Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
lisjjen

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby lisjjen » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:51 pm

The benefit to working at McKool Smith is that you would be working at a place called "McKool."

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:54 pm

lisjjen wrote:The benefit to working at McKool Smith is that you would be working at a place called "McKool."

Yep, I bid em pretty high for that exact reason. But also because they pay above market

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:02 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lisjjen wrote:The benefit to working at McKool Smith is that you would be working at a place called "McKool."

Yep, I bid em pretty high for that exact reason. But also because they pay above market

Oh, so a "lifestyle" firm. I'm sure they have very laid back hour requirements.

ETA: The ironic thing about the above sarcasm is that even though their hours are pretty rough for Texas, they're still better than an NYC firm. Not to mention the purchasing power. With Texas firms, it's always going to get back to purchasing power. Saying you work in NY might make someone feel better about themselves, but personally, I want to work fewer hours, drive one of those new Audis with the cool headlights, and travel abroad.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:31 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

I know someone there who is pretty miserable. I am not sure what their lateral or in-house exit options are either.

Cade McNown

Postby Cade McNown » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

I know someone there who is pretty miserable. I am not sure what their lateral or in-house exit options are either.

I'm guessing nonprofit-prophet is game for such mi$ery.

Perseus_I

Postby Perseus_I » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:38 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

But seriously - what are the exit options? Can you go in-house from a litigation firm - yes or no? I would tend to guess it is less likely than transactional from BB, VE, AK, or FJ, but I could be wrong.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Perseus_I wrote:But seriously - what are the exit options? Can you go in-house from a litigation firm - yes or no? I would tend to guess it is less likely than transactional from BB, VE, AK, or FJ, but I could be wrong.

Yes. Who do you think coordinates litigation when a company gets sued.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:08 pm

Cade McNown wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

C.R.E.A.M.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:21 am

Cade McNown wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Was nonresident at UT with competitive stats and got shut out of Houston/Dallas. Interviewers were constantly bringing up ties. They wanted blood relatives in the city, years spent living there, etc. Going to school in-state and saying I wanted to stay wasn't enough. YMMV.

+1...Non-residents generally underperform their class rank at texas firms. I luckily got a few offers in TX, but it was a pitiful amount compared to the number of callbacks received

Mind if I ask stats for you two? Also: either of you TLR members / Moot Court dominators?

2nd anon. Top 1/3? (not sure what the cutoff is) and secondary journal, but I had really good work experience—like the game-changing kind. Got callbacks at most places I interviewed. Got offers from less than 1/4 of the callbacks I went on. Convincing one/two people in a 20 minute session about ties is a lot easier than all 6-7 (sometimes more) during a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:17 am

Top 10% and LR. No texas ties other than law school. Did I waste my time bidding on texas firms? Any shot??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Top 10% and LR. No texas ties other than law school. Did I waste my time bidding on texas firms? Any shot??

definitely a very good (if not great) shot. it's just that your interview experience won't be as smooth as a top 10% TX native. you'll prob have an easier time snagging a NYC V5 still.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:01 am

Cade McNown wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

More like for-profit-prophet

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:10 pm

Top 10% and LR. No texas ties other than law school. Did I waste my time bidding on texas firms? Any shot??

You will do fine, but will probably inexplicably miss a callback or offer or two because some life-long Houstonite thinks you will run back to your home market. This is especially true if you are also interviewing in your home market.

When the Texas firms ask you where else you are interviewing, I would consider lying and saying something like "Houston, Dallas, and Austin" rather than "Houston, Dallas, Austin, and NYC. Oh, and LA, where I'm from."

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

You will do fine, but will probably inexplicably miss a callback or offer or two because some life-long Houstonite thinks you will run back to your home market. This is especially true if you are also interviewing in your home market.

When the Texas firms ask you where else you are interviewing, I would consider lying and saying something like "Houston, Dallas, and Austin" rather than "Houston, Dallas, Austin, and NYC. Oh, and LA, where I'm from."

My problem is I have never been anywhere in Texas except for Austin. I'm just here for that oil.

Jokes aside, I am a little anxious about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:42 am

Ranked 5/228 at Texas Tech after my 1L year. I'm interested in working in pretty much any of the bigger markets in Texas, but would prefer the DFW area above all else. I am a K-JD and was just accepted on Law Review. What firms should should I have the best shot at getting a SA position coming from Tech? TIA

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Ranked 5/228 at Texas Tech after my 1L year. I'm interested in working in pretty much any of the bigger markets in Texas, but would prefer the DFW area above all else. I am a K-JD and was just accepted on Law Review. What firms should should I have the best shot at getting a SA position coming from Tech? TIA

You should be fairly competitive at most of the Texas firms in D/FW, especially some of the FW firms. I would apply to all of the Dallas firms and big FW firms and you'll likely get several interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:51 am

kalvano wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ranked 5/228 at Texas Tech after my 1L year. I'm interested in working in pretty much any of the bigger markets in Texas, but would prefer the DFW area above all else. I am a K-JD and was just accepted on Law Review. What firms should should I have the best shot at getting a SA position coming from Tech? TIA

You should be fairly competitive at most of the Texas firms in D/FW, especially some of the FW firms. I would apply to all of the Dallas firms and big FW firms and you'll likely get several interviews.

That's the plan. I'm going to start mass mailing stuff today since we just found out about LR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:53 am

Dallas is pretty ties heavy, so unless you are from there, I would definitely target Houston as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Dallas is pretty ties heavy, so unless you are from there, I would definitely target Houston as well.

I'm from a small town in East Texas with Dallas being the closest city of any size. Do you think this would count as being "from there?"

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:24 am

You should be good in Dallas being from Texas and going to Tech. Tech has a pretty good rep in D/FW.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:25 am

kalvano wrote:You should be good in Dallas being from Texas and going to Tech. Tech has a pretty good rep in D/FW.

Thanks for the help, Kalvano.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm from a small town in East Texas with Dallas being the closest city of any size. Do you think this would count as being "from there?"

Yes, I'm from Tyler and I have been able to swing both DFW/Houston ties by saying that I used to drive to each city (depending on the interview) in order to see concerts/sporting events while in high school. People do not expect you to go back to a small town, as they did not even question my desire to return to Tyler.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, I'm from Tyler and I have been able to swing both DFW/Houston ties by saying that I used to drive to each city (depending on the interview) in order to see concerts/sporting events while in high school. People do not expect you to go back to a small town, as they did not even question my desire to return to Tyler.

Lol. I drove to both Dallas and Houston for sporting events tons of times and have extended family in both cities that I visit from time to time. I'm from right around Tyler and if an interviewer ever questions my desire to return to East Texas, I would have to wonder if they've ever actually been to East Texas. If they had then they would already have their answer.

2014utLaw

Postby 2014utLaw » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:58 am

Last edited by 2014utLaw on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lisjjen

Postby lisjjen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:50 am

2014utLaw wrote:Alright, friends. I'm a 3.6x URM MA going all out for Austin biglaw. Anecdotally, my chances fall somewhere between SOL and decent. I will be posting my exact results on this thread (screeners, callbacks, offers) in order to let others know of their chances in the future. There will, of course, be a lag before I post as to retain anonymity.

You're a 3.6 URM from UT looking to work in bigTex and you think that you're SOL? Hi, this is Top-Law-Schools.com. You will find a description of the site below. Welcome!

Welcome to Top-Law-Schools.com, a free and valuable resource to assist students applying to law schools. Top-Law-Schools.com offers 2012 law school rankings which links to exclusive law school profiles, advice for writing law school personal statements, and law school forums. In addition to the forums, the main sections of Top-Law-Schools.com are law school admissions, law schools, and law students.

Return to “Legal Employment”