are biglaw associates given laptops? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

are biglaw associates given laptops?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:28 pm

was an SA last year (v50) and my understanding was that associates were not given laptops...then again, I never asked, and of course everyone at work used desktops. curious - is it standard for v50 firms to give laptops to their associates? I assume they must, but again, did not see any as an SA. thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: are biglaw associates given laptops?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:36 pm

SA at a secondary market V100. We were given laptops as SAs...and it seemed like most attorneys used laptops (with a docking station at their desk).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:52 pm

SA at V50. Associates are given the choice of desktop or laptop with docking station.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:50 pm

v15. no one used desktops. everyone was giving laptop + docking station. double monitors though, dont know if this is standard but this is HUGE for work productivity

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:47 pm

V15, everyone uses desktops. Laptops are available if you want but are generally not used.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ben4847

Silver

Post by ben4847 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:49 pm

my firm gives a choice between desktop or laptop with docking station. SA's have desktops only

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:21 pm

My firm has all desktops. I was under the impression that they wanted people using desktops because they don't want confidential files to end up on the HDD of a laptop that is stolen/lost. I never actually asked anyone to confirm this, it was just my suspicion.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:22 pm

bdubs wrote:My firm has all desktops. I was under the impression that they wanted people using desktops because they don't want confidential files to end up on the HDD of a laptop that is stolen/lost. I never actually asked anyone to confirm this, it was just my suspicion.
How do they expect people to work from home then? do they at least give you a tech budget?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bdubs wrote:My firm has all desktops. I was under the impression that they wanted people using desktops because they don't want confidential files to end up on the HDD of a laptop that is stolen/lost. I never actually asked anyone to confirm this, it was just my suspicion.
How do they expect people to work from home then? do they at least give you a tech budget?
Remote access software (Citrix).

They expect everyone to have a computer at home. It would be weird if you didn't have a personal computer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”