the anonymous posts so it's easier to keep track of who's saying what.

Had lunch with an URM associate at Scott Doug (which is much more selective than Winstead, Jackson Walker, or some of the other shops in town) and they definitely were 3.6 or below. Although, OP, what flavor of URM are you? I think that might matter.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just south of 3.7, TLR, native Texan who wants to work on the coasts:

Did well in the NYC job fair as far as preselects go. In addition, I've been bombarding the city with mass mails (at least 30) but, so far, I have only gotten one interview that way. Am I doing something wrong, or is it really hard for UT students to break into NYC?

Getting 1 response from 30 mass-mails is pretty good already. The thing with UT and NYC firms is that it's really hit or miss. With firms that recruit UT students, the cutoff for UT isn't significantly different from lower T14. With those that don't (which is probably the majority of firms), UT fares worse than the NYC regional schools (e.g., Fordham, BU, BC)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 pm

f0bolous wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just south of 3.7, TLR, native Texan who wants to work on the coasts:

Getting 1 response from 30 mass-mails is pretty good already. The thing with UT and NYC firms is that it's really hit or miss. With firms that recruit UT students, the cutoff for UT isn't significantly different from lower T14. With those that don't (which is probably the majority of firms), UT fares worse than the NYC regional schools (e.g., Fordham, BU, BC)

I would have thought that high 3.60's and Law Review would appear to be in the top 10% of the class to those unfamiliar with UT. Do they not even go there for BU and Fordham students?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:24 pm

Top 40/35% ish at Vandy, no journal, from Austin

I've mass mailed about 40 firms so far (hoping to get to 60 by the end of tomorrow). I started on the 12th. Mostly looking Dallas and Houston but threw in a few Austin/San Antonio firms.

I've only heard back from 3 firms - all "we have your stuff, we'll let you know"

-Lana Kane

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
f0bolous wrote:

I would have thought that high 3.60's and Law Review would appear to be in the top 10% of the class to those unfamiliar with UT. Do they not even go there for BU and Fordham students?

Even if they don't usually recruit from UT, I'm sure they can look up where you are roughly in the class. Also, it's still July. Most summer programs haven't ended, so recruiting people are busy handling that at the moment. Just continue sending these letters out and wait it out some more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:14 pm

2014utLaw wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 40/35% ish at Vandy, no journal, from Austin

I've mass mailed about 40 firms so far (hoping to get to 60 by the end of tomorrow). I started on the 12th. Mostly looking Dallas and Houston but threw in a few Austin/San Antonio firms.

I've only heard back from 3 firms - all "we have your stuff, we'll let you know"

-Lana Kane

Lana, are you going to get a good shot at those Houston/Dallas firms via OCI?

We have a decent number coming for OCI, but I'm not super optimistic about getting much out of it. I bid LL Houston #1 & Andrews Kurth #2 and I think I'm a good candidate for them, but I don't think I've got a real shot at HayBoo/V&E/BB etc

-LK

UVA Cavalier

Postby UVA Cavalier » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:38 pm

I'm around median at UVA and I kill kill killed it at Texas OGI (OCI for a few firms, including UVA in Texas)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:10 am

If someone is from Dallas or Houston and applying to firms with offices in Dallas/Houston, what office should they say they prefer? Is being indifferent okay?

nouseforaname123

Postby nouseforaname123 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:08 am

UVA Cavalier wrote:I'm around median at UVA and I kill kill killed it at Texas OGI (OCI for a few firms, including UVA in Texas)

How many offers?

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:31 am

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:34 am

UVA Cavalier wrote:I'm around median at UVA and I kill kill killed it at Texas OGI (OCI for a few firms, including UVA in Texas)

Native Texan?

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If someone is from Dallas or Houston and applying to firms with offices in Dallas/Houston, what office should they say they prefer? Is being indifferent okay?

Possible answers:
-You'd love to work in either city. If asked for more info, provide specific reasons for why each city.
-Keep in mind Dallas firms may be more likely to be jealous if you say you would love to work in either city.
-Safest bet is if you are from Dallas (or have family in Dallas), say you would love to work in either city, but it would be really nice to return home (be by family etc.) when interviewing with dallas firms and just keep to the "I'd love working in both cities" when interviewing with Houston. Or vice-versa.
-If you don't strong ties to either, Houston is a safer better since they generally care less about where you're from.
-If you want oil & gas, energy, toxic tort litigation, environmental litigation, then Houston is probably a better fit. If you want more finance, complex commercial litigation, etc., then Dallas might be a better fit. Firms in both cities do all of this stuff, but Houston is more of the energy center while Dallas has more of a finance reputation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:21 pm

I've looked at the past threads, but is there a usual timeframe for hearing back from firms?

The only ones I've heard from have been "We'll let you know in a few weeks" kind of replies.

-Lana Kane

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've looked at the past threads, but is there a usual timeframe for hearing back from firms?

The only ones I've heard from have been "We'll let you know in a few weeks" kind of replies.

-Lana Kane

Be prepared to wait. You may get some bites, but my general impression is that firms prefer to hire in the following order:

1. OCI
2. Diversity fairs and IP fairs
3. Students who are known to partners (family friend situations)
4. Mass mail

If you're a particularily strong candidate the firm will prioritize you.

Finally, most firms are winding down their summer programs as we speak. The people who run recruiting at big firms are scrambling to get evaluations of SA work product, get evals from SAs, request SA transcripts, reimburse expenses, etc... Then the recruiting people will put together all info on their SAs so that the attorneys on the recruiting committee can meet and make decisions on offers (preferably before OCI starts up so the firm can boast about great offer rates).

Meanwhile, the recruiters are also taking care of the logistics for OCI, which starts in three weeks at some schools.

All of this is to say that the people who look at your materials are really busy right now, so don't worry if you don't hear something right away.

(typed on a phone, please forgive grammar and spelling)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:45 am

Are we sharing mass mailing results on this thread too?

philosoraptor

Postby philosoraptor » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:Are we sharing mass mailing results on this thread too?
Go for it, but remember to "sign" your posts so we can keep the anons straight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am

Okay, no happy news, but rejections from Rose Walker and Gibson, Dunn, Crutcher (Dallas)

Just wanted to let people know that things were moving at least a little!

-Lana Kane

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:36 pm

Do UT bids on other states count?

Just shy of 3.7, TLR. OCI results have not been released yet.

Sutherland, NYC (mass mail); Haynes & Boone, NYC (mass mail); Shearman & Sterling, NYC (mass mail) (out of 40+ sent)

The NYC job fair except R&G, D.C.; R&G, Boston; FF; and Skadden (13-16 firms).

TX bids will not be released until Aug. 06, but if you've already been in contact with alumni at firms, some will tell you whether or not you've been preselected (I wouldn't ask though, too aspie, but if they tell you unsolicited, that's on them)

Signed: "Mitt Romney" (hint: see avatar). I am pleased with my results so far, and I really hope my interviewing skills are up to par for the challenges ahead
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do UT bids on other states count?

Sutherland, NYC (mass mail); Haynes & Boone, NYC (mass mail); Shearman & Sterling, NYC (mass mail) (out of 40+ sent)

TX bids will not be released until Aug. 06, but if you've already been in contact with alumni at firms, some will tell you whether or not you've been preselected (I wouldn't ask though, too aspie, but if they tell you unsolicited, that's on them)

Signed: Edited Out. I am pleased with my results so far, and I really hope my interviewing skills are up to par for the challenges ahead (i.e. being one of the dumbest people ever considered for Cravath, DPW, and S&C)

If you go anonymous, shouldn't you sign it with a name that isn't obviously connected to your real username?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:20 pm

^lol

Also, i dont know why you feel the need to round your GPA up .03 points. It's more helpful to other people if you are accurate about your stats and your results so that other people can better guage what they might net with the same stats. Good luck in NY!

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:32 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do UT bids on other states count?

Signed: Edited Out. I am pleased with my results so far, and I really hope my interviewing skills are up to par for the challenges ahead (i.e. being one of the dumbest people ever considered for Cravath, DPW, and S&C)

If you go anonymous, shouldn't you sign it with a name that isn't obviously connected to your real username?

TBF- it makes it harder to find out info from someone by going through their old posts.

Return to “Legal Employment”