Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on this site that passed on a LL Houston offer? Still haven't got a rejection letter and trying to see if I should hold on to hope.
Same situation but with F&J Austin. Been over a month, and I assume the rejection just fell through the cracks a while back...anyone know when offers expired there? Or that heard back with a post-CB rejection recently?
Austin is a very small market, so it's often the case that 3/4 spots are filled, and they can't decide on your case until the last person responds. You may have been rejected, but what's most likely is that there's a short WL (the WL may've gotten smaller once others withdrew from consideration). Keep your hope up. If you absolutely have to know now because of impending deadlines, you might put a little pressure on them (but not too much, lest they drop you).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Did anyone do a CB with coats rose? If so, have you heard anything from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates on Baker Donelson in Houston?
Bump-- Any updates? Did anyone ask about their offer rates for the SAs this past summer?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Same situation but with F&J Austin. Been over a month, and I assume the rejection just fell through the cracks a while back...anyone know when offers expired there? Or that heard back with a post-CB rejection recently?
I just now got a rejection letter from them after 6 weeks... dated September 11. Good luck to you!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:58 pm

Does Gardere not send rejections? Am I correct to assume a lot of people who are SA's during the first half will be sitting around doing nothing the second?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Am I correct to assume a lot of people who are SA's during the first half will be sitting around doing nothing the second?
TCR is go backpacking or something badass if you come up empty for the 2nd half.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:00 pm

Ding letter (no email) from B&G Houston. I should have received it last saturday, but recently moved and just got mail forwarded.

CB was around a month ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Anyone have any thoughts about the announcement last week of the Dallas HayBoo partners leaving for Akin Gump? This follows some Silicon Valley IP partners leaving the firm in September. Just curious if there is anything more to it or if it is just normal lateral moves.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any thoughts about the announcement last week of the Dallas HayBoo partners leaving for Akin Gump? This follows some Silicon Valley IP partners leaving the firm in September. Just curious if there is anything more to it or if it is just normal lateral moves.
From what I've heard (friends that work there), it sounds like it was just a money thing. HB does great work in Dallas, but seem a lot more egalitarian than other firms. Sounds like the partners get paid less than partners at Akin Gump.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:48 am

Any bumps Morgan Lewis Houston?

squ1rtle

New

Post by squ1rtle » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:19 pm

Offers to Summer Associates at Large Firms in Texas

This chart depicts the number of law students who were summer associates at large firms in Texas during the summer of 2012 and the number of permanent job offers extended to those summer associates. The percentage of offers gives a good sense of the long-range health of the firm — by making offers, firms are hiring first-year associates for the fall of 2013.

Firm Number of 2L Summer Associates in 2012 Number of 2L Summer Associates Given Permanent Offers Percentage of 2012 Summer Associates With Permanent Offers Percentage of 2011 Summer Associates With Permanent Offers
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld 11 10 90.90% 92.90%
Andrews Kurth 30 28 93.30% 84.00%
Baker Botts 67 58 86.60% 89.80%
Bracewell & Giuliani 27 24 88.90% 78.60%
Cox Smith Matthews 6 6 100.00% 50.00%
Fulbright & Jaworski 49 40 81.60% 90.00%
Gardere Wynne Sewell 10 5 50.00% 100.00%
Haynes and Boone 37 34 91.90% 75.00%
Hunton & Williams* 3 3 100.00% 100.00%
Jackson Walker 17 14 82.40% 75.00%
Jones Day* 26 26 100.00% 87.00%
Kelly Hart & Hallman 5 4 80.00% **
Locke Lord 25 23 92.00% 88.20%
Looper Reed & McGraw 5 4 80.00% 87.50%
Munsch Hardt Kopf & Harr 7 6 85.70% 100.00%
Thompson & Knight 18 14 77.80% 77.80%
Vinson & Elkins 71 65 91.50% 94.70%
Weil, Gotshal & Manges* 13 11 84.60% 100.00%
Winstead 12 10 83.30% 71.40%
* Firm is not based in Texas.
** Firm will not disclose this information.
Note: The firms on the chart include 18 of the 25 largest in Texas as reported on Texas Lawyer's The Texas 100 poster, published on April 30, 2012. Six firms decline to provide information: Greenberg Traurig; K&L Gates; King & Spalding; mckool smith; Strasburger & Price; and Thompson, Coe, Cousins & Irons.
Source: the firms.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:14 pm

That was a nifty snag.

Surprised at Weil, and good grief Gardere.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 pm

I wouldn't feel too great about any of:

Gardere
Fulbright
T&K
BB

Especially Gardere...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't feel too great about any of:

Gardere
Fulbright
T&K
BB

Especially Gardere...

An explanation of your opinion would make your post much more valuable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Mce252 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I wouldn't feel too great about any of:

Gardere
Fulbright
T&K
BB

Especially Gardere...

An explanation of your opinion would make your post much more valuable.
Not the above anon.

His comment probably has to do with 5/10 offer rate. But unless the other anon poster had some kind of insider information, and I find that rather unlikely, it could very well just be statistical noise.

I also think it's nonsense to air concern about the other firms. The Texas legal business seems to be going pretty well atm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:00 pm

For those who attended the CB day at Locke Lord Dallas and submitted the NALP reimbursement form, have you gotten your refunds yet?

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Question. If you have significant ties to Austin (basically the only place a law firm could put me based on my resume) how hard is it to break into Dallas/Houston? On my cover letters (for a 1L SA) how should I go about my "ties" when I dont really have any in those cities? anyone gone through this..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:04 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Question. If you have significant ties to Austin (basically the only place a law firm could put me based on my resume) how hard is it to break into Dallas/Houston? On my cover letters (for a 1L SA) how should I go about my "ties" when I dont really have any in those cities? anyone gone through this..
UT student here. Two things. First, Dallas/Houston firms understand that Austin is a small & highly competitive legal market, and that born & raised Austinites will have to go elsewhere if they want a job. Second, while it's definitely a boost to be a Dallas or Houston native looking for a job in their hometown, being a Texan of any kind looking for a job in Dallas or Houston will be understood. Big city, hard work, big money. They get it.

As for how to frame it, just focus on the pluses of being in one of those cities and why you're interested. It could be that you're looking for a job doing sophisticated legal work, the Austin legal world is small, and you'd like to head to a bigger city for your legal career. Whatever it is, put a positive spin on some aspect of the city and how it matches up with your interests.

Gold

Post by 005618502 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Question. If you have significant ties to Austin (basically the only place a law firm could put me based on my resume) how hard is it to break into Dallas/Houston? On my cover letters (for a 1L SA) how should I go about my "ties" when I dont really have any in those cities? anyone gone through this..
UT student here. Two things. First, Dallas/Houston firms understand that Austin is a small & highly competitive legal market, and that born & raised Austinites will have to go elsewhere if they want a job. Second, while it's definitely a boost to be a Dallas or Houston native looking for a job in their hometown, being a Texan of any kind looking for a job in Dallas or Houston will be understood. Big city, hard work, big money. They get it.

As for how to frame it, just focus on the pluses of being in one of those cities and why you're interested. It could be that you're looking for a job doing sophisticated legal work, the Austin legal world is small, and you'd like to head to a bigger city for your legal career. Whatever it is, put a positive spin on some aspect of the city and how it matches up with your interests.
Great! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the response

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:45 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Great! This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for the response
FWIW, I spoke with attorneys on the hiring committees at both Dallas and Houston firms, and they said that they regularly throw out applications just because they show no ties to the respective city (even if you have lived somewhere else in TX your entire life). Unless you have stellar grades or some other hook (diversity maybe) they said it was essential to note in your cover letter your connection with the city in order to have the best shot. Some of them implied that you might as well make up a connection to look good. Not sure this is applicable to Austin though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
FWIW, I spoke with attorneys on the hiring committees at both Dallas and Houston firms, and they said that they regularly throw out applications just because they show no ties to the respective city (even if you have lived somewhere else in TX your entire life). Unless you have stellar grades or some other hook (diversity maybe) they said it was essential to note in your cover letter your connection with the city in order to have the best shot. Some of them implied that you might as well make up a connection to look good. Not sure this is applicable to Austin though.
This is true but the thing is ties are easy enough to build 1L summer. I'm a non-texan attending a non-texan school and I was able to get multiple offers from Houston firms after spending my 1L summer there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I spoke with attorneys on the hiring committees at both Dallas and Houston firms, and they said that they regularly throw out applications just because they show no ties to the respective city (even if you have lived somewhere else in TX your entire life). Unless you have stellar grades or some other hook (diversity maybe) they said it was essential to note in your cover letter your connection with the city in order to have the best shot. Some of them implied that you might as well make up a connection to look good. Not sure this is applicable to Austin though.
This is a bit hyperbolic. I had no problem getting interviews at firms for both 1L and 2L SAs in Dallas and Houston, and I am not from either city. I grew up in a smaller town in Texas. My experience my be colored somewhat by the fact that I attend a T-14, but I think most people getting interviews for 1L SAs go to well-regarded schools anyway. My experience and those of others I know who were not from Dallas or Houston make it hard for me to believe that firms are going to penalize someone who happens to be from a town that is not Dallas or Houston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FWIW, I spoke with attorneys on the hiring committees at both Dallas and Houston firms, and they said that they regularly throw out applications just because they show no ties to the respective city (even if you have lived somewhere else in TX your entire life). Unless you have stellar grades or some other hook (diversity maybe) they said it was essential to note in your cover letter your connection with the city in order to have the best shot. Some of them implied that you might as well make up a connection to look good. Not sure this is applicable to Austin though.
This is a bit hyperbolic. I had no problem getting interviews at firms for both 1L and 2L SAs in Dallas and Houston, and I am not from either city. I grew up in a smaller town in Texas. My experience my be colored somewhat by the fact that I attend a T-14, but I think most people getting interviews for 1L SAs go to well-regarded schools anyway. My experience and those of others I know who were not from Dallas or Houston make it hard for me to believe that firms are going to penalize someone who happens to be from a town that is not Dallas or Houston.
From my own experience I think OP was quite right. I am from West Texas originally and only have Houston on my resume for one college summer. I got grilled hard at EVERY Dallas firm I interviewed at as a 1L about my motivation for wanting to end up in Dallas; so much so that I eventually just made up a girlfriend at SMU. Houston didn't seem to care as much about ties, but if they asked "why houston?", I would say something about Dallas people being too flashy haha

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
From my own experience I think OP was quite right. I am from West Texas originally and only have Houston on my resume for one college summer. I got grilled hard at EVERY Dallas firm I interviewed at as a 1L about my motivation for wanting to end up in Dallas; so much so that I eventually just made up a girlfriend at SMU. Houston didn't seem to care as much about ties, but if they asked "why houston?", I would say something about Dallas people being too flashy haha
Also from West Texas and had the exact opposite experience. Anytime I was asked why I wanted to work in Dallas, I'd just respond with "because there's no legal market where I'm from" and they were totally cool with it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:03 pm

I know this thread is super old but it is the only thread I've seen SettlePou mentioned in. Does anyone know the first year associate salary at SettlePou?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”