BC/BU OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone at BU confirm whether or not the lottery has already run? I thought the preselects were not lottery picks (I thought that stage would happen later), but a friend seems to have heard otherwise. Thanks.

I'm not sure, but seeing as we get to sign up starting at noon today, I would bet that the selections that we can see now include the lottery.

True but there is also something on Symplicity called "lottery sign up." I also did not receive invites from my third, fourth, and fifth choices even though they weren't super popular or selective, making me think the lottery hasn't run.

"Lottery sign-up" also starts at noon today. I hope they haven't run it yet, but I'm not overly optimistic..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:46 am

Did anyone from BU or BC get a Latham interview? I got them as an alternate and am hoping its partially because they're interviewing 3Ls who didnt know if they had offers

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:04 am

I got a Latham invite. I am a 2L in top 10% with LR. I am hoping they will consider me for SF/SV. I think I expressed that preference somewhere.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:16 am

FOR BU: Lottery already happened. Probably just your highest ranked firm that you were preselected.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:FOR BU: Lottery already happened. Probably just your highest ranked firm that you were preselected.

Thanks. Where did you hear that from? I tried emailing CDO but they are slow to respond.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:FOR BU: Lottery already happened. Probably just your highest ranked firm that you were preselected.

Thanks. Where did you hear that from? I tried emailing CDO but they are slow to respond.

CDO Careers site.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

CDO Careers site.

Okay, thanks. I also just now got confirmation from CDO.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:57 pm

If you dont get an interview with a particular firm through OCI, can you apply directly? Or is that inappropriate with OCI firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If you dont get an interview with a particular firm through OCI, can you apply directly? Or is that inappropriate with OCI firms?

Wondering the same thing.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If you dont get an interview with a particular firm through OCI, can you apply directly? Or is that inappropriate with OCI firms?

Wondering the same thing.

I don't know about BU, but the fall recruiting FAQ page on BC's website says that if we are interested in an employer and they didn't preselect us, we should apply directly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:35 pm

Preselected by a firm that already CB -> dinged me over the summer. I figure I take the interview anyway and at best look very committed - at worst I look like a desperate fool and I'm in the same place I was before the interview.

Any thoughts? Ever happened to anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Preselected by a firm that already CB -> dinged me over the summer. I figure I take the interview anyway and at best look very committed - at worst I look like a desperate fool and I'm in the same place I was before the interview.

I would only do this if you were not CBed, just dinged. The legal world in Boston is small, people will know you as that guy. Now if you were dinged after a screener, then I think re-try with a new screener is okay. But at a CB, the firm had 2-3 hours to examine you---let it go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:41 pm

how disadvantaged are we that people are already doing callbacks at firms that we won't interview with until late August?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how disadvantaged are we that people are already doing callbacks at firms that we won't interview with until late August?

I don't think so. They are leaving open enough spots for us I think.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Preselected by a firm that already CB -> dinged me over the summer. I figure I take the interview anyway and at best look very committed - at worst I look like a desperate fool and I'm in the same place I was before the interview.

Completely unqualified opinion: Fuck it. Let them ding you again if they really don't like you. I'm never one to send good money after bad but what do you honestly have to lose by taking the interview again? 2-3 hours? Your pride?

Who knows, maybe you just interviewed with the wrong person...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Completely unqualified opinion: Fuck it. Let them ding you again if they really don't like you. I'm never one to send good money after bad but what do you honestly have to lose by taking the interview again? 2-3 hours? Your pride?

This person received a CB---meaning they interviewed with hiring partners et al. Correct me if a wrong. I would only do it if I were dinged at a screening interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This person received a CB---meaning they interviewed with hiring partners et al. Correct me if a wrong. I would only do it if I were dinged at a screening interview.

First poster. Yes, no screener, just 2 hour CB (or similar to CB since I wasn't actually being called back for a second interview). I'm honestly not sure if I met with the hiring partners or not as some of the people they put on the list prior to the CB weren't actually the ones that showed up to the CB to interview me.

Also, it isn't a Boston firm so unless someone from the firm cares enough to call someone they know in another firms Boston office that I interview with then I wouldn't think being "that guy" would play a huge role. With that in mind, I still feel like the potential downside to taking the interview is negligible (upside likely the same but meh). If someone still thinks it is a crap idea though please voice it.

Edit: I have very few interviews through OCI and I'm having trouble telling myself I should just turn one down, but I will agree that since I was already at CB stage then dinged that it is highly unlikely I'll get much out of it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

First poster. Yes, no screener, just 2 hour CB (or similar to CB since I wasn't actually being called back for a second interview). I'm honestly not sure if I met with the hiring partners or not as some of the people they put on the list prior to the CB weren't actually the ones that showed up to the CB to interview me.

Also, it isn't a Boston firm so unless someone from the firm cares enough to call someone they know in another firms Boston office that I interview with then I wouldn't think being "that guy" would play a huge role. With that in mind, I still feel like the potential downside to taking the interview is negligible (upside likely the same but meh). If someone still thinks it is a crap idea though please voice it.

Edit: I have very few interviews through OCI and I'm having trouble telling myself I should just turn one down, but I will agree that since I was already at CB stage then dinged that it is highly unlikely I'll get much out of it.

I'm the quoted Anon---just do it bro!

HWS08

Postby HWS08 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 am

Regarding applying to firms we didn't get as pre-selects: does anyone know when the best time to send applications is? If we're an alternate for one of the firms does it make sense to apply now or would it be better to wait until we're sure no spots will open up?

BBLobster

Postby BBLobster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:34 am

HWS08 wrote:Regarding applying to firms we didn't get as pre-selects: does anyone know when the best time to send applications is? If we're an alternate for one of the firms does it make sense to apply now or would it be better to wait until we're sure no spots will open up?

I'd do it immediately, it won't make a difference and they probably won't even look at it. If you really care about timing, do it Sept. 1 since most will be done with OCI by then

Many firms are fighting for the same people and would rather have fewer than greater numbers of summers, so they'll add on post-OCI to meet their projections for offers / acceptance rate. Many firms even ended up taking 1Ls who applied in December to fill out their class, though for some that's a strategy to be more selective before 2L OCI

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:53 pm

Got an e-mail from BC career services that they are going to start notifying alternates. Has anyone gotten off a wait list yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:23 pm

x2 Has anyone gotten an alternate from BC?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:20 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:32 pm

I got an alternate at BC. Would rather not say the firm name (although it is not the same as the above poster). Students who went through OCI in the past told me the number of alternates that get interviews averages out to less than one per firm, so I'm not banking on getting any more.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:40 pm

Any BU alternates?

Return to “Legal Employment”