Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^lol

Also, i dont know why you feel the need to round your GPA up .03 points. It's more helpful to other people if you are accurate about your stats and your results so that other people can better guage what they might net with the same stats. Good luck in NY!
"Shy of" is not rounding up. It is stating a very, very narrow range without outing myself in a direct search for "Texas 3.64" (for example). Would it be better to say 3.66-3.68? I highly doubt there is an appreciable difference in performance within that range. It's sure a whole lot more precise than people from UT and other schools who claim to be "top third" (3.50-3.58) or "top 20%" (3.6X - 3.7x) or "top 10%" (3.74-3.84) based on guesswork.

Signed: "Mitt Romney"
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:51 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^lol

Also, i dont know why you feel the need to round your GPA up .03 points. It's more helpful to other people if you are accurate about your stats and your results so that other people can better guage what they might net with the same stats. Good luck in NY!
"Shy of" is not rounding up. It is stating a very, very narrow range without outing myself in a direct search for "Texas 3.64" (for example). Would it be better to say 3.66-3.68? I highly doubt there is an appreciable difference in performance within that range. It's sure a whole lot more precise than people from UT and other schools who claim to be "top third" (3.50-3.58) or "top 20%" (3.6X - 3.7x) or "top 10%" (3.74-3.84) based on guesswork.

Signed: "Mitt Romney"
Agreed.

granger

Bronze

Post by granger » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Did anyone get an email from an employer at tomorrow's fair telling them they're definitely hired and to just come say hi at the hospitality suite in lieu of interviewing?

Neither did I 8) Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!!

yellowmellow

New

Post by yellowmellow » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:05 pm

Is anyone going to the LA Job fair the 13th?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:35 am

yellowmellow wrote:Is anyone going to the LA Job fair the 13th?
Yes. Trying to decide whether to take UT's hotel deal..

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:45 pm

How do texas firms treat someone who was raised in texas, but left for law school to attend an out of state school? im on the west coast, think davis/hastings/usc -grades are meh, above median but below top 35%, but i was raised in Houston and attended UT. a family friend whose a partner at thompson and knight knows i have around a 3.3 but still seemed enthusiastic and asked for my resume etc, so im at least hopeful ill get an interview, but asides from that do i really have a shot back home? ive probably emailed over 60 places in texas.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:58 pm

I don't think your biggest problem will be Texas firms thinking you want to stay in California. It will be your grades/school/journal combo.

As you suggested, family friends are you best shot at BigTex. Top 40% at a T30-40 doesn't give you a great shot anywhere. Obviously USC gives you a better shot (~30% in large firms as opposed to 10%), but still not good, and you miss any benefit a Texas/local school might have granted (alumni hiring, etc).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do texas firms treat someone who was raised in texas, but left for law school to attend an out of state school? im on the west coast, think davis/hastings/usc -grades are meh, above median but below top 35%, but i was raised in Houston and attended UT. a family friend whose a partner at thompson and knight knows i have around a 3.3 but still seemed enthusiastic and asked for my resume etc, so im at least hopeful ill get an interview, but asides from that do i really have a shot back home? ive probably emailed over 60 places in texas.
1. There's a big difference between USC and those other 2.
2. At best, you're at a school that's ranked similar to UT, yet those grades at UT would only get you decent consideration. Maybe the partner is excited that he's not having to vouch for a guy who is a lost cause.
3. Who's, not whose.
4. Your shot back home goes back to number 1, but also to how many connections you have.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

philosoraptor

Silver

Post by philosoraptor » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Hey guys, please lay off the anonymous posting unless you're actually sharing grades or job/personal info. Especially don't hide behind it if you want to correct other people's typos. Kthx.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:55 pm

philosoraptor wrote:Hey guys, please lay off the anonymous posting unless you're actually sharing grades or job/personal info. Especially don't hide behind it if you want to correct other people's typos. Kthx.
Cosigned.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:56 am

Top 20% and LR at MVPB, very minimal ties to Texas--any shot at a gig like Baker Botts Austin, or will the lack of ties sink me? I'm assuming I'll be closed out by UT grads. :|

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:Top 20% and LR at MVPB, very minimal ties to Texas--any shot at a gig like Baker Botts Austin, or will the lack of ties sink me? I'm assuming I'll be closed out by UT grads. :|
I think their summer class had one non-UT person (maybe two?). Most Austin firms want people who are desperate to stay in austin. If you have previous Austin ties try to construct a story about Austin being the only place for you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:58 am

Any callback news from the NYC job fair yet? I have heard that some firms should send out notifications as soon as the day after.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:59 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Top 20% and LR at MVPB, very minimal ties to Texas--any shot at a gig like Baker Botts Austin, or will the lack of ties sink me? I'm assuming I'll be closed out by UT grads. :|
I think their summer class had one non-UT person (maybe two?). Most Austin firms want people who are desperate to stay in austin. If you have previous Austin ties try to construct a story about Austin being the only place for you.
I forget who, but someone did an analysis of this a year or so ago that showed the associate breakdown of the major Austin big firms. Basically, almost every associate went to either UT law or UT undergrad. So without Austin or UT-specific ties, you're SOL.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:57 am

Just a heads-up, got a callback for a firm from the NY fair yesterday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:59 am

can you say which one? can people share which firms they've heard have started to do callbacks? thanks!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Mhmm, sorry. Weil.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:20 pm

NYC Job Fair:

Dechert callback...

Cravath ding via email

EDIT: Never mind, I guess Dechert calls back a lot of people, so this might not mean much. Is it worrisome to only hear back from one firm by the end of Friday after the Thursday job fair?

Just an FYI for future generations: As a not-even native Texan, I got grilled quite extensively on ties to and reasons for wanting to work in NYC. I am not sure any answer I was prepared to offer was good enough. I honestly did not expect it because I have always heard that ties do not matter in NYC. By contrast, I interviewed in an insular southern market (think New Orleans or Birmingham) where I have 0 ties, and ties barely came up (I got a callback).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:56 pm

Does anyone know the GPA cutoffs from the T14 (DGN) for the major Texas firms? I'm hoping its like top 66% but was wondering if anyone knew...(I have major ties to Dallas if it helps)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know the GPA cutoffs from the T14 (DGN) for the major Texas firms? I'm hoping its like top 66% but was wondering if anyone knew...(I have major ties to Dallas if it helps)
One of the Big3 firms has them all at top 1/3 (same as UT) while UVA is at top 1/2. Not sure how strict this cutoff is, though. One way people get around this is to get a 1L SA without grades.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:38 am

Cleary, cravath, S&C, and ropes all made calls on Friday

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Any news from Paul Weiss, Cahill, A&O, Milbank, or Akin Gump?

2014utLaw

New

Post by 2014utLaw » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:50 pm

UT people: log on to symplicity. The number of expected 2L slots column has completely changed, with many of the numbers between 0 and 2. I'm curious if these numbers are the same for everybody.

Or you can just wait until tomorrow at noon and not add fuel to the fire.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:55 pm

2014utLaw wrote:UT people: log on to symplicity. The number of expected 2L slots column has completely changed, with many of the numbers between 0 and 2. I'm curious if these numbers are the same for everybody.

Or you can just wait until tomorrow at noon and not add fuel to the fire.
same for everyone

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”