OCI - 3.45 at USC

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
vizio24
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 12:48 am

OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby vizio24 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Median is obviously considered 3.3 even though we only know the mean per class is 3.3

Thoughts on success at OCI? Bidding only LA.

I've heard a lot of the firms with 3.3 min GPA requirements actually don't take anyone below a 3.4, so perhaps a 3.45 isn't that good, but still solid.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby glitter178 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:00 pm

I'm interested in this as well. I have a 3.54 and want only LA.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby 071816 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:11 pm

I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby glitter178 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:18 pm

chimp wrote:I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.


Where are the class sizes listed?

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby 071816 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:21 pm

glitter178 wrote:
chimp wrote:I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.


Where are the class sizes listed?

NALP Directory has past class sizes and projected class size for most firms.

vizio24
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 12:48 am

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby vizio24 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:33 pm

chimp wrote:I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.



CSO's emailed numbers are way off because their below 3.4 category includes a lot of IP and diversity hires and is based on whether a firm hired at least ONE person in the previous 5 years, not ITE.

I know a few current 2nd year associates at a several firms in LA (yes I am old). They put me in contact with their partners and I ended up having lunch with one at a firm I won't disclose (because its very small for a big firm), and one at Sheppard Mullin. The partner at the one I won't disclose said he hasn't ever hired anyone with a 3.3 from USC (Simplicity listing them as a 3.3 min firm), and the Sheppard Mullin partner was bashing the lottery process because he said he doesnt even want to interview people "noticeably below 3.4, unless they have a real excuse as to why they have average grades."

I was pretty stunned.

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby glitter178 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:39 pm

vizio24 wrote:
chimp wrote:I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.



CSO's emailed numbers are way off because their below 3.4 category includes a lot of IP and diversity hires and is based on whether a firm hired at least ONE person in the previous 5 years, not ITE.

I know a few current 2nd year associates at a several firms in LA (yes I am old). They put me in contact with their partners and I ended up having lunch with one at a firm I won't disclose (because its very small for a big firm), and one at Sheppard Mullin. The partner at the one I won't disclose said he hasn't ever hired anyone with a 3.3 from USC (Simplicity listing them as a 3.3 min firm), and the Sheppard Mullin partner was bashing the lottery process because he said he doesnt even want to interview people "noticeably below 3.4, unless they have a real excuse as to why they have average grades."

I was pretty stunned.


Yikes.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby 071816 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:46 pm

glitter178 wrote:
vizio24 wrote:
chimp wrote:I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.



CSO's emailed numbers are way off because their below 3.4 category includes a lot of IP and diversity hires and is based on whether a firm hired at least ONE person in the previous 5 years, not ITE.

I know a few current 2nd year associates at a several firms in LA (yes I am old). They put me in contact with their partners and I ended up having lunch with one at a firm I won't disclose (because its very small for a big firm), and one at Sheppard Mullin. The partner at the one I won't disclose said he hasn't ever hired anyone with a 3.3 from USC (Simplicity listing them as a 3.3 min firm), and the Sheppard Mullin partner was bashing the lottery process because he said he doesnt even want to interview people "noticeably below 3.4, unless they have a real excuse as to why they have average grades."

I was pretty stunned.


Yikes.

+1. This whole process is so weird and inefficient. Also, to be fair, at least a few of those years do include post-2008. It would be good to see how many people in a give range at a given firm were hired. At least one in the past five years is pretty misleadling.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:28 pm

[quote="vizio24"][quote="chimp"]I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.[/quote]


CSO's emailed numbers are way off because their below 3.4 category includes a lot of IP and diversity hires and is based on whether a firm hired at least ONE person in the previous 5 years, not ITE.

I know a few current 2nd year associates at a several firms in LA (yes I am old). They put me in contact with their partners and I ended up having lunch with one at a firm I won't disclose (because its very small for a big firm), and one at Sheppard Mullin. The partner at the one I won't disclose said he hasn't ever hired anyone with a 3.3 from USC (Simplicity listing them as a 3.3 min firm), and the Sheppard Mullin partner was bashing the lottery process because he said he doesnt even want to interview people "noticeably below 3.4, unless they have a real excuse as to why they have average grades."

I was pretty stunned.[/quote]

WTF, why even bother listing 3.3 minimum then? Why don't they list it higher?

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby glitter178 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
vizio24 wrote:
chimp wrote:I mean, email the CSO and they'll let you know who has hired within your range in previous years. After that, personality and other intangibles will determine a lot. I would love to hear from USC folks who have gone through the process in the past though.

eta: It's scary that lots of LA firms have such small summer class sizes.



CSO's emailed numbers are way off because their below 3.4 category includes a lot of IP and diversity hires and is based on whether a firm hired at least ONE person in the previous 5 years, not ITE.

I know a few current 2nd year associates at a several firms in LA (yes I am old). They put me in contact with their partners and I ended up having lunch with one at a firm I won't disclose (because its very small for a big firm), and one at Sheppard Mullin. The partner at the one I won't disclose said he hasn't ever hired anyone with a 3.3 from USC (Simplicity listing them as a 3.3 min firm), and the Sheppard Mullin partner was bashing the lottery process because he said he doesnt even want to interview people "noticeably below 3.4, unless they have a real excuse as to why they have average grades."

I was pretty stunned.


WTF, why even bother listing 3.3 minimum then? Why don't they list it higher?


To give people a false sense of hope?

sequins
Posts: 55
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:44 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby sequins » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:46 pm

tag
(wanna see what the prospects are =S)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:03 pm

WTF, why even bother listing 3.3 minimum then? Why don't they list it higher?


Perhaps they are just too lazy to change their cutoff for individual schools. The cutoff is also usually 3.3 at UCLA (where the curve is 3.2 and thus the cutoff more realistic). Then at T14's there is no cutoff listed? Just a guess.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Basically in the same boat. I spoke to a rising 3L who didn't have any crazy WE/softs and had a 3.5 last year, ended up with 11 interviews and a few callbacks, and one offer which (s)/he accepted.

I think most people 3.4+ get around 8-12 interviews and 2-3 callbacks. The 3L said the only people (s)/he knew who didn't end up with a job from OCI had <3.0-3.2 GPAs.

Whatever that's worth.

vizio24
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 12:48 am

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby vizio24 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Basically in the same boat. I spoke to a rising 3L who didn't have any crazy WE/softs and had a 3.5 last year, ended up with 11 interviews and a few callbacks, and one offer which (s)/he accepted.

I think most people 3.4+ get around 8-12 interviews and 2-3 callbacks. The 3L said the only people (s)/he knew who didn't end up with a job from OCI had <3.0-3.2 GPAs.

Whatever that's worth.

I realllllly hope 3.45+ is enough to comfortably land a biglaw job. That's gotta be somewhere around the top 1/3 of the class...and considering 40% of last year's 2L's got summer associate jobs (but that includes IP and diversity hires), top 1/3 should be good.....right?

JJDancer
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby JJDancer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:46 pm

vizio24 wrote:I realllllly hope 3.45+ is enough to comfortably land a biglaw job. That's gotta be somewhere around the top 1/3 of the class...and considering 40% of last year's 2L's got summer associate jobs (but that includes IP and diversity hires), top 1/3 should be good.....right?


I think 3.45+ will likely land a biglaw SA but I wouldn't say "comfortably." But I might be a bit more pessimistic.

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: OCI - 3.45 at USC

Postby 071816 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:50 pm

JJDancer wrote:
vizio24 wrote:I realllllly hope 3.45+ is enough to comfortably land a biglaw job. That's gotta be somewhere around the top 1/3 of the class...and considering 40% of last year's 2L's got summer associate jobs (but that includes IP and diversity hires), top 1/3 should be good.....right?


I think 3.45+ will likely land a biglaw SA but I wouldn't say "comfortably." But I might be a bit more pessimistic.

Also, unlike law school admissions, firm recruiting isn't a straight numbers game at 95% of firms. From what I've gathered, top half at USC has a shot at some type of S.A. (maybe even lower if tech background, etc.). Top third and up has a very good shot, but personality and fit seem to matter a great deal as well (unless we're talking about firms like Irell who seem to be willing to hire anyone with a pulse if they have top 10% grades and law review).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.