Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms) Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Re: Texas OCI (and non-UT students bidding on TX firms)

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Does anyone have any info on Jackson Walker? I bid on their Houston office but was "not invited" in OCI; however, their published hiring guidelines say "top 50%" (I am .07 above top quarter), and their Austin office invited members of the Texas Law Review to an exclusive reception.

I am trying to find out if they are just super exclusive, despite their guidelines, or if they engage in yield protection, because I am interested in pursuing an interview with them.
Gotta be YP. I can't imagine JW is very exclusive.
YP probably isn't entirely accurate. It's a very Texas firm. I can see them not being interested in people whose resumes don't scream Texas.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:07 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:Does anyone have any info on Jackson Walker? I bid on their Houston office but was "not invited" in OCI; however, their published hiring guidelines say "top 50%" (I am .07 above top quarter), and their Austin office invited members of the Texas Law Review to an exclusive reception.

I am trying to find out if they are just super exclusive, despite their guidelines, or if they engage in yield protection, because I am interested in pursuing an interview with them.
What I would have thought -- except for the TLR invitation. It seems odd that a firm would specifically recruit members of the Texas Law Review and then YP one of the lowest GPA's on the Texas Law Review. Are they specifically known for something that would make them a top choice of top students -- that would cause them to be super exclusive?

FYI, at least according to NYC firms, especially on a very painful callback with Milbank/S&S, my resume DOES scream Texas. Permanent address in Texas, undergrad in Texas. W/E out of Texas is the only thing I can think of.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:18 pm

Perseus_I wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

What I would have thought -- except for the TLR invitation. It seems odd that a firm would specifically recruit members of the Texas Law Review and then YP one of the lowest GPA's on the Texas Law Review. Are they specifically known for something that would make them a top choice of top students -- that would cause them to be super exclusive?

FYI, at least according to NYC firms, especially on a very painful callback with Milbank/S&S, my resume DOES scream Texas. Permanent address in Texas, undergrad in Texas. W/E out of Texas is the only thing I can think of.
JW really doesn't get TLR people. Even if your resume screams texas, that doesn't mean it screams JW. They probably thought you'd go to work for a big 3 or something. something tells me you'll be fine without a JW interview.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:04 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:

JW really doesn't get TLR people. Even if your resume screams texas, that doesn't mean it screams JW. They probably thought you'd go to work for a big 3 or something. something tells me you'll be fine without a JW interview.
This doesn't make the most sense. JW is not going to YP all of TLR. (And JW isn't "below" TLR either--I think viewing firms just based on prestige isn't the best way to do it.) Legal hiring isn't like applying to law schools--there's a ton of other things that go into the mix besides grades and firms can be more selective than schools (especially ITE). Take into account the office in question is the Houston office, a non-home base office that has been taking very small SA classes (some of these spots may be already be essentially reserved for a UH student or two), the firm can be randomly picky about a lot of things.

Perseus shouldn't worry about not getting a screener there (and if he really does want a screener there, he should go talk to the JW houston recruiting coordinator, drop off a resume, and say something like "I was wondering if there was any open slots where I could be squeezed in to interview with the houston office. I am very interested in this office and would love the opportunity to have an interview"). But having the first reaction be YP might not be the most accurate (that's not to say that there's no chance of YP happening, it could very well be that, it just seems like there's so many other random factors involved and just some randomness in general for that to be the go-to reason).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:31 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Perseus_I wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Gotta be YP. I can't imagine JW is very exclusive.

This doesn't make the most sense. JW is not going to YP all of TLR. (And JW isn't "below" TLR either--I think viewing firms just based on prestige isn't the best way to do it.) Legal hiring isn't like applying to law schools--there's a ton of other things that go into the mix besides grades and firms can be more selective than schools (especially ITE). Take into account the office in question is the Houston office, a non-home base office that has been taking very small SA classes (some of these spots may be already be essentially reserved for a UH student or two), the firm can be randomly picky about a lot of things.

Perseus shouldn't worry about not getting a screener there (and if he really does want a screener there, he should go talk to the JW houston recruiting coordinator, drop off a resume, and say something like "I was wondering if there was any open slots where I could be squeezed in to interview with the houston office. I am very interested in this office and would love the opportunity to have an interview"). But having the first reaction be YP might not be the most accurate (that's not to say that there's no chance of YP happening, it could very well be that, it just seems like there's so many other random factors involved and just some randomness in general for that to be the go-to reason).
Was the reception before or after preselects came out? Did Perseus attend the reception? How did it go? Did other TLR members get screening interviews?

I attend SMU/UH, and went through OCI last year. JW had a similar reception for our LR members. Last year, I was under the impression that attorneys report their first impressions from the receptions to recruiting. My JW interviewer mentioned that a good friend of hers had met me at the reception and the interviewer had been looking forward to the interview.

I agree that it seems odd to suggest YP.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:40 pm

this is ridiculous.

Perseus--chill out man. You didn't get a screener? Who gives a fuck? I didn't get preselected at certain places I should be a "lock for" and I'm in the top 10%. YP? Unlikely. Who knows why they do/don't pick certain people, but it really doesn't matter. You got 25 interviews, so just focus on the ones you have and don't worry about the ones you didn't get. As someone else pointed out, this isn't law school admissions.

formerbiglawpartner

New

Post by formerbiglawpartner » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:51 pm

Excellent advice to Perseus. If you are TLR, you are out of their league, frankly. You need to take some deep breaths, stop over-analyzing, and concentrate on the interviews you have. Honestly, if you are overwrought with anxiety, that can't help but negatively affect your interviews, so CALM DOWN. You are in great shape.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:24 pm

Anyone have any good info on Haynes Boone (Dallas) selectivity? Or just the general culture?

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:48 pm

The reception did not happen yet, so selections could not have been based on that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any good info on Haynes Boone (Dallas) selectivity? Or just the general culture?
I was told that they expect so many back from fast track that they will be more selective than usual. One associate estimated around top 15-20% for UT

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Does anyone mind posting Texas firms that are interviewing 3Ls at OCI? I'm at an out of state T2 and was lucky enough to get an SA position in a smaller Texas office, but I won't know about an offer for a couple more weeks and would like to apply to some 3L-friendly firms. I can PM you if you'd prefer. Thanks.

Perseus_I

Bronze

Post by Perseus_I » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any good info on Haynes Boone (Dallas) selectivity? Or just the general culture?
I was told that they expect so many back from fast track that they will be more selective than usual. One associate estimated around top 15-20% for UT
Does the same go for H&B Houston?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:54 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

Yea that makes sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:08 am

I also got shutout by JW (alt. for Austin office), despite top 10% & TLR. I think Richie's right about it being a very Texan firm. I also rsvp'ed yes for that Thurs. reception Perseus -- sooo, go just for the free drinks??
Last edited by Cade McNown on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:25 am

Cade McNown wrote:I also got shutout by JW (alt. for Austin office), despite top 10% & TLR. I think Richie's right about it being a very Texan firm. I also got rsvp'ed yes for that Thurs. reception Perseus -- sooo, go just for the free drinks??
What do you mean "got RSVP'ed?" Did you get some kind of confirmation? I signed up for it, but never got a response. I didn't bid on them for oci, so I suspect that has something to do with it.

Cade McNown

Silver

Post by Cade McNown » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:51 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Cade McNown wrote:I also got shutout by JW (alt. for Austin office), despite top 10% & TLR. I think Richie's right about it being a very Texan firm. I also got rsvp'ed yes for that Thurs. reception Perseus -- sooo, go just for the free drinks??
What do you mean "got RSVP'ed?" Did you get some kind of confirmation? I signed up for it, but never got a response. I didn't bid on them for oci, so I suspect that has something to do with it.
Typo; fixed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm top 2-3% at UH/SMU and didn't get a preselect from them. Their cutoffs here were top 20-25%...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm top 2-3% at UH/SMU and didn't get a preselect from them. Their cutoffs here were top 20-25%...
Right. It's a variety of factors. I got a Houston preselect and my GPA is under yours, albeit not by much.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:59 pm

NYC JOB FAIR: Rejection letters via snail mail from Cahill screener (dated August 9th), Davis Polk screener (dated August 6th). So far, this user has not heard either way from

Ropes
Weil
Akin Gump
Baker Botts
King & Spalding

(did not interview with S&C, Skadden, or Fried Frank)

Has anyone gotten a rejection letter from Weil or Ropes? I know callbacks have gone out for both, and I heard of someone getting a rejection email from Boston Ropes. So does that mean they could still make more calls, or not?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:06 am

I interviewed with Haynes & Boone in NYC last month (mass mail) and I have Haynes & Boone, Houston as one of my interviews. I just realized their icon says "no multiple interviews." What should I do?

EDIT: For the benefit of future generations, I'd like to point out that the firm permitted me to interview for an additional office in Texas. Does this mean that, in general, "no multiple interviews" does not include interviews arranged apart from a school interview program? Here, that seems to be the case.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:24 pm

Screeners from NYC job fair:

Email rejections from Ropes & Gray and Weil this morning. I guess if you haven't gotten these emails, you might still have hope. Still waiting for:

Baker Botts
K&S
Akin Gump

yellowmellow

New

Post by yellowmellow » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Anyone who did the LA job fair heard anything back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Native Texan attending OOS T14 here--I mass-mailed some TX firms about about 10 days ago and did a couple Big 3 interviews via OCI last week. Haven't heard even a single peep...anybody ITT know if this is normal/good/bad?? Do Texas firms move really slowly, or have I been soft dinged?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Native Texan attending OOS T14 here--I mass-mailed some TX firms about about 10 days ago and did a couple Big 3 interviews via OCI last week. Haven't heard even a single peep...anybody ITT know if this is normal/good/bad?? Do Texas firms move really slowly, or have I been soft dinged?
I am in the same position and have heard nothing

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”