BC/BU OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do people feel BC/BU are doing in OCI right now in terms of firm jobs?


My general sense so far is that it is an absolute slaughter


Yeah? I honestly thought it would have rebounded a bit and been pretty good. My assumption was that the top 25% or so was going to be fine, with essentially anyone in the top 1/3 at least contending for some good positions. Am I totally off in that assumption?


Top 25% is not fine. I'm sure there are people around top 25% who had success at OCI, but it's far from safe. Considering the number of people in top 10% without jobs, top 25% is not safe.

From talking to people, I'd guess ~25% is about the percentage of kids who got a job through OCI this year.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do people feel BC/BU are doing in OCI right now in terms of firm jobs?


My general sense so far is that it is an absolute slaughter


Yeah? I honestly thought it would have rebounded a bit and been pretty good. My assumption was that the top 25% or so was going to be fine, with essentially anyone in the top 1/3 at least contending for some good positions. Am I totally off in that assumption?


Top 25% is not fine. I'm sure there are people around top 25% who had success at OCI, but it's far from safe. Considering the number of people in top 10% without jobs, top 25% is not safe.

From talking to people, I'd guess ~25% is about the percentage of kids who got a job through OCI this year.


I think it's more than 25%, but thats just my opinion based on only people I know of having landed a gig.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:36 pm

I think it's much less. I don't know anyone with a job and I am top 25% and I know a lot of people who are top 15%. Only people I know OF who got jobs were either IP or LR/top 10%

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:50 pm

Curious how approx. top 10%, non-LR folks fared. Figured that had to be a relatively good bet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:Curious how approx. top 10%, non-LR folks fared. Figured that had to be a relatively good bet.


It's not a bad position to be in for sure. But that doesn't means that there isnt a pretty good chance of striking out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the person on here who said they got an Edwards offer- it came on a Friday right? in the middle of the day?


friday early afternoon


Also EW offer, also Friday afternoon.


Did anyone actually get an offer from Edwards this last Friday the 28th?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think it's much less. I don't know anyone with a job and I am top 25% and I know a lot of people who are top 15%. Only people I know OF who got jobs were either IP or LR/top 10%


No. I know non top 10%, non law review with jobs at BU (Mind you some are IP).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the person on here who said they got an Edwards offer- it came on a Friday right? in the middle of the day?


friday early afternoon


Also EW offer, also Friday afternoon.


Did anyone actually get an offer from Edwards this last Friday the 28th?


Not that I know of.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How do people feel BC/BU are doing in OCI right now in terms of firm jobs?


My general sense so far is that it is an absolute slaughter


Yeah? I honestly thought it would have rebounded a bit and been pretty good. My assumption was that the top 25% or so was going to be fine, with essentially anyone in the top 1/3 at least contending for some good positions. Am I totally off in that assumption?


Top 25% is not fine. I'm sure there are people around top 25% who had success at OCI, but it's far from safe. Considering the number of people in top 10% without jobs, top 25% is not safe.

From talking to people, I'd guess ~25% is about the percentage of kids who got a job through OCI this year.


FWIW, talking to BU people, I'd say that top 1/3rd had a shot at most firms. That said, I also know top 20% LR people that missed out. I also knew people closer to median that managed to snag a big firm job.

Put simply I think top 1/3rd + Personality/WE/URM had a better shot that the generic top 10%ers who didn't have WE or weren't amazing interviewers. That's just my general sense.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:52 pm

Ditto what above poster said. I would also add that people who had connections to New England also did better than those who completely lacked them (at least in Boston). For example, my resume screamed another city, and a bunch of firms like Bingham and K&L Gates wouldn't even do screeners with me. (I'm a top 10% + LR + WE type, but other Law Reviewers with WE got callbacks at Bingham and K&L Gates.)

At least based on my personal experiences, personality is really important for most firms. So if you don't get top grades, your personality can carry you a long way. However, if you're vying for Ropes, work experience is important. Their summer class is older on average compared to other firms, and this was also confirmed through my conversations with other people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:51 pm

hey guys, I am applying for Cooley Boston. If anyone has any knowledge about Cooley Boston's CB process and offer timeline, please let me know!

Thanks!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey guys, I am applying for Cooley Boston. If anyone has any knowledge about Cooley Boston's CB process and offer timeline, please let me know!

Thanks!


They make most of their offers on the spot, although they might waitlist people. Pretty sure their summer class might be filled or closed to it at this point.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:hey guys, I am applying for Cooley Boston. If anyone has any knowledge about Cooley Boston's CB process and offer timeline, please let me know!

Thanks!


They make most of their offers on the spot, although they might waitlist people. Pretty sure their summer class might be filled or closed to it at this point.


what about 3L applications for them? Do you have any information on that? I really appreciate it.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:hey guys, I am applying for Cooley Boston. If anyone has any knowledge about Cooley Boston's CB process and offer timeline, please let me know!

Thanks!


They make most of their offers on the spot, although they might waitlist people. Pretty sure their summer class might be filled or closed to it at this point.


If I may also ask, does Cooley Boston have a high CB/offer ratio?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:31 pm


FWIW, talking to BU people, I'd say that top 1/3rd had a shot at most firms. That said, I also know top 20% LR people that missed out. I also knew people closer to median that managed to snag a big firm job.

Put simply I think top 1/3rd + Personality/WE/URM had a better shot that the generic top 10%ers who didn't have WE or weren't amazing interviewers. That's just my general sense.


+1

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:hey guys, I am applying for Cooley Boston. If anyone has any knowledge about Cooley Boston's CB process and offer timeline, please let me know!

Thanks!


I don't know about Boston, but I did a callback at their headquarters. At least over there, they are really laid back (and even my screener interviewer in Boston was dressed less formally). I felt like I overdressed in a black suit and blue shirt. Maybe Boston is more conservative, but Cooley might be one of those firms where you may wish to show a little more personality. But I really can't speak for Boston.

It also took me a week to get dinged. It came by email, so it was quicker.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:59 pm

Anyone received a post-CB rejection from Foley Hoag? Did a CB there weeks ago (don't go to BU/BC), and still haven't heard anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone received a post-CB rejection from Foley Hoag? Did a CB there weeks ago (don't go to BU/BC), and still haven't heard anything.


Have they been in touch or have you followed up? It seems like enough time has passed by for you to touch in and show continued interest, if you haven't done so already.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone received a post-CB rejection from Foley Hoag? Did a CB there weeks ago (don't go to BU/BC), and still haven't heard anything.


Have they been in touch or have you followed up? It seems like enough time has passed by for you to touch in and show continued interest, if you haven't done so already.


I emailed the recruiter a few weeks ago, but didn't hear anything. Callback was almost mid-August. I'm wondering if anyone got dinged from them post-CB yet, or if they're one of those firms that does all their rejections in a nice big batch at the end of the hiring season. I'm assuming a rejection, but I'd be pleasantly surprised with an offer, which I'd definitely take over the firm I'm planning on accepting at.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 am

Could just be because I struck out (top 20%, secondary journal, work experience), but I felt like OCI was pretty rough this year. Good thing BC rescheduled that "Beyond OCI" panel, I'm sure that will be super helpful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Could just be because I struck out (top 20%, secondary journal, work experience), but I felt like OCI was pretty rough this year. Good thing BC rescheduled that "Beyond OCI" panel, I'm sure that will be super helpful.


Yeah, that is rough. But you're not alone. There's some megathread here about people at T-6's striking out and lots of people in those schools coming close to striking out. But the good news for you is that you can go for DOJ, which is probably more humane and amazing over the long-term.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could just be because I struck out (top 20%, secondary journal, work experience), but I felt like OCI was pretty rough this year. Good thing BC rescheduled that "Beyond OCI" panel, I'm sure that will be super helpful.


Yeah, that is rough. But you're not alone. There's some megathread here about people at T-6's striking out and lots of people in those schools coming close to striking out. But the good news for you is that you can go for DOJ, which is probably more humane and amazing over the long-term.


I hope first poster is being sarcastic about the panel being helpful.. the panel will be a joke

And I for sure hope that second poster is kidding about DOJ instead.. DOJ is more competitive than firm hiring and the application has already closed

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone received a post-CB rejection from Foley Hoag? Did a CB there weeks ago (don't go to BU/BC), and still haven't heard anything.


Have they been in touch or have you followed up? It seems like enough time has passed by for you to touch in and show continued interest, if you haven't done so already.


So no one here has been rejected from Foley post-CB yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Could just be because I struck out (top 20%, secondary journal, work experience), but I felt like OCI was pretty rough this year. Good thing BC rescheduled that "Beyond OCI" panel, I'm sure that will be super helpful.


Yeah, that is rough. But you're not alone. There's some megathread here about people at T-6's striking out and lots of people in those schools coming close to striking out. But the good news for you is that you can go for DOJ, which is probably more humane and amazing over the long-term.


I hope first poster is being sarcastic about the panel being helpful.. the panel will be a joke

And I for sure hope that second poster is kidding about DOJ instead.. DOJ is more competitive than firm hiring and the application has already closed


I meant DOJ honors next year. If you look at the DOJ Honors thread, the government takes a variety of candidates, and you don't have to do the SLIP Program. Honors is much less dependent on things like where you went to school or if you have enough geographic ties.

I don't mean to discount OP's frustrations. I wholeheartedly understand them, and I agree it's awful and it sucks. But I was trying to be encouraging. We all have a tendency to think short-term ("big law or bust") when that isn't the case. I just wish OP all the best.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273142
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: BC/BU OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:42 pm

I'm the person who first posted about the BC panel above. I was indeed being sarcastic. It was just a lot of the same advice, but my takeaway is that I am SOL when it comes to a firm job. I was kind of hoping they'd have people there who managed to get a big firm job outside of OCI.

Thanks for the advice about DOJ honors, but I'm not really interested in gov/PI or being in DC (that's why I chose to be in Boston for law school). I'll probably end up settling for a mid-size firm or in-house. I would just really like to get paid this summer.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.