OCI - 3.45 at USC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vizio24

New

OCI - 3.45 at USC

Post by vizio24 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Median is obviously considered 3.3 even though we only know the mean per class is 3.3

Thoughts on success at OCI? Bidding only LA.

I've heard a lot of the firms with 3.3 min GPA requirements actually don't take anyone below a 3.4, so perhaps a 3.45 isn't that good, but still solid.

glitter178

Silver

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Post by glitter178 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm interested in this as well. I have a 3.54 and want only LA.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:11 pm

I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:18 pm

chimp wrote:I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

Where are the class sizes listed?

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:21 pm

glitter178 wrote:
chimp wrote:I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

Where are the class sizes listed?
NALP Directory has past class sizes and projected class size for most firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vizio24

New

Post by vizio24 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:33 pm

CSO's emailed numbers are way off because their below 3.4 category includes a lot of IP and diversity hires and is based on whether a firm hired at least ONE person in the previous 5 years, not ITE.

I know a few current 2nd year associates at a several firms in LA (yes I am old). They put me in contact with their partners and I ended up having lunch with one at a firm I won't disclose (because its very small for a big firm), and one at Sheppard Mullin. The partner at the one I won't disclose said he hasn't ever hired anyone with a 3.3 from USC (Simplicity listing them as a 3.3 min firm), and the Sheppard Mullin partner was bashing the lottery process because he said he doesnt even want to interview people "noticeably below 3.4, unless they have a real excuse as to why they have average grades."

I was pretty stunned.

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:39 pm

vizio24 wrote:

CSO's emailed numbers are way off because their below 3.4 category includes a lot of IP and diversity hires and is based on whether a firm hired at least ONE person in the previous 5 years, not ITE.

I know a few current 2nd year associates at a several firms in LA (yes I am old). They put me in contact with their partners and I ended up having lunch with one at a firm I won't disclose (because its very small for a big firm), and one at Sheppard Mullin. The partner at the one I won't disclose said he hasn't ever hired anyone with a 3.3 from USC (Simplicity listing them as a 3.3 min firm), and the Sheppard Mullin partner was bashing the lottery process because he said he doesnt even want to interview people "noticeably below 3.4, unless they have a real excuse as to why they have average grades."

I was pretty stunned.
Yikes.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 pm

glitter178 wrote:
vizio24 wrote:

I was pretty stunned.
Yikes.
+1. This whole process is so weird and inefficient. Also, to be fair, at least a few of those years do include post-2008. It would be good to see how many people in a give range at a given firm were hired. At least one in the past five years is pretty misleadling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:28 pm

[quote="vizio24"][quote="chimp"]I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.[/quote]

I was pretty stunned.[/quote]

WTF, why even bother listing 3.3 minimum then? Why don't they list it higher?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

glitter178

Silver

Post by glitter178 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vizio24 wrote:

I was pretty stunned.
To give people a false sense of hope?

sequins

New

Post by sequins » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 pm

tag
(wanna see what the prospects are =S)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:03 pm

Perhaps they are just too lazy to change their cutoff for individual schools. The cutoff is also usually 3.3 at UCLA (where the curve is 3.2 and thus the cutoff more realistic). Then at T14's there is no cutoff listed? Just a guess.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Basically in the same boat. I spoke to a rising 3L who didn't have any crazy WE/softs and had a 3.5 last year, ended up with 11 interviews and a few callbacks, and one offer which (s)/he accepted.

I think most people 3.4+ get around 8-12 interviews and 2-3 callbacks. The 3L said the only people (s)/he knew who didn't end up with a job from OCI had <3.0-3.2 GPAs.

Whatever that's worth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

vizio24

New

Post by vizio24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Basically in the same boat. I spoke to a rising 3L who didn't have any crazy WE/softs and had a 3.5 last year, ended up with 11 interviews and a few callbacks, and one offer which (s)/he accepted.

I think most people 3.4+ get around 8-12 interviews and 2-3 callbacks. The 3L said the only people (s)/he knew who didn't end up with a job from OCI had <3.0-3.2 GPAs.

Whatever that's worth.
I realllllly hope 3.45+ is enough to comfortably land a biglaw job. That's gotta be somewhere around the top 1/3 of the class...and considering 40% of last year's 2L's got summer associate jobs (but that includes IP and diversity hires), top 1/3 should be good.....right?

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:46 pm

vizio24 wrote:I realllllly hope 3.45+ is enough to comfortably land a biglaw job. That's gotta be somewhere around the top 1/3 of the class...and considering 40% of last year's 2L's got summer associate jobs (but that includes IP and diversity hires), top 1/3 should be good.....right?
I think 3.45+ will likely land a biglaw SA but I wouldn't say "comfortably." But I might be a bit more pessimistic.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:50 pm

JJDancer wrote:
vizio24 wrote:I realllllly hope 3.45+ is enough to comfortably land a biglaw job. That's gotta be somewhere around the top 1/3 of the class...and considering 40% of last year's 2L's got summer associate jobs (but that includes IP and diversity hires), top 1/3 should be good.....right?
I think 3.45+ will likely land a biglaw SA but I wouldn't say "comfortably." But I might be a bit more pessimistic.
Also, unlike law school admissions, firm recruiting isn't a straight numbers game at 95% of firms. From what I've gathered, top half at USC has a shot at some type of S.A. (maybe even lower if tech background, etc.). Top third and up has a very good shot, but personality and fit seem to matter a great deal as well (unless we're talking about firms like Irell who seem to be willing to hire anyone with a pulse if they have top 10% grades and law review).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”