BC/BU OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:51 pm

Skadden Boston offer. CB about three weeks before.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden Boston offer. CB about three weeks before.

Nice job!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:hey guys, I am applying for Cooley Boston. If anyone has any knowledge about Cooley Boston's CB process and offer timeline, please let me know!

Thanks!

I don't know about Boston, but I did a callback at their headquarters. At least over there, they are really laid back (and even my screener interviewer in Boston was dressed less formally). I felt like I overdressed in a black suit and blue shirt. Maybe Boston is more conservative, but Cooley might be one of those firms where you may wish to show a little more personality. But I really can't speak for Boston.

It also took me a week to get dinged. It came by email, so it was quicker.

Thank you!

anyone else has info on this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:36 pm

CB in September. Offer a week later. It was a Friday and lots of people were wearing jeans. You are interviewing so you should wear a conservative suit/shirt/tie. At least four people at BC have/had offers. At least one has accepted (last I heard). The Boston office has a significant BC presence and is looking to fill a class of five SAs in 2013.

What is your background and why are you focused on Cooley specifically? IP/patent work or just general interest in tech/VC practice?

Postby 4444 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Skadden Boston offer. CB about three weeks before.

Mind saying/PMing BU or BC? Interviewed three weeks ago and thinking there's not a good chance now...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:20 pm

How many of us have multiple callbacks we are still waiting to hear back on?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:08 pm

still waiting on K&L Gates - CB about four weeks ago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:23 pm

still waiting on 3, callbacks ranging from 2-3 weeks ago

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:27 pm

Any movement today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Murtha Cullina? I just looked through my OCI stuff and realized I haven't even heard back from my screener. At this point, I'd assume that means it is a no. But was still wondering if anyone had any luck there?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Murtha Cullina? I just looked through my OCI stuff and realized I haven't even heard back from my screener. At this point, I'd assume that means it is a no. But was still wondering if anyone had any luck there?

know of at least two who were given CBs from BC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Murtha Cullina? I just looked through my OCI stuff and realized I haven't even heard back from my screener. At this point, I'd assume that means it is a no. But was still wondering if anyone had any luck there?

also never heard anything from them (BU). but a while back in the thread someone got a rejection from them and others have gotten CBs so who knows?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Someone I know just turned them down, maybe some movement.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 pm

So this random because it was a mass mail and not through OCI, but I felt like I needed to anonymously share somehow.

I applied to Quinn Emanuel and got a letter (which I'm assuming is standard form) saying they enjoyed meeting with me and were impressed by my qualifications. Thanked me so much for interviewing with them, but competition is just so tough that they couldn't give me a CB................

Never had a screener

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So this random because it was a mass mail and not through OCI, but I felt like I needed to anonymously share somehow.

I applied to Quinn Emanuel and got a letter (which I'm assuming is standard form) saying they enjoyed meeting with me and were impressed by my qualifications. Thanked me so much for interviewing with them, but competition is just so tough that they couldn't give me a CB................

Never had a screener

That's pretty bad. And yup, these rejections are very hollow and you can really see through the lies.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So this random because it was a mass mail and not through OCI, but I felt like I needed to anonymously share somehow.

Never had a screener

That's pretty bad. And yup, these rejections are very hollow and you can really see through the lies.

Sometimes it seems like they don't even try (since they sort of have no incentive to save face when it comes to kids they are rejecting). I once got someone else's rejection letter, called up the firm to let them know, and the firm asked if I would like the proper one sent to me. I said "nah, I'm good".

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Never had a screener

Sometimes it seems like they don't even try (since they sort of have no incentive to save face when it comes to kids they are rejecting). I once got someone else's rejection letter, called up the firm to let them know, and the firm asked if I would like the proper one sent to me. I said "nah, I'm good".

Not as good, but I had a screener with a partner at a Boston firm that sent two people to OCI at BU and the day after my screener, I got an email that said "so and so (wrong partner) really enjoyed meeting you and was really impressed, but we unfortunately blah.." it threw me off at first because I had no idea who they were talking about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:58 am

Anyone else still waiting for news? I still have one callback I'm hoping to hear some good news about next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else still waiting for news? I still have one callback I'm hoping to hear some good news about next week.

Received an offer this week (still waiting on another). Keep hope alive!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:00 pm

Above poster -- congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Above poster -- congrats!

Thanks!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Anecdotally, how much did prior WE help you guys this year at OCI during interviews and CBs? Does it seem like firms preferred certain types of WE over others?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anecdotally, how much did prior WE help you guys this year at OCI during interviews and CBs? Does it seem like firms preferred certain types of WE over others?

It made a huge difference with Ropes. I know very few people who got callbacks there without work experience. But generally, it doesn't really matter what you did as long as you can articulate why you are interested in law or a particular area of practice and have it sound meaningful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:38 pm

Anecdotally, I think people with WE did much better than people without, at least at BU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:15 pm

didnt make much of a diff for me at bu

Return to “Legal Employment”