Can I say this in OCI? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I say this in OCI?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:10 pm

I have an upcoming OCI with a V100 (v50-100). It's definitely the firm I want to work for, and I will definitely choose them if they accept me. Would it be ok for me to tell them this bluntly during the interview? thanks!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Can I say this in OCI?

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:28 pm

Sure. No law firm likes rejection. Be ready to explain your eagerness if asked "why this law firm ?".

alabamabound

Bronze

Post by alabamabound » Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:17 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Sure. No law firm likes rejection. Be ready to explain your eagerness if asked "why this law firm ?".
For more selective firms, this isn't always TCR. I've had partners tell me that OCI is like dating to the extent that students who are blatantly desperate for an offer from a firm might end up harming their chances there. Probably not true across the board, but it was something I heard more than once during OCI.

rikkitikki

New

Post by rikkitikki » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:09 pm

I can't see how this would hurt you. I think it would show eagerness and that you are not just filling in your interview schedule.

Regards to the desperation argument, I don't think that tracks. You aren't saying "I want ANY offer" you are saying, "I want YOUR offer."

Bottom line, if you don't say it and you don't get the callback, then at least you'll know you did everything you could.

I'm not basing this on EIW/OCI experience, but I have done hiring before in previous positions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:28 pm

during my OCI screener with the firm I most wanted to work for, I made this clear in the interview. as I was leaving, I turned to my interviewer and said "just to reiterate, I'd really love to work at your firm. you guys are my top choice. I've done my research and bid you guys #1 for a reason. thanks" *handshake*

got the callback and an offer and now am working there as an associate. tell them if you mean it and have good reasons for it. if you do that, you won't come off as desperate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:40 pm

There are two dangers to this, one of which you can fix.

First, they might think you are insincere. Having a good reason why they are your dream firm will help this.

Second, they might think you are desperate. No one wants a clingy person they think is desperate for them and there is no way to allay this fear unless your stats are so good you could obviously have anyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:57 pm

OP here. Thank you for the advice; I think I will articulate a few concise reasons why they're my top choice.

I have another question: is it appropriate demeanor in OCI to have your portfolio with you, have a notepad out with pre-written questions and info about the firm, and to refer to it and write on it during the interview? Does this show preparedness, options, or is it a bad thing?

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thank you for the advice; I think I will articulate a few concise reasons why they're my top choice.

I have another question: is it appropriate demeanor in OCI to have your portfolio with you, have a notepad out with pre-written questions and info about the firm, and to refer to it and write on it during the interview? Does this show preparedness, options, or is it a bad thing?
Flame?

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thank you for the advice; I think I will articulate a few concise reasons why they're my top choice.

You should have questions but you should not have them in front of you. Just remember them.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:44 pm

You can have a blank pad if you can take notes without looking down. Under no circumstances should you have something written/printed visible.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:08 pm

LawIdiot86 wrote:

You can have a blank pad if you can take notes without looking down. Under no circumstances should you have something written/printed visible.
I wouldn't even take notes. Writing stuff as an interviewee just seems so stilted and awkward.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Is it OK to make this known in the cover letter? I have two firms that I am targeting at OCI (neither are V100s or anything even like that, but both are NLJ firms) in my home area that I want to make it known that a) I want the interview and b) I want to work there.

Zeile

Bronze

Post by Zeile » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:22 pm

tagged

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:26 pm

I would only do this if you have an articulable, accurate, and specific reason you want to work at that firm. Otherwise it kind of comes off like you did the calculus and thought they were the highest-ranked place you might have a shot or something.

If you have something short of the OMGTHISISTHEPERFECTFIRM reason for wanting to work there, then you can always hedge by just expressing really genuine, specific enthusiasm about the firm but stopping short of saying you would definitely accept. It sounds less desperate, it has most of the same positive effect, and it doesn't paint you into a corner if you later decide that actually, you'd rather work elsewhere.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:33 pm

Whatever you do, do NOT go into interviews with prewritten questions or take notes during an interview. (1) The whole point of screening interviews is to have a conversation. What are you going to take notes about? (2) You only need to have a few questions prepared, you don't want to show the interviewer that you can't remember 3 questions.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:19 pm

To answer OP: You can make clear that the firm is your top choice in a more subtle, effective way than saying "I LIKE U, I CAN HAZ JOB?" Do your homework on the firm and explain why you think its a good fit personally and professionally. You can also reach out to an associate in their office who graduated from your school and bring that up in the interview.
Emma. wrote:Whatever you do, do NOT go into interviews with prewritten questions or take notes during an interview. (1) The whole point of screening interviews is to have a conversation. What are you going to take notes about? (2) You only need to have a few questions prepared, you don't want to show the interviewer that you can't remember 3 questions.
This. One note about the conversational tone. You want to have an organic conversation, but that comes from doing your homework about the firm and your interviewers. I typed up a firm "brief" for each firm with which I interviewed: Vault and Chambers rankings or awards; number of attorneys/practice groups (from NALP); specific office characteristics; major clients or recent cases; special characteristics (e.g., JonesDay=black box compensation); and any recent articles about the firm. I would do the same for the interviewers (almae matres, practice areas, rank, clerkships). If you do that, you can talk for days. Just don't make it sound creep-stalkerish.
LawIdiot86 wrote: You can have a blank pad if you can take notes without looking down. Under no circumstances should you have something written/printed visible.
This, too. You can (but needn't) bring in a professional portfolio (not something you just bought at Target) and keep in it copies of your resume, writing sample, transcript, etc. Do not open the portfolio unless you are asked for one of these documents, though.

New

Post by 123321 » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:45 pm

In my experience, the screening interviews were much less an exercise in rattling off information you know about the firm, and much more an open discussion about my past and future. Anyone can talk about how much she loves a firm for 20 minutes or so but at the end of the day the screeners want to know why you are the right candidate. You need to be able to recite your resume from memory and package/spin any experience you have to the firm's practice areas that are most relevant and intersting to you. Id approach the interview much more as a sales pitch than an information gathering exercise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”