Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the story with LL Houston? I saw people posting earlier about offers, but I still haven't heard one way or the other. Does anybody know if we should expect a second wave? I'm still looking for a second half firm.

You and me both. Besides LL and AK, I cannot find any firms that offer a second half. Any suggestions? I'm OOS, so OCS is useless for me.

King & Spalding, Mayer Brown

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:What's the story with LL Houston? I saw people posting earlier about offers, but I still haven't heard one way or the other. Does anybody know if we should expect a second wave? I'm still looking for a second half firm.

LL Houston offers went out around September 10th and 11th. Acceptances are due around October 8th. So if you've not received a ding, you may be on a wait-list. So there is likely to be movement next week. In this case no news likely means you still have a chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You and me both. Besides LL and AK, I cannot find any firms that offer a second half. Any suggestions? I'm OOS, so OCS is useless for me.

Bracewell is a second-half firm.

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a list of second-half firms? OCS at my non-Texas school could not help me.

Also, is it a huge mark against you if you don't have a second-half SA? Do people usually do something else if they can't land a second-half SA?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Bracewell is a second-half firm.

While we're on the subject, does anyone have a list of second-half firms? OCS at my non-Texas school could not help me.

Also, is it a huge mark against you if you don't have a second-half SA? Do people usually do something else if they can't land a second-half SA?

In the past it might have been viewed negatively but not really anymore. That's why all the firms are moving to first half - they don't want to have to split with anyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:43 pm

Also, is it a huge mark against you if you don't have a second-half SA? Do people usually do something else if they can't land a second-half SA?[/quote]

In the past it might have been viewed negatively but not really anymore. That's why all the firms are moving to first half - they don't want to have to split with anyone.[/quote][/quote]

I would agree with this. What if you were offered two first half offers--you can't be dinged for having accepted your firm over the other. Although I think you should continue to find something or formulate a plan, so that way when someone asks, your answer is not that you are going to sit on your ass and play xbox (although that may be what ends up happening).

To answer LL, B&G, AK. I think VE and FJ. But all of them are likely to be finished.

Because of other commitments I actually don't have a full six weeks to give in the second half. So I plan on trying to find a boutique firm that didn't do OCI to do 4 weeks; finish my comment early of do some volunteer work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:08 pm

Offer from Gardere Houston this morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You and me both. Besides LL and AK, I cannot find any firms that offer a second half. Any suggestions? I'm OOS, so OCS is useless for me.

In the past it might have been viewed negatively but not really anymore. That's why all the firms are moving to first half - they don't want to have to split with anyone.[/quote][/quote]

I would agree with this. What if you were offered two first half offers--you can't be dinged for having accepted your firm over the other. Although I think you should continue to find something or formulate a plan, so that way when someone asks, your answer is not that you are going to sit on your ass and play xbox (although that may be what ends up happening).

To answer LL, B&G, AK. I think VE and FJ. But all of them are likely to be finished.

Because of other commitments I actually don't have a full six weeks to give in the second half. So I plan on trying to find a boutique firm that didn't do OCI to do 4 weeks; finish my comment early of do some volunteer work.[/quote]

Also Mayer Brown and Pillsbury Winthrop.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:52 pm

Any news from B&G? My CB with them was almost a month ago.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:04 pm

Any JW Houston offer in the past week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from B&G? My CB with them was almost a month ago.

They are probably holding you on a waitlist to see how many of their offers get accepted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:34 pm

Has anyone received rejection letters from B&G recently?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:43 pm

Has anyone heard anything about offers from Winstead Houston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything about offers from Winstead Houston?

I was told by a classmate who received an offer that Winstead Houston had 10 SA spots and all have been filled (or at least offered).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything about offers from Winstead Houston?

I was told by a classmate who received an offer that Winstead Houston had 10 SA spots and all have been filled (or at least offered).

Thanks. Do you know when offers went out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks. Do you know when offers went out?

I received an offer from Winstead Houston in mid-september. Declined it last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received rejection letters from B&G recently?

I've heard nothing either way and it's been a month. Starting to lose hope =/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received rejection letters from B&G recently?

I've heard nothing either way and it's been a month. Starting to lose hope =/

Three weeks here. I definitely think we are on their waitlist. And we aren't the only ones, I know of at least two more at my school in the same boat. First round offers should start expiring this week and next. Hopefully there is a new round of movement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Offer from Littler Mendelson Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:39 pm

Anyone else still waiting on HB Houston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Anyone on this site that passed on a LL Houston offer? Still haven't got a rejection letter and trying to see if I should hold on to hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on this site that passed on a LL Houston offer? Still haven't got a rejection letter and trying to see if I should hold on to hope.

The offers expired today, so if anything you should be hearing soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:35 am

Shut out of my home state. Kind of bummed. YHS, not the most impressive of grades though. Shame.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:55 am

I know people who passed on LL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on this site that passed on a LL Houston offer? Still haven't got a rejection letter and trying to see if I should hold on to hope.

Same situation but with F&J Austin. Been over a month, and I assume the rejection just fell through the cracks a while back...anyone know when offers expired there? Or that heard back with a post-CB rejection recently?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Same situation but with F&J Austin. Been over a month, and I assume the rejection just fell through the cracks a while back...anyone know when offers expired there? Or that heard back with a post-CB rejection recently?

Bump for B&G Houston. It's been over a month.

Return to “Legal Employment”